1Password X Firefox <Enter> after autofill

using 1Password X on Chrome I've gotten used to selecting a website to autofill, having the credentials filled, and then hitting return to login. I guess on Chrome the extension leaves the password field focused?

In any case, I don't get the same behaviour on most sites using Firefox (except this one, where the password field was left focused haha).

So, just a tiny suggestion - Can you leave the username or password field focused so that we can use to login without having to reach for the mouse?

Thanks muchly!

1Password Version: N/A
Extension Version: 1.6.6
OS Version: Firefox 60.0b12 (64-bit) on Linux
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@haraldwithtwoehs: Thanks for getting in touch! Indeed, sorry for the trouble there. I'm not sure this is something that Firefox gives us control over, but we'll see if we can find a workaround. I feel exactly the same way. I actually almost always have not used autosubmit, so I'm a big fan of "fill login" + Enter myself. Thank you for bringing this up! :)

ref: b5x-387

• @haraldwithtwoehs: Could you point out some specific sites where the behaviour is different in Firefox? I want to make sure I can reproduce the issue, since plenty of sites do focus properly in both browsers after filling.

• haraldwithtwoehs
    haraldwithtwoehs
    Community Member

I’ll need to do some testing at home tonight - however, one thing I have noticed is that it usually focuses correctly if you use the in-form pop up instead of the Ctrl-Period dialogue...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I hadn't thought of it that way, but that makes sense to me: Firefox is (perhaps reasonably) switching the focus away from the webpage — to the browser chrome — when you interact with it. I think that is probably okay 99% of the time...or, it simply doesn't matter at least. But it's just not what you and I want when we're trying to use 1Password to login to websites. I suspect there isn't something we can do about this, but worst case scenario this seems to be a reasonable workaround:

1. Use the keyboard shortcut to fill
    2. Use the Enter key to submit the form

Since we're already interacting with the keyboard anyway, it doesn't seem to be such a big problem. But regardless it can be confusing to users, so we'll see what we can do to help. :)

• haraldwithtwoehs
    haraldwithtwoehs
    Community Member

Okay, confirmed:

• If I use Ctrl-Period to autofill, the text boxes are not focused, and I can't hit Enter to login
    • If I use the in-field popup (either by clicking with the mouse or using the keyboard) focus remains at the end of the password field and I can hit Enter

I have not encountered any sites in the last couple of days that behave otherwise...

Perhaps there's a way to make Firefox switch focus back to the login box after autofill, the way it works in Chrome? Or (since FF 60 is in beta) maybe you could reach out to the Firefox developers? :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for following up! Indeed, it would be nice if it could work that way. Ultimately the browser is in control of focus, but we'll see if we can find a means to work around that in the future. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.