2 instances of 1Password Mini in the menu bar

FolsomRider
FolsomRider
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Two instances are present in the menu bar since restarting my Mac this morning. One appears to be for version 6. I'm not sure how to get rid of it...

1Password Version: 7.0 beta 3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @FolsomRider! To keep using 1Password 7, you need to move 1Password 6 to the Trash. You can always reinstall it from the downloads page if you need it down the road, but to keep 1Password 7 running smoothly, 1Password 6 can't be installed alongside it.

• onewil
    onewil
    Community Member

I have this as well, not sure how to clear.

• @onewil,

Jacob posted how to resolve this just above you. :)

Ben

• onewil
    onewil
    Community Member

Thanks Ben!
    For some reason these posts weren’t loading well in Safari yesterday. Content blocker I suspect.

Happily resolved.

• I suspect you are correct. Thanks for the update. :)

Ben

• sammm
    sammm
    Community Member

Is the removal of version 6 supposed to be automatic as part of the installation process of 7? If so, this did not happen for me. Would be helpful it it stated somewhere that it is not designed to be run side-by-side.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Please see this post. In essence, if you use the current install package—as opposed to merely downloading the update—you'll find it will remove 1Password 6 for you.

Stephen

• sammm
    sammm
    Community Member

Thanks. I used the installer package (was beta version 6 of 1P7) and it did not remove 1P6 in the process. Was it supposed to terminate the 1P6 process first? I had it running and didn't know I needed to close it first, but not sure if it was supposed to do so for me.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I can't see, from the 1Password for Mac release notes, when the removal of 1Password 6 was introduced in the installer. However, if you're still running beta 6 the updater will be crashing and you'll need to download beta 7 from that link anyway. Doing that will download the beta 7 installer—so you'll be able then to check whether it does in fact remove 1Password 6. (Obviously there's no harm in fully quitting 1Password 6—using ⌃⌘Q—before running that beta 7 installer, just to be on the safe side.)

Stephen

• Thanks for the assist here, @Stephen_C. Yes, the beta 7 installer should zip up 1Password 6 for you so that it doesn't interfere.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.