Beta 1.6.3 on Firefox - some feedback

Options

Just got the invitation to test it, so happy :)

Couple of things I noticed right away:

• in the Settings page modifying "Lock 1Password after system is idle for" doesn't persist (at least it's always displaying 10 minutes, I haven't really counted to make sure).
  • in the Settings page the link to override "Open 1Password with keyboard shortcut" doesn't work. I went directly the extension page and there's nothing there to set it
  • when opening 1Password X it doesn't focus the search field, I either have to click on it or use Ctrl-F
  • the default shortcut to open 1Password X doesn't work. I'm using a french (Azerty) keyboard and can't make it work (which is why I wanted to replace it).
  • when logging in on https://my.1password.com I choose not to use the suggested account by 1Password X, I then type my password as usual and 1Password X pops up asking "Save in 1Password". Then when I do login by pressing enter that popup doesn't disappear. If I login by clicking the "Sign In" button it does. Not sure if I'm clear so ask if you need clarification on this point.

That's it for now !

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.6.3
OS Version: Ubuntu Linux 17.10 with Firefox Nightly
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• K_rot
    K_rot
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

One small feedback First time you connect to the firefox add-on, you receive an email with the title : New 1Password sign-in from Firefox but the text is "Your 1Password account was just used to sign in from 1Password for Chrome. "

I continue to test the add-on but it seems really interesting.

• Mitch
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi @sphax and @k_rot,

Thank you for the very helpful bug reports. Fixes are already on the way for some of them, particularly for the email that says "1Password for Chrome".

@sphax:

in the Settings page modifying "Lock 1Password after system is idle for" doesn't persist (at least it's always displaying 10 minutes, I haven't really counted to make sure).

You can work around this for now by clicking inside the field, typing in the number you want, and then clicking outside. The setting will stick that way.

the default shortcut to open 1Password X doesn't work. I'm using a french (Azerty) keyboard and can't make it work (which is why I wanted to replace it).

Can you confirm that Ctrl-Period doesn't work to open the pop-up? It looks like Firefox 60 doesn't have a built-in way to change keyboard shortcuts for extensions, unlike Chrome. We'll have to add this feature ourselves.

• sphax
    sphax
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the workaround, it works.

Yes, I'm unable to get the shortcut to work. On azerty to type Ctrl-Period I need to use Ctrl-Shift-; and that doesn't work. According to my keyboard layout app using qwerty it looks like Ctrl-: maps to Ctrl-Period but it doesn't work either.

For what it's worth, it doesn't work in 1Password X for Chrome either.

• bryandmlee
    bryandmlee
    Community Member
    Options

A different issue but I'll just piggyback on this thread since it's re: 1PX v1.6.3 as well.

I've noticed that the 1PX windows is blank when using Firefox in a Private Window, whether it's the Master Password view or the Vault view. Which also means it can't unlock 1PX (you'd have to unlock 1PX in a normal non-Private Window, but the unlock works across the different windows). The fill button on websites still works though once 1PX is unlocked.

• zizheng
    zizheng
    Community Member
    Options

I too haven't been able to get the shortcut to work. (Actually I don't even know what's the default shortcut; on my Chrome version it is Ctrl+Shift+X.) I tried Ctrl+Period and Ctrl+Shift+X and neither works. And it seems there isn't a settings page for the add-on to change the shortcut keys.

• jacksonblend
    jacksonblend
    Community Member
    Options

To everyone who can't get the shortcut to work:

• what happens when you execute the shortcut (does something else come up, or nothing at all happen)?
    • what other extensions do you have installed?

Shortcut did not work for me at first, then I disabled a bunch of other extensions, and it started working.
    However, I was already using CTRL + . for multi-account-containers firefox feature.

Unfortunately, it looks like firefox has implemented extension shortcut reassignment, but not yet provided a UI for updating it. See: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1303384

• zizheng
    zizheng
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Actually, today the Ctrl-Period shortcut starts working for me. It's after a reboot so maybe restarting Firefox could also work. Anyway, Ctrl-Period is working for me right now. Just hope we can configure the shortcut keys ourselves (I don't know if it has to go through the FF extension shortcut mechanism).

• Hey @sphax! Azerty could be the source of the trouble here. If you need a modifier to access the period period and the combination required to type Ctrl-Period, that can be trouble on its own. If it happens to be used by something else, it definitely won't work. I was personally able to get Ctrl - Shift - Period to work on my U.S. keyboard (because I messed up and remembered to swap X with period, but not to nix the shift), but that shift isn't required to access the period on my keyboard so not quite the same situation.

