Mac App Store version

Options
sardina266
sardina266
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Completely underwhelmed by the following guidance provided by @bundtkate on the AgileBits Blog post re: the launch of the 1P7 for Mac beta:

"That said, if you purchase a license from us during the beta period, you won’t be able to use 1Password 7 from the App Store. Apple doesn’t support allowing our license to “unlock” an in-app purchase from the App Store. If you’d like to switch to 1Password 7 from the App Store when and if it becomes available, you’d need to go with a 1Password membership. We handle unlocking full functionality server-side with a 1Password membership, so the app itself no longer matters from a “licensing” standpoint. 👍"

I am NOT interested in a 1Password membership. I have been a longtime user (and supporter/referrer to many friends and family) of 1Password since version 4 and absolutely refuse to pay a monthly fee. I understand the rationale of effectively forcing your longtime users (and those that presumably rely on the safety provided by the Mac App Store) to trade up to a monthly plan that delivers continued revenue for AgileBits; sorry, but this family won't be taking the bait. $50 for the Mac App + $10 for the iOS app = $60 x 4 members in my family = $240 already spent on 1Password products ($180 worth of licenses were just purchased in the last year)!

I recognize the beta has just launched and that there are quite a few things to work out, but may I suggest a reasonable upgrade path for Mac App Store users that does not involve a monthly tithe nor charging $64.99 to longtime, loyal customers. Perhaps this is something that can be worked on with Apple directly? I can't imagine it would be that difficult for a solution to be worked out. After all, 1Password is one of the top grossing Mac App Store apps. Either way, I look forward to a workable solution that doesn't involve spending an additional $260 to securely license 1Password 7 from the Mac App Store.

Thanks for taking the time to review my feedback.

Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ck2875
    ck2875
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, I bought the $40 upgrade for the beta. I would buy it again as a standalone license through the MAS. I will absolutely never purchase the subscription nonsense. I just don't want to have updates installed automatically and securely through the MAS and not have to deal with the app updating when I launch it.

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @sardina266! Thanks for the feedback about Kate's reply on the blog, and the perspective. It's simply not possible for us to sell licenses for the App Store through 1Password for Mac. That doesn't mean we won't at some point offer a license in the App Store, just that purchasing during the beta won't include the App Store version. To use 1Password without a membership, you're welcome to purchase a license during the beta, or wait until the final version is released, when we may have an App Store version available for purchase. I can't promise anything there, though, because we're still weighing demand. :)

• sardina266
    sardina266
    Community Member
    Options

@Jacob Thanks for the rapid response! I understand that it is not possible to sell a Mac App Store license from within the App. I suppose my larger point is that there should be an upgrade path for Mac App Store users that leverage the security and ease of the Mac App Store. With that said, I would not be opposed to paying for an upgrade for each of my family members, but I personally will be capping the cost @ $100 for the 4 users in my family.

I suspect most Mac App Store users will not be comfortable paying 64.99 for the upgrade when it officially launches. Perhaps this price is intentionally high to effectively force users to trade up? If that isn't the case then I would suggest a review of the pricing strategy. I am no expert as I don't have any metrics for AgileBits, but I would imagine you can drive quite a bit of volume and raise your profitability by offering a more affordable upgrade path.

I suppose we will wait and see, but please feed this back up to the product manager and/or the team responsible for scoping this out.

Thanks again for taking the time to review my feedback.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2018
    Options

With that said, I would not be opposed to paying for an upgrade for each of my family members, but I personally will be capping the cost @ $100 for the 4 users in my family.

The cost of a 1Password Families membership would be well under that, and I’d bet our sales team would be willing to work with you especially considering the volume of licenses you’ve purchased and timeframe within which you’ve purchased them. Please feel free to reach out to them at sales@1password.com.

I suspect most Mac App Store users will not be comfortable paying 64.99 for the upgrade when it officially launches. Perhaps this price is intentionally high to effectively force users to trade up? If that isn't the case then I would suggest a review of the pricing strategy. I am no expert as I don't have any metrics for AgileBits, but I would imagine you can drive quite a bit of volume and raise your profitability by offering a more affordable upgrade path.

Standalone options are going to be more expensive than subscription options. It is more expensive to build, and more expensive to support and troubleshoot. It’s fine if folks want to continue using standalone, but it is a more expensive path. The perception that membership is the option that carries a greater cost is flawed in most cases.

Thanks again for taking the time to review my feedback.

Absolutely. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Ben

• christian_schulz
    christian_schulz
    Community Member
    Options

Adding to this topic: my wife and I are using 1Password on all our Macs, iPhones and iPads. On the Macs, we are using one "legacy" and one App Store license. I am in the software business myself and know about the benefits of a subscription license first hand. On the other hand, there are certain softwares for which a subscription license is an absolute no-go for us, for example financial software or security-related such as password managers.

We are more than happy to pay for continued development and AgileBits is very good at improving the software; moreover, I believe we have received excellent value for the license fees we paid for 1Password 6. Upgrading the entire household to version 7 has to stay within a reason limit and, consequently, even though I would love to upgrade right now to the beta of version 7, I will need to wait for the complete offer for all the devices we are using it on. Adding to the damage is that I probably need to add Windows as a platform.

We hope that AgileBits finds a good balance because 1Password offers excellent functionality.

• Ben
    Options

On the other hand, there are certain softwares for which a subscription license is an absolute no-go for us, for example financial software or security-related such as password managers.

Why is that? Membership is definitely going to be the less expensive way to go in your situation, especially when you add Windows to the equation.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.