Excluding Domains Completely

I am developing a site at the moment and want to exclude 1Password X from suggesting/saving any passwords for all pages under a specific domain. I have added the domain to my exclusion list in the Mac App and the main app respects this however the 1Password X Chrome extension still suggests and autofills every time and I cannot find an exclusion list in the settings.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:dont ask for domain

Comments

• jakelliot1
    jakelliot1
    Community Member

I am developing a site at the moment and want to exclude 1Password X from suggesting/saving any passwords for all pages under a specific domain. I have added the domain to my exclusion list in the Mac App and the main app respects this however the 1Password X Chrome extension still suggests and autofills every time and I cannot find an exclusion list in the settings. (I also only seem to be able to post this question under 1 category which is not relevant, see pic).

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

Hey @jakelliot1,

Welcome to the forum! We are delighted to have you here.

I've gone ahead and verified your forum account manually (usually you need to click a link that is emailed), so you should be able to post in all our public categories now.

As for your question about 1Password X suggesting/saving any passwords are you referring to our inline form that looks like this?

You shouldn't be seeing anything else asking you to create a new Login Item. If you see something else, can you show me a screenshot?

Our inline form can't be disabled on specific URLs, but that's something we've discussed adding if there were enough interest. You can, however, disable it from automatically showing by turning off "Always show logins when a field is focused" on the 1Password X settings page.

With this setting disabled, you'll still be able to quickly display the inline menu by pressing the down arrow (when in a field showing the 1Password X logo) or by clicking that logo.

I hope that helps, but please let me know if you're talking about something different! 😁

&drew

• dserodio
    dserodio
    Community Member

I'm using 1Password X Beta 1.6.4 on Firefox 60.0b9 on Linux. Where can I find the "never for this website" option to disable auto-save?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: 1Password X Beta 1.6.4
    OS Version: Linux Ubuntu 17.10
    Sync Type: 1Password.com

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey there, @desrodio! 👋

Welcome to the beta and our support forum. We are delighted to have you join us in using 1Password X!

I hope you don't mind, I've merged your question with a similar topic we had this week. I think my answer above might help!

We shouldn't be prompting you to auto-save logins, only if you click the Save in 1Password option (screenshot above). Are you perhaps referring to the prompt from the built-in password manager in your browser?

Thanks for using 1Password! 💙

&drew

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member

@beyer:

My situation is similar to that of the OP. I'm a developer too with many database apps accessed via web browser at the server's domain. I do NOT want to be prompted or helped by 1Password on that domain (and a couple of others). With the 1Password app, I entered the domain in the Browsers panel of the Preferences dialog as an exception, and that worked well with the conventional 1Password extension. But with 1Password X, I continue to be prompted.

I'll try your suggestion to disable the setting "Always show logins when field is focused" and see if that helps, but it sounds like it will add an extra step to logging in with 1Password that I don't have to go through now.

I love 1Password and I totally respect your desire to extend the product and perhaps to keep it competitive. But if I can be just a bit cranky for a sec, my sense at the moment is that 1Password X is attempting to make 1Password work more like a couple of popular competing products when it may have been better off working the way it did. I'm not averse to change. But one of the main reasons I finally settled on 1Password — after extensive testing of it and the two most appealing alternatives — is that the appealing alternatives were a little fussier on login pages than the old 1Password extension. The ability to type Cmd-/ and get right into a site — or Cmd-/ followed by a quick arrow-key up or down to select — was really efficient.

But of course I'll hang in there, as I'm confident it's going to get a lot better. :)

Will

• Hello Will,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I greatly appreciate it!

I believe you're right and we likely will add the ability to exclude specific domains from 1Password X. The use case you and others here mentioned would be hard to address in any other way. There's several other things I want to address first so I can't say when we'll add this, but it is on our radar.

As for 1Password X in general and how it compares to the 1Password desktop app extension, they're completely different and it's unclear if one will ever replace the other. They're fundamentally different as 1Password X needs to do everything on it's own. This is a huge strength as it allows you to run 1Password X on Chrome OS and Linux as well as deploy it easily in a corporate environment. It also comes at a cost as it means we're not able to tap into the full power of the OS, such as reliably binding keyboard shortcuts like Cmd-\ or access Touch ID apis.

If you're finding you're missing the 1Password desktop extension, you can easily switch back to it. We're experimenting in 1Password X and in time the fruit from the successful experiments will be brought over into the app extension.

With that said, you can configure 1Password X to be similar to what you're used to by disabling the inline menu and relying on the popup entirely. A quick keyboard shortcut will bring up the popup and from there you can navigate and fill using the arrow and enter keys.

I hope that helps. Give it a whirl and let us know how it goes.

++dave;

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member

Thanks for the response Dave. I totally understand what y'all are doing because it's exactly what I (in my much smaller way) am doing. I develop apps that run both natively in the OS OR via web browsers. To be honest, I'm rather fond of web browser deployment because it eliminates a whole slew of support problems for me and because it's easier for my users. But as you point out, it also means I can't take advantage of the various ways that the full-blown native app can tie into the OS (like keyboard shortcuts, access to the camera in iOS etc).

I understand that I could go back to the older extension and perhaps I will but in the meantime, but I'm enjoying working (and playing) with 1 Password X. And I like to see what y'all are up to. Keep up the fantastic work.

Will

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@williamporter: Likewise, thanks for your passion for 1Password X! We love hearing not only how much you're enjoying it, but how much you want it to be better too, same as we do. I don't have anything to share at this point, but if we can find a way to enable some more advanced functionality in 1Password X, you bet we will. ;)

• tilzinger
    tilzinger
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

I too would like the ability to disable the Firefox extension entirely for a certain set of domain names, or URL patterns. For example, I use a web app on a daily basis and I constantly get the yellow bar at the top of my browser window stating that the 1Password X extension is having problems and it literally makes the browser unusable for several seconds. I have to keep clicking "stop it" to keep using the app and its incredibly annoying. I don't want to use Chrome just for this app. It would be nice to just entirely disable the Firefox extension so it doesn't run at all on specific domains or URL patterns (such as an admin panel after logging into the app, but still work on the front-end).

The yellow bar I'm referring to: https://d.pr/i/D9ZAjF

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tilzinger: I've never seen or heard of anything like that with 1Password X before. Is it maybe something specific to the Javascript on the site you're using, or with your browser settings?

• tilzinger
    tilzinger
    Community Member

Regardless of what is happening on my site its obviously triggering an error in 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Maybe. But it's only speculation without being able to test it. If you'd like us to look into it, be sure to share the details. :)

This discussion has been closed.