Ordinarily, I'd recommend assigning a new shortcut, but as @jacksonblend noted, it looks like Firefox lacks a UI for altering them just yet. My own experience trying to access the shortcut settings seems to bear that out. I'm double checking with the development team that this issue is actually a blocker, though, just in case it's something we can fix. Other keyboard layouts are something we'll need to worry about, so the ability to change the shortcut seems an important thing to address, if we're able. :+1:

@jacksonblend: Would you mind sharing the extensions you needed to disable? It may not be something we can fix, but we'd certainly like to avoid collisions where we can and if the Firefox issue you mentioned does, indeed, block us from having a modifiable shortcut, collisions may well turn into a greater concern.

@zizheng: Ordinarily, you can open the extension, click Settings and there's a link near the bottom to modify the shortcut. The link is still there, but doesn't work for me at present (perhaps due to the aforementioned Firefox issue). Between varied keyboard layouts, potential collisions with other extension shortcuts, and basic user preference, this is something we'll want to investigate further, but for now I'm glad Ctrl-Period is at least working for you. :chuffed:

• zizheng
    zizheng
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @bundtkate. Another problem is that although I can open the settings page from within the app UI, there isn't an "Options" button on the Firefox extension page like most other add-ons do. It can simply lead to the same page as the in-app settings button does.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @zizheng,

I hope your weekend is going well! 😀

I completely agree that it's way better to have a link to the settings/options page when using the right-click context menu. Google Chrome made this super easy by merely creating that context menu item when we include a link to our settings page within the extension's manifest file. However, everything is a little different with Firefox, and we needed to add this manually. I've already gone ahead and added a settings page link there (it's super helpful for me to have durring testings as well). Assuming no issues during code review, you'll see that added in our next release. 👍

Thanks for your help. Please let us know if you see anything else that we can improve! 🧡🦊

-Beyer

ref: b5x-pull-357

• zizheng
    zizheng
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @beyer for the reply! When the next release comes, will the extension be updated automatically by Firefox, or do we have to manually download and install the new version?

• Mitch
    Options

You won't have to download anything new, @zizheng. Firefox checks for updates once a day, but you can also check for updates on the Add-ons page. I think we'll also send out a notification to the mailing list subscribers if there are updates during the private beta period.

• dserodio
    dserodio
    Community Member
    Options

@bryandmlee, the same thing happens with Lastpass. I hope it's not a Firefox limitation :unamused:

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dserodio: Me too! We haven't yet looked into exactly what's blocking us here on Firefox (that I know of), but we have an issue open and we will get to it as soon as we can. :)

• aljohri
    aljohri
    Community Member
    Options

hi @beyer and @Mitch. I just joined the forum trying to get 1Password X for Firefox. Is there anyway to get an invitation? Thanks!

• Mitch
    Options

Hi @aljohri,

Sure! Sign up for our Firefox beta tester mailing list and we'll have an invite your way in no time:

http://email.agilebits.com/h/r/0D6ED375D55C4CF1

• jacksonblend
    jacksonblend
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate The offending extension was this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/multi-account-containers/ Which is the official Mozilla-developed extension for enabling firefox's privacy containers (great feature on integrate with, BTW! It'd be so-cool to have vault-per-container support). I basically had to quit using the keyboard shortcut for both for now, which is a pain. I've just started using 1password-x again now that this extension is available, but I really need that extension as well.

• jacksonblend
    jacksonblend
    Community Member
    Options

I also wanted to note that while Firefox does not expose you the UI (currently, it seems to be planned) to reset the keyboard shortcuts, it does look like it's possible. I think this is the API required: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/API/commands/update

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018
    Options

@jacksonblend: Yup, you're exactly correct! We can and will use the browser.commands.update API in a future beta release to allow users to change this keyboard shortcut. We didn't put all the finishing touches on this first Firefox beta, but this allowed us to get it into everyone's hands sooner than later! 👍

&drew

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

I need to get this going. I’ve been so busy with other stuff :(

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

There's always tomorrow @prime, or at least that's what I always say. 🤣

&drew

• jacksonblend
    jacksonblend
    Community Member
    Options

@beyer They conflicting key commands is an annoyance, but I'm more than happy to deal with the keyboard command conflict for now just to have a generally-working extension. It's been functioning very well, with my tests so far!

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jacksonblend: I don't want to make any promises, just in case we run into any issues adding the ability to customize your keyboard shortcut, but I understand, and we are on it! We will get this added as soon as possible so stay tuned and have a great weekend! 😁

&drew

• Tonofpudding
    Tonofpudding
    Community Member
    Options

So testing between Windows and MacOS, I discovered something odd - the Firefox Multi-Account Containers extension uses Ctrl-Period on both platforms, not Cmd-Period on MacOS as per standard. But 1Password X does use Cmd-Period, so it works fine there, but conflicts on Windows with Ctrl-Period.

• dteare
    Options

Ah! That explains some of the confusion I've been seeing. Thank you for sharing, @Tonofpudding. Next time someone mentions this I'll ask if they're using multi-account containers.

Still, as @beyer mentioned, we need to allow everyone the ability to customize the keyboard shortcut so they can work around any of these issues.

This discussion has been closed.