Proxy pac not working

Options
ChartFreak
ChartFreak
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi,

I'm using 1Password at home and at work. At work we use a proxy.pac file for selecting the right proxy server for different URLs.
When I add the proxy name to the "Advanced" settings it works. When I put the proxy pac file in it, it does not work. IE, FireFox and Google Chrome have no problems wit the pac file.

Please post here an E-Mail address
where I can reply and append our proxy pac file so that you can easily test it.

Thanx.
Greetings from Germany

1Password Version: 7.0.532
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 8.1
Sync Type: Family Vault

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @ChartFreak,

Thanks for writing in. What happens if you did not specify anything in proxy settings? We support PAC automatically now in 1Password 6.8 and later including 1Password 7 but you have to make sure nothing is entered manually in the proxy settings because it will not be used to find the PAC file.

Please do not include your PAC file, we do not accept files like this for privacy/security reasons but you may email us any time at support@agilebits.com.

• ChartFreak
    ChartFreak
    Community Member
    Options

Thanx MikeT,

interesting things happen:

I now let the proxy field empty, exited 1Passowrd 6.8.496 and restarted it.

Now the right proxy is shown in the proxy field in the Advanced settings. So, everything works as expected. But this is a notebook. If I am at home restarting the computer and 1Password the proxy advanced setting is still set to the company’s proxy so 1Password has no internet access at home.

When I start Internet Explorer for example at home it tries to find the proxy. As it cannot find the proxy it does not use it and so I am directly connected to the internet and all is working in IE.

So, you must somehow remember that the user had originally an empty proxy field and on every 1Password startup (or every few minutes which is better if the Notebook is going to standby in the company and woke up at home) you must check the pac file again to get the right proxy. If you cannot find the proxy (you could ping it) then take the setting without proxy and direct internet access like I have at home.

Or better just let run your algorithm (say FindProxy) to get the proxy from the pac file at least on Startup (and every few minutes) and check if the proxy which is now filled in the Advanced settings is the same as the outcome from the algorithm. If it does not match take the new proxy (or none) from FindProxy and fill it in the Advanced settings. This ensures that always the right proxy (or none) is used.

Any questions?

Sorry for the long text...

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @ChartFreak,

So, you must somehow remember that the user had originally an empty proxy field and on every 1Password startup (or every few minutes which is better if the Notebook is going to standby in the company and woke up at home) you must check the pac file again to get the right proxy. If you cannot find the proxy (you could ping it) then take the setting without proxy and direct internet access like I have at home.

That is what we're doing and why I suggested to leave it empty. It does fall back to direct connection. We do check for a new proxy at each network request if it fails to connect.

The weird thing is, it is also not supposed to include the proxy server address, it should just say this:

When you remove the proxy address, did you click Apply to remove it for sure? Try again but this time, click Apply.

When changing network, and if you still can't access network at home, click the Apply button too, it'll force a network configuration check and apply the settings properly.

• ChartFreak
    ChartFreak
    Community Member
    Options

Thanx MikeT,

it is working. I left the address empty, clicked on "Check for updates" and it detected a new version and in the address field I saw the proxy from the pac file. I then removed the LAN cable from my company and used a Wireless connection on a router with direct internet access. I closed 1Password, restarted and clicked on "Check for updates". It also showed me a new version. Great.

The only strange thing is that the proxy address field is still filled with the company proxy and it can find the update. The proxy field should be updated with the proxy. If 1Password has detected a DIRECT connection, you should remove the address entry.

But who cares, it works. I am just a guy who always want 100% in software (I am a developer too) and I would remove things I don't understand.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @ChartFreak,

Awesome but you shouldn't have to restart 1Password at all, it should automatically detect and fall back to direct connection automatically when the first proxy fails.

The only strange thing is that the proxy address field is still filled with the company proxy and it can find the update. The proxy field should be updated with the proxy

It shouldn't even fill the proxy field in any situations as long as the proxy data is coming from outside of 1Password. This seems like a bug somewhere. Can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report after reproducing the company proxy address being filled, use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• ChartFreak
    ChartFreak
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT,

I tried the same with the new Beta 7.0.539 (former tests were version 6.8). Now the proxy fields are always empty and everything seems to work as it should with the proxy.pac file. No need to dig further with 6.8 as I use only the 7.0.x version from now on.

I will look at it in the next months and when the version 7 is no longer beta. If anything goes wrong in the future, I will send you a mail with the diagnostics.

Thanx for your help.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @ChartFreak,

That's great to hear, thanks for your help with this.

This discussion has been closed.