Request: Auto lock after 1Password X idle

Options

Hi, I use 1Password X on my work computer (running Linux) I've noticed that it is only possible to set 1Password to lock itself after a preset system idle time. However, on my MacBook (running the macOS version of 1Password) I am able to set auto-lock to happen after a preset 1Password idle time. To me, it feels more secure for the auto-lock to occur after 1Password has been idle for some time, rather than after the computer has been idle. Would it be possible for this feature to be implemented in 1Password X?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• dteare
    Options

Hi @jamesbwte,

Thanks for bringing up this interesting question as it gives me chance to talk about how our automatic locking works and why we chose to do it this way.

Let's start by making sure we're on the same page as there's something you said that confused me. 1Password for Mac uses the computer idle item when deciding if it should lock or not. To be 100% sure we're on the same page, you can see this in 1Password > Preferences > Security where the label says Lock after computer is idle for X minutes.

We tried to replicate this behaviour as much as possible as it's the best option in my opinion. I think system idle time is better than 1Password idle time because if nothing happens on my computer for 5 minutes, I've likely left the room and 1Password should lock. Whereas if 1Password has not been used for 5 minutes, it's very possible I've been actively using my computer during that entire time and I'd get annoyed if 1Password locked during that time. By using the computer idle time instead of 1Password idle time, you're able to have a much shorter automatic lock time, which will increase your overall security.

I'm guessing what caused you to think 1Password X and 1Password for Mac were different is we used the word system in 1Password X and computer in 1Password for Mac. We should make changes to make them be consistent.

I hope that helps. Please let me know. 👋

++dave;

This discussion has been closed.