1Password X password generator

Comments

• IJR_1P
    IJR_1P
    Community Member

Hello, thanks for all your help. I saw some thread/post that the 1Password Chrome X should have a password generator button? I don't see any on mine. Has it not been rolled out yet?

thanks,
    joy

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @IJR_1P,

I moved your question to a 1Password X category. I hope you don't mind. :chuffed:

Password generator should be available in 1Password X 1.4 that is available in the Chrome Web Store.

However, please note that the password generator in 1Password X is a little bit different. Here is how it looks right on the page:

Let us know how it works for you. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• OliF
    OliF
    Community Member

Hallo,
    I'm not the person who originally asked, I have found the password generator.

But actually I'm missing the options of the "old" one. For some sites the password is too long or does not match other reqirements.
    Thus some options would be nice or at least more than one suggestions of passwords to choose from.

/Oliver

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member

@OliF
    This would be a nice improvement. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@blaxxz, @OliF: While 1Password X offers sane defaults right in the login forms on webpages, this is the new password generator we introduced earlier this month:

You can make the password longer, shorter (only if you have to, I hope!), or change whether numbers or symbols are included. Cheers! :)

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member

Thanks for your Answer.

Me and @OliF (maybe?) know this Generator at the 1Password X icon.
    But we meant add "options" to this for more convenience.

Hope this is what @OliF meant too ^^

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@blaxxz: Ah, gotcha. No, we don't have plans to change that. It's intentionally simple and secure. For the vast majority of case, that's all you need. When you need something more "creative" though, there's a whole password generator available. We just don't need to be cluttering things up when you're just interacting with a website the rest of the time, which is where the inline menu comes in. :)

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Understood. 8-)

But is it possible that we can save the Length of the Password in the Generator in the Future?

Does 1Password X avoid similar symbols?
    Some other Manager like LastPass has this specific Option in the Password Generator.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

But is it possible that we can save the Length of the Password in the Generator in the Future?

@blaxxz: I won't say never, but probably not ever. Why would you want to save the length? If you save it as 30 characters and the next site allows 40, having 1Password remember 30 isn't helpful. If you generate a 10 character password for something and 1Password saves that, that doesn't help either, just gets you a weak password. We've set sane defaults that will work with most sites, and also generate sufficiently strong passwords, and you're free to tweak it on a case-by-case basis. Saving your tweaks from one site for the next doesn't offer a benefit in the vast majority of cases — unless you're regularly generating passwords for the same site...which, I hope not.

Does 1Password X avoid similar symbols?

I dont' know what you mean by "similar symbols", but these are what we're using currently:

!#%)*+,-.:=>?@]^_}~

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member

You have this Option in the Windows Client:

Sorry for the wrong description.

But when we are using this Option:

Is it possbile to copy the generated password for like 10sec to the Clipboard?
    1Password X has actually no Password History or something like that.
    When 1Password X can't safe this automatically and i don't know the Password if i must create this by my own. And i dont know the generated Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

You have this Option in the Windows Client:
    Sorry for the wrong description.

@blaxxz: No worries. Thanks for clarifying. That option is going to go away. If you need a password you can read/write/remember/type we already have a better option: words.

Is it possbile to copy the generated password for like 10sec to the Clipboard?

You can always copy it to the clipboard. But 10 seconds seems a bit short, to be honest.

1Password X has actually no Password History or something like that.

You can find password history in the item details on 1Password.com. But I agree it might be nice to show more information in 1Password X.

When 1Password X can't safe this automatically and i don't know the Password if i must create this by my own. And i dont know the generated Password.

In the vast majority of cases, you shouldn't know the password. That's 1Password's job! But, again, in cases where you do absolutely need to know a password, a word-based "memorable" password is your friend:

I get by with a little help from my friends. :)

This discussion has been closed.