Moving from iCloud Sync to 1password subscription

Options
mattyf
mattyf
Community Member

So I had to make this move because icloud sync stopped working. That's irritating to begin with, since I paid full price for apps that I would have otherwise gotten as part of a subscription. But whatever, it is what it is.

My problem is that because iCloud completely stopped working, I'm left with 3 primary vaults that are all slightly different on all three devices that I use. Each one contains passwords that the others are missing. So how do I make this move to the new Family vault? Do I merge every old Primary vault into the new one? Will that lead to a ton of dupes, or does 1Password de-dupe automatically? What if a login exists in two vaults but has a different password in each? Is this a hopeless mess?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mattyf - I'm sorry for the trouble! I'm not sure why you say "iCloud sync stopped working." We continue to support iCloud syncing in the current version of 1Password for Mac and iOS -- and will do so in the upcoming 1Password 7 as well. If you're already transitioned over to a new 1password.com account, then perhaps it's a moot point by now. But yes, if you try to merge that, you'll get a ton of duplicates, with one possible exception: what devices are you using 1Password on, may I ask?

• mattyf
    mattyf
    Community Member
    Options

I say it stopped working because it did just that. It stopped syncing. When I brought the problem to this forum for help, the person who responded said that iCloud was not as reliable a sync method as the account method. Since it seemed to be AgileBits position that the icloud syncing was not 100% reliable, and this is very very important data, I clearly wasn't left with much of a choice.

I have an imac, a MacBook Air, and an iphone.

Hopefully you will tell me that you have a workaround to avoid the dupe situation. If not, I'm going to need help figuring out how to make this transition, since it was caused by 1Password not working properly in the first place. Incidentally, 1Password gave me no notification whatsoever that it had stopped syncing. It would report on all devices that it was syncing properly... I only realized what was happening when password updates would repeatedly fail to end up on any of the other devices.

• mattyf
    mattyf
    Community Member
    Options

OK, this has now gotten even more frustrating.

One of my family members is completely technically illiterate. He does not want, and cannot have a private vault. The risk of him doing something bad that I could not help him fix remotely is too great. When I installed the family account on his phone, and copied all the items from his old vault to the new account, it put them all in the "Private" vault. Bad. I need them in a new shared vault that I created. However, I can't figure out how to move everything at once, either logged in to the web version or on his phone. How do I do this?

He does not have a computer, so I tried to add his account to my desktop app, but it would not let me do that since I'm on the same family account. So what do I do? Please don't tell me I'm stuck moving these items one by one....

I also want his Private Vault to be completely deleted, because it confuses him, but I gather that that is not an option? And in an earlier thread I read that I cannot even rename the Private vault? When I click on "Edit" in the web interface, the only option it gives me is to "Save" again, which is confusing even to me because I don't appear to have the ability to even change anything!

I have to say, as a 1Password customer for upwards of a decade, this experience has not been the 1Password experience that I've been used to. ICloud issues aside, it's unintuitive, confusing, rigid, and appears to be missing functions that I would expect it to have by now. I'm really disappointed, and would love to be able to get on the phone with someone to help me sort through the double-barreled mess that I'm now paying twice over for.

• mattyf
    mattyf
    Community Member
    Options

bump. anyone at 1password able to help me?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018
    Options

@mattyf - sorry for the delay in our reply; as you may have noticed, we released 1Password 7 for Mac beta this week, and things have been a little nuts around here since then. Thanks for your patience. :)

When I brought the problem to this forum for help, the person who responded said that iCloud was not as reliable a sync method as the account method. Since it seemed to be AgileBits position that the icloud syncing was not 100% reliable...

It's never been our position that iCloud syncing "isn't reliable," but it's certainly the case that anything can have issues; nothing made by humans is ever perfect. I looked back through the history of posts you'd begun here, and couldn't find any in which a team member here suggested what you've mentioned, but perhaps I missed it.

I'm sorry your experience here has been less than what you've come to expect over the years; let's see if we can try to rectify that. We don't actually offer telephone support for 1Password, but as it appears we'll be discussing intricate details of at least one 1Password account, I think this is a discussion better handled one-to-one, via email. If you'd be willing to write in to support+forum@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread, we'll be much more at liberty to assist than here in this public forum. Thanks.

ref: TDD-43534-754

This discussion has been closed.