1Password 6.aap won't recognize password I use successfully in browser

greed
greed
Community Member

I opened a 1Password account quite a while ago and promptly misplaced the master password. With no password recovery option, I opened another account which I am successfully using with a Firefox browser.

I have now downloaded and installed the 1Password 6.aap for my Mac which is running OS Sierra Version 10.12.6.

It asks for my master password but won’t except the password that I successfully use when accessing through the browser. I suspect that my old account hasn’t been deleted and that the 1Password 6.aap is somehow referencing that old account. How can I solve this problem?

This issue also prevents me from adding my browser account when I log in.
I can't use my current account password here:

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: OS Sierra Version 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @greed! The pop-up prompt you've included in your screenshot will appear any time you access an account in a supported browser with 1Password running, that you don't already have in your native 1Password app. If it won't accept the Master Password you're certain is correct for the account you're actually using, then I'd agree, it sounds as if it may be trying to get you to add the older, unused account.

If you did not delete the account yourself, then it will remain on our server in Frozen status (because we don't know whether/when you might come back and want to resume using it). If you'd like to delete an account you no longer use, you'll need to write to us at support@agilebits.com from the email address you used to sign up for that account, and we'll send you instructions for how to delete. If you have multiple accounts, make sure you specify which one you're trying to delete.

• Hi @greed,

If the 1Password for Mac app has the old stale account in it, and you cannot unlock that, you’ll need to follow these instructions for starting over:

How to reset your 1Password data and start over

Please be aware that following this procedure will delete all data stored in 1Password for Mac. This is likely inconsequential if you cannot unlock it anyway.

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.