Do I still need Dropbox sync with a shared family plan? That, and other getting started questions.

stickyfingers
stickyfingers
Community Member

I upgraded to a Family plan and I'm wondering whether I still need to sync to Dropbox or if the AgileBits account is now where my backup resides?

Also, I am wondering whether I need to keep my Primary and Personal vaults?

My wife had been paying for her own 1password account before this. Does she cancel her account and join mine? How do we coordinate that and ensure she doesn't lose her data?

Lastly, I want to add 1password to my son's computer. What's the best way to do that? Do I need to download the app from your website or can I do it from the Apple app store, and then is there a simple way to add it to the family account?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 13.4
Sync Type: Family Plan
Referrer: forum-search:with family subscription do I still need dropbox?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I upgraded to a Family plan and I'm wondering whether I still need to sync to Dropbox or if the AgileBits account is now where my backup resides?

@stickyfingers: 1Password.com handles all of that: syncing your encrypted data between the server and all of your authorized devices, and automatic offsite backup for everything in your account. And item history, in case you make a mistake like I do. haha

Also, I am wondering whether I need to keep my Primary and Personal vaults?

The Primary vault is not associated with an account. It is stored locally on the device. The Personal vault is part of your account. So it's best to make sure you have everything you need in your account, likely in the Personal vault, and then remove the Primary.

My wife had been paying for her own 1password account before this. Does she cancel her account and join mine? How do we coordinate that and ensure she doesn't lose her data?

Invite her to your 1Password Families plan. Then she will have two accounts. She can sign into both accounts in the app and then move her data from one to the other.

Lastly, I want to add 1password to my son's computer. What's the best way to do that? Do I need to download the app from your website or can I do it from the Apple app store, and then is there a simple way to add it to the family account?

This is tougher because it's entirely up to you. Do you want to use your own account there, give him his own, or invite him as a guest (access to a single vault you share with him)? It just depends on what you think is best. :)

This discussion has been closed.