1Password Windows 7.0.532 local *opvault deleted but App is still able to open a Vault with content

Options
wilearter
wilearter
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi all,

how is that possible ? Where can i check the source of the local vault in 1Password Beta Windows 7.0.532 ?
I don`t wanna use these version anymore, because this version is completely rubbish.

Cheers
MS

1Password Version: 7.0.532
Extension Version: newest for 7.0.532
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: local thing not wokring with this version

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wilearter: I'm sorry, but what exactly are you asking? OPVault is a sync format, so, since you don't appear to be syncing with Dropbox or another folder, there may not need to be one. Let me know.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @wilearter,

1Password 7 uses an internal database to store all of your data. You can find it at this directory: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\data

Deleting the local vaults does not remove it from the internal database, it just disables it for syncing with other 1Password apps using a sync format like OPVault.

I'm sorry you dislike 1Password 7 Beta, is there something more specific that you don't like about it?

• wilearter
    wilearter
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi Mike,
    thanks for the fast response. I was using successfully the v4.6x and in addition i was installing the beta. The beta was asking me to choose the path of the old vault and has created a new OPVault in my existing Vault directory. Thats the reason why i was confused by deleting them and data are still available. But what i dont understand, why it is now located under %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\data ? I did not agreed to that anywhere and i can`t see is in the program itself. I want to delegate where are my VAULT is stored und used from.

Also i was not able to sync the beta via wifi to my iphone.

The beta is on top in the moment wasteful of using the exisiting space for information. In the v4.6 i have an old fashion look but a perfect overview of all important infos. The new version hast lost it at all. On full screen i can see only 24 items and the details on the right side showing not the same content. I have to click additionally.

Also i have to scroll now for the objects on the left side and i have more than Full HD resolution.

You make a perfect product just worst. It starts with a abo model und bring Vaults to cloud. Many customers has already moved to a competitive product.

Cheers

PS: how can i manage to use the browser extension for my older version ?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @wilearter,

1Password 7 is entirely different from 1Password 4 in how it works. 1Password 4 reads and writes to your vault files directly on your drive but it cannot do multiple vaults at the same time, you'd have to manually switch vaults and remember each vault password.

However in 1Password 7, you can actually store any number of vaults and view them all at once or switch between them without having to enter your vault password for each one.

It does this by switching from the old method of reading/writing to vault folders on disk to an internal database that will store all of your vaults in a central location and update the external OPVault folders on demand when enabling sync for the said vaults.

This may feel like an overkill for a standalone user with a single vault but the internal database is also tuned for performance that 1Password 4 will never match.

But what i dont understand, why it is now located under %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\data ? I did not agreed to that anywhere and i can`t see is in the program itself. I want to delegate where are my VAULT is stored und used from.

Majority of programs have their own internal folders that they work from, some use registry, some use a different folder stored elsewhere, including 1Password 4 as well.

In this case, as explained above, 1Password 7 has an internal program database it works with and by internal, it is not meant for users to directly access or use, thus why it is stored only in the %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password directory.

When you want to sync your vault, 1Password will ask where you want the vault to be stored, you can then choose where it should be on your drive.

This does mean that in 1Password 7, OPVault folders are treated as external sync folders you use to copy between computers. If you do not use other computers, then there are no external folders to use, it's all handled within 1Password 7's database. You can choose to back up the said internal 1Password folder to other computers if you want. We're working on a backup process to make this easier.

Also i was not able to sync the beta via Wi-Fi to my iphone.

WLAN Sync is not currently implemented for 1Password 7. We are collecting feedback from our WLAN sync users, please read our topic about this here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/87524/on-wlan-sync-in-1password-7/p1

The beta is on top in the moment wasteful of using the exisiting space for information. In the v4.6 i have an old fashion look but a perfect overview of all important infos. The new version hast lost it at all. On full screen i can see only 24 items and the details on the right side showing not the same content. I have to click additionally.

1Password 7 is less dense compared to 1Password 4 and while we'll continue to polish 1Password 7's interface, we won't match 1Password 4 style as we're also aiming for easier interface to use as well as touchscreen/tablet-friendly design. All of 1Password apps are now this way, so we're aiming for consistency as well.

In addition, majority of the feedback we're getting was that 1Password 4 was outdated and felt awkward compared to the rest of 1Password apps, and now majority of feedback are positive about 1Password 7 design.

Unfortunately, it does mean that 1Password 7 won't fit everyone's preferences, it's just not possible. We'd like the idea of adding an additional layout option to support 1Password 4's information density but it won't happen for the first 1Password 7 stable release.

You make a perfect product just worst. It starts with a abo model und bring Vaults to cloud. Many customers has already moved to a competitive product.

I'm sorry you feel that way and I do see why you'd prefer 1Password 4, your feedback are very helpful and we'll continue to improve 1Password 7 based on it. You are more than welcome to keep using 1Password 4 as is and hopefully, we'll have a version that you might like, like with WLAN sync, more dense information layout and so on.

PS: how can i manage to use the browser extension for my older version ?

The 1Password extension are reused between 1Password 4-7. You cannot use 1Password 4 and 7 at the same time, you'd have to uninstall 1Password 7 and then use 1Password 4 to restore the older 1Password Helper in your browsers.

• wilearter
    wilearter
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,
    thx for detailded feedback but at first i would like to restore my mold browser extension via:
    https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

But the process is always asking that the deskop app is required > version 7 i think

Password 7 is already deinstalled, extension removed and computer rebooted.

What i have to do for restore helper from version 4 ? There is only a restart function.

Thx in advanced.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @wilearter,

Open 1Password 4, go to the Help Menu > Advanced and select Use Native Messaging protocol. Then restart 1Password Helper and restart your web browser, 1Password extension should detect 1Password 4 now.

This discussion has been closed.