To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Confused between Mac App Store version + iOS app versus 1Password X and subscription membership

Options
jaruzek
jaruzek
Community Member

Hi there, like the title says, I'm confused. I've been using 1Passsword since when I originally discovered in the the heyday of MacHeist. I've been using the Mac App Store version for awhile now alongside the iPhone app.

How does it work now with 1Password X? Do I have to start paying monthly fees for the browser-based service? I'm on the free trial now but might just want to stay with the status quo because I'm tight on cash. Can I just go back to the old way if I determine it's not for me?

Thanks,
Jonathan

1Password Version: 6.8.8.
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jaruzek: 1Password X is only available to 1Password.com members, as it depends on that service to function. You can keep using the version you paid for, but you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data — along with many other benefits. But you can go back to using your original setup after the trial if you still have that. Either way, let us know if there's anything we can help with. :)

• ToInfinityandBeyond
    ToInfinityandBeyond
    Community Member
    Options

@jaruzek: To add to @brenty answer, about your question: "How does it work now with 1Password X?"

In short, 1Password X is a service —provided you are currently subscribed— explicitly of a 1Password membership. In addition, 1PasswordX can be described as the forefront of where many of the 1Password ideas are first implemented; subsequently, migrated to other 1Password products. 1Password X functions as an online extension, one that you can access without having to install the 1Password application on the computer. I will say that 1Password X provides more fluidity in the workflow of managing passwords, filling sign-in and registration forms —that's considering that you want to do it all from the browser without having to reach for the app for other actions. Finally, it's important to note that 1Password X was initially accessible for Linux and Chrome OS platforms, but, in recent blog publications, the service is migrating to other browsers.

For reference:

Sincerely,

ToInfinity&Beyond

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ToInfinityandBeyond: That's a useful way of looking at it. Indeed, 1Password X is part of the 1Password.com service, and since it's relatively lightweight, it's not only handy in situations where you cannot (or don't want to) use a native app, but also in terms of development. So we've been experimenting with some features there. It's always worked in the desktop version of Chrome on any platform, but we're excited to bring it to other great browsers as well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.