Fingerprint Unlock with Keyboard doesn't work

Options
marcfon
marcfon
Community Member

Since a few versions unlocking 1Password from the keyboard / input field using fingerprint has stopped working for me.

I think this stopped working since the introduction of the autofill option.

Fingerprint unlock DOES work when I open the 1Password app.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MIUI 9.2.3.0
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@marcfon: Thanks for getting in touch! This is the first I've heard of an issue like this, so I appreciate the details. However, can you tell me which device and version of Android you're using? I'm not able to reproduce this here. Thanks in advance!

• marcfon
    marcfon
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @brenty I'm using a Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime running MIUI 9.2.3.0 (Android 6.0.1). Let me know if you need more details. I can make screenshots or screenrecordings if that helps too.

• Thanks for the update, @marcfon. Can you elaborate on the not working? Are you seeing an error message? Or are you prompted for Fingerprint Unlock from both the main app and autofill dialogue, but the fingerprint input is rejected from the main app?

• marcfon
    marcfon
    Community Member
    Options

@peri sure I'm prompted to unlock with either fingprint or master password with the pop-up dialogue. But at that moment there is no response from the fingerprint sensor. No error. Just no response.

• Thanks @marcfon. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Android device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/86906/fingerprint-unlock-with-keyboard-doesnt-work#latest
    • Your forum username: marcfon

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• marcfon
    marcfon
    Community Member
    Options

@peri the ticket number is #KDS-67882-284 really curious what comes out... because it used to work just fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@marcfon: Thanks! I am too! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: KDS-67882-284

• arunsathiya
    arunsathiya
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm this is exactly the case with my Redmi 3S Prime too. Does this have something to do with Redmi 3S Prime not using native fingerprint API? I am guessing so because it does not work on other apps like Authy either.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@arunsathiya: I think you may be at least partially right, especially if you're having the same issues with other apps. But if they were using their own fingerprint implementation altogether, it would have never worked in 1Password, as we're only using Google's official Nexus Imprint APIs. So I think it's more likely that they made some change in an OS update that perhaps inadvertently affected their fingerprint support. Are you also using MIUI 9.2.3.0? Do you happen to know which version you were running before?

• marcfon
    marcfon
    Community Member
    Options

For now I've reverted back to 1Password 6.5.2 which doesn't has the new autofill option. At least I can use fingerprint unlock again.

Would have been nice if there was a way to download older versions from the official Agilebits site...

• peri
    Options

We don't recommend using old versions, as we often include security fixes and other improvements in our updates, which is part of why they're not available. That said, if you were able to workaround the issue, great! Let us know if you need anything else.

• Timbojino
    Timbojino
    Community Member
    Options

Same Here. I have a redmi Note 3 pro With MIUI 9.2.3.0 / Android 6.01 and I cant use the Fingerprint unlock for autofill but can use the Fingerprint Reader withings the 1pass App Just fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Timbojino: Thanks for letting us know. If you disable "Lock on Exit" in 1Password Settings > Security, does that help?

• marcfon
    marcfon
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Could you share what if you're team has found so far to what might be causing this issue? And when we can expect a permanent fix?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@marcfon: Not much to share. This seems to only be a problem with modified OS versions, perhaps something to do with how background and foreground processes are handled. To be clear, when you try to unlock 1Password, whether using fingerprint or your Master Password, and when opening the 1Password app or interacting with it in an overlay (as with the keyboard, or accessibility/autofill prompts), this is all just the same 1Password app; there's no difference as far as 1Password is concerned, no separate code. So when this is happening it's because something else is interfering with normal operation. We'll see if we can find a way to work around that, but we do not have control over anything outside of 1Password itself.

• marcfon
    marcfon
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks. Why not just revert to the old situation without the overlay? That works like a charm.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@marcfon: Sure. It totally worked, but wasn't nearly as flexible or powerful, and we can offer a lot more now thanks to the new tools Google has given us. The problem you're having isn't because of the overlay — we're just using Google's official autofill and accessibility APIs after all — but that whatever Xiaomi has done to the OS is breaking those. We'll see if there are ways we can work around that, but not at the expense of moving forward. With Android 9 on the horizon, custom builds of Android 6 can't be our primary focus. :(

• mverde
    Options

Hey @marcfon, @arunsathiya, and @Timbojino:

I'm sorry to hear that you're encountering this issue when trying to use the fingerprint sensor to unlock 1Password for filling. As you can imagine, with all of the various Android devices out there, we don't have every device on hand to test with. While we don't have your exact devices, one of my colleagues has a Redmi 4x device that we were able to test against. On this device, fingerprint unlock works as expected both in the main app and when filling.

The device in question is running MIUI 9.2.4/Android 7.2.1. Since it is a later version of Android, this leads me to wonder if the issue is specific to the version of Android 6 that shipped on Xiaomi devices or if there is something else that your devices have in common. In addition to all being on Android 6, are your devices also all rooted?

This discussion has been closed.