Items not showing in LaunchBar / 3rd party integration [known issue; 3rd party update required]

pjm
pjm
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hello,

should the integration of LaunchBar already work . in 1PW7 beta? Seems like LaunchBar cannot get the items from 1PW.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @pjm ,

Thanks for letting us know. We have notified the developers of LaunchBar, so they have the information they need to make the necessary updates.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Steve Hyde
    Steve Hyde
    Community Member

Hi,

Not sure if this is a problem with the beta or with LaunchBar.

I'd been having problems recently with LaunchBar not indexing 1P6 items even though "Enable Spotlight and 3rd party integrations" was checked. I think this was a LaunchBar bug but at least you could resolve the problem by unchecking and rechecking the Enable... box. After that, 1P6 items would be reindexed. Annoying but it worked. Now, in 1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-5 (70000005) it's impossible to get items to reindex. Clicking "Update" in 1P items in the LaunchBar index doesn't have any effect either. Any thoughts?

Regards,

Steve

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-5 (70000005) AgileBit
    Extension Version: 7.0 BETA 4
    OS Version: macOS 10.13.4.
    Sync Type: iCloud

• Hi @Steve Hyde! Indeed, 1Password 7 isn't compatible with LaunchBar right now. We've contacted the LaunchBar team about it so they can add support for 1Password 7. :)

• mmbrook
    mmbrook
    Community Member

In addition, if I'm using 1password 7 and I use Launcher to open the items, ,it doesn't open the item ,but instead it opens 1password and just opens the item in 1password. In 1P 6, it opened the item in the default browser and logged in--a much better workflow

• matthewfurr
    matthewfurr
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Hi @ag_kevin,
    I'm having the same issue here. Screenshot of initial error here. I removed 1Passsword 6 assuming multiple installed versions were causing the issues. But now the Launchbar (v6.9.4) Index for 1Password doesn't have any items listed at all.

• Hi folks,

LaunchBar will need to release an update to be compatible with 1Password 7. We've given them the necessary information.

Thanks.

Ben

• OscarGong
    OscarGong
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

I have been using LaunchBar as 1Password companion for several years.

After I install 1Password 7 Beta 7, I find the old way I using LaunchBar to open 1Password bookmarks now not functional like this:

But if I unlock 1Password 6 along with 1Password 7, the 1Password 7 Mini then could correct handle the command sent from LaunchBar.

Meanwhile I noticed that, the way 1Password 7 handles bookmarks is different from the way 1Password 6 do. In 1Password 6, if I open a 1Password bookmark from LaunchBar, 1Password will open website in default browser and autofill username and password. But 1Password 7, is a pop-up window instead. If a option available in the future allows me to configure 1Password handle bookmarks in old way will be much helpful.

1Password Version: 7
    Extension Version: 7
    OS Version: 10.13.4
    Sync Type: subscription

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

The inability of Launchbar to index 1Password 7 items has been reported by others and AgileBits has been in touch with Launchbar about it.

Stephen

• I merged a few different threads here. Please see above, and thanks for the feedback. :)

Ben

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member

LaunchBar will need to release an update to be compatible with 1Password 7. We've given them the necessary information.

@Ben Could you please share this information with the Quicksilver team as well? Just create an issue if it's something you can share publicly. If not, just e-mail me privately (assuming you can get my address from the forum profile).

Thanks!

• @OscarGong,

It would seem that somehow LaunchServices still has those files set to be handled by the wrong process. You'll want to locate one of those files in the Finder at ~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword7/Data/Library/Caches/Metadata/1Password, Get Info on it, Go to the Open With section and make sure that 1Password 7 is the app listed in the popup button. After doing that hit change all so that all onepassword-item-metadata files are handled by 1Password 7.

@Skurfer,

Will do next week, the gist is that we've switched over to spotlight metadata items in the path i've mentioned for general item usage (amounts to opening those items and having 1P7.app handle the request). For open&fill scenarios they'll need to onepassword7://open_and_fill/vault-uuid/item-uuid in order to do the open and fill (as opposed to the prior method which simply opened the URL with information tacked onto the end.

• croldham
    croldham
    Community Member

@rudy I checked the QuickSilver GitHub issue tracker and I didn't see a post there. Are you still planning to put some information there to help the QS community update their 1P integration? Thank you.

• @croldham,

I'm on travel this week and the engineer that worked on the 3rd party integration is on vacation. We'll try and get something up next week when we're both back to our respective home turf.

• croldham
    croldham
    Community Member

Thank you @rudy. Much appreciated.

