Forms: sign-up versus login

I have a problem that sometimes occurs.

I sign up to a new web site, creating a new 1PW entry, the sign up form data is saved with the login details in 1PW.

However, when you then revisit the site the standard login form is often different to the sign up form so this breaks.

This doesn't happen with every site, but quite a few.

Is there a way around this? It would be good if there was a way to "relearn" the form when you next use a normal sign in, or a way to wipe the existing stored form data easily.

At the moment the options seem to be, manually removing the form fields from the entry in 1PW, or take a copy of the username/password, delete the 1PW login entry and let it create a new one.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @xciv,

What you're seeing can be very site dependent even though a lot of the filling logic is designed to try and do its best to fill a page that it hasn't seen before. At the moment there isn't a way to instruct 1Password to relearn a page by replacing the web form details from when it was saved with the new page. Manually removing entries from the web form details is unlikely to help in most scenarios so the quickest way forward is probably manually save a new Login item using the steps detailed on our support page How to save a Login manually in your browser. You can then delete the old item once you're sure 1Password has everything correct.

My own habits are to use 1Password to generate the password at registration but to then decline saving the Login item. I log our of the account, log in via their sign-in form and use 1Password to fill the password field with the Password item it created when using the Password Generator. I then let 1Password save a Login item at this point. This ensures the Login item knows about the sign-in form with the added advantage that if the URL is a dedicated login page that open-and-fill will work as well in contrast to 1Password saving the URL for the registration page. That's just my own habits of course and it isn't to say you must use it this way.

We have fielded requests to allow replacing the web form details with a new version and it is something to be considered. We just need to make sure whatever we do doesn't make it easy to accidentally replace important details via a vague or easily misinterpreted UI (User Interface).

• xciv
    xciv
    Community Member

I see, thank you. So if I decline saving the login item, will the password still be retained as a password item rather than a login item? I wasn't aware of this.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @xciv,

That is correct :smile: Any time you make use of the Password Generator from the 1Password mini menu it generates a Password item that is retained as a safety net, just in case anything goes wrong. 1Password will only remove these automatically if it prompts you to save or update a Login item and you follow through with this action. If after creating/updating a Login item 1Password finds there exists a Password item for the same domain and the passwords match, then and only then will it remove the Password item. That way, if it's a particularly weird page and 1Password doesn't prompt to save for any reason you know the Password isn't lost to the winds. No matter how great 1Password gets at detecting and filling, I will always feel a bit happier knowing there is a safety net that can help.

• xciv
    xciv
    Community Member

Great, thanks for the tip!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

:+1:

This discussion has been closed.