• Hi @croldham ,

We're working on getting public documentation up soon, so all 3rd party apps can view it. I don't have an ETA on it yet, but do wish to put it up soon.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member

@croldham The information in the comment above was enough to figure it out. I’ve had a new version of the Quicksilver plug-in working for weeks. I released it today.

• croldham
    croldham
    Community Member

@Skurfer Thank you so much! I am trying it out right now.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@croldham - let us know if you have any issues. :) :+1:

• croldham
    croldham
    Community Member

I'm opening an issue in the Quicksilver repo, Quicksilver doesn't seem to see all my 1P entries and there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to it (I have 891 entries but only 12 are shown in the QS catalog).

• @croldham,

The source that builds the list on quicksilver's end looks right to me. is it possible that 1Password locked in the middle of the cache being populated? what happens if you leave 1password unlocked for a bit? does ~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword7/Data/Library/Caches/Metadata/1Password have the requisite number of entries in it?

• rudy
    edited August 2018

@Skurfer,

We've also published a formal document: https://support.1password.com/integration-mac/

I might suggest switching from the categorySingularName to categoryUUID just to be certain that you're not excluding something based on a localized value.

• croldham
    croldham
    Community Member

is it possible that 1Password locked in the middle of the cache being populated?

Not sure, the numbers have been the same since I installed the plugin last night. But I just went in there and clicked the 'refresh' icon in the Catalog for the 1Password Logins source and the number jumped from 12 to 776, which is the number of login entries I have. So something was 'stuck' somewhere. Thanks!

• @croldham,

Great! :) :+1:

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member

@rudy Yeah, I see a few improvements I could make. Thanks for posting that.

@croldham My guess is that Spotlight wasn’t returning everything for some reason. If it happens again, you can test that by running this in Terminal to see how many items it knows about.

mdfind -onlyin ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/1Password "kMDItemContentType == com.agilebits.itemmetadata" | wc -l

Note that it will count everything, while Quicksilver only grabs Logins, but it’ll give you an idea.

• @Skurfer,

:+1:

Let us know if you have any questions.

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member

@rudy I do have a couple of questions. I decided to add all of the values from websiteURLs as children of the login item so a user could go to a specific one. I created an action for these URLs that will do the dance described under “Open a URL”.

What I expect to happen:

1. Validate the hash and find the associated Login item
    2. Open the URL used to created the hash
    3. Attempt to fill the login form

What happens instead:

1. Validate the hash and find the associated Login item
    2. Open the first URL listed as part of the Login item
    3. Attempt to fill the login form

So my questions are: Is that the expected behavior? If so, what benefit does that provide over simply asking macOS to open the metadata file directly? It’s a lot of extra work to extract the information, store it, and generate the onepassword7:// URL and as far as I can tell, it’s the exact same behavior. (If anything, it’s worse because you can’t hold Shift to open the Login in 1Password instead.)

Thanks again.

• rudy
    edited August 2018

@Skurfer,

does your url look like onepassword7://open_and_fill /<profileUUID>/<uuid>/<sha256 of the url from the WebSites array> ?

The difference between this and what was previously done is that this no longer leaks into the url being opened by the browser, since 1Password is the application doing the opening and filling directly its no longer including query arguments to be grabbed by the browser extension to then figure out if it needs to fill or not.

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member

I’m pretty sure the URLs are in the correct format with the correct data. If not, 1Password wouldn’t be opening anything in the browser because it wouldn’t be able to match the URL to a Login item, right?

The issue is that it’s not opening the URL I expect. Let’s say websiteURLs contains ['https://appleid.apple.com/', 'https://www.icloud.com/']. If you create a SHA256 hash of “https://www.icloud.com/”, you get something like this:

onepassword7://open_and_fill/vaultUUID/itemUUID/4c74fc8259ae1f07365f1c3c973da25d9aa48dce1497556eb9007b784ca4f64f

If you open that URL, 1Password takes you to https://appleid.apple.com/ and not https://www.icloud.com/.

If that’s the expected behavior, it’s fine. I’ll just remove all the support for extra URLs since they are essentially ignored.

The difference between this and what was previously done is that this no longer leaks into the url being opened by the browser, since 1Password is the application doing the opening and filling directly

Isn’t 1Password also the application doing the opening and filling when you open one of its metadata files?

• @Skurfer,

That's certainly not the expected behavior. I've pulled down the plugin repo that looks to have the code I'd expect to see for this. Taking a look to see where its going sideways.

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member

@rudy,

OK, cool. In that case, I’ll keep support for the other URLs in Quicksilver and just bank on it working on the 1Password side eventually. :)

This discussion has been closed.