Can't get 1Password mini or Chrome extension to do anything [Windows Bootcamp driver issues]

nriley
nriley
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I just set up 1Password 7 for Windows with a Dropbox synced vault. I had not previously used 1Password for Windows, just on Mac and iOS.

The app itself works fine, but I cannot get it to connect to Chrome or bring up mini. Nothing happens when I click the 1Password icon in Chrome's toollbar, and when I try to pull up 1Password mini from the system tray or with the keyboard equivalent, nothing happens either.

I do see the following in the Diagnostics Report:

Warning: Username "Nicholas Riley" contains special characters, Chrome Native Messaging might not be able to start.

Is this the problem (this was the auto-generated username from Windows 10, it doesn't seem like a special case) or is something else going on?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.0.519
Extension Version: 4.7.0.3
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I just set up 1Password 7 for Windows with a Dropbox synced vault. I had not previously used 1Password for Windows, just on Mac and iOS. The app itself works fine, but I cannot get it to connect to Chrome or bring up mini. Nothing happens when I click the 1Password icon in Chrome's toollbar, and when I try to pull up 1Password mini from the system tray or with the keyboard equivalent, nothing happens either. I do see the following in the Diagnostics Report: Warning: Username "Nicholas Riley" contains special characters, Chrome Native Messaging might not be able to start.

@nriley: Unfortunately that's probably the issue, as only an alphanumeric string is technically allowed as a username. However, it's worth checking to make sure you have Native Messaging enabled in 1Password Settings > Advanced. You'd then have to restart Windows. Let me know what you find.

Is this the problem (this was the auto-generated username from Windows 10, it doesn't seem like a special case) or is something else going on?

I could argue either way on this one, but the reality is that our opinions don't matter so long as Chrome itself has this limitation. Nevertheless I'm sorry for the trouble you're experiencing with that. Very frustrating. But if that is in fact the cause, the only solution is to create a new user account which conforms. :(

• nriley
    nriley
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

This space in my username does not seem to have been the problem. I think this is related to an issue with running Windows 10 on a MacBook Pro, and the Boot Camp drivers leave something to be desired. This causes a few apps on Windows to just display nothing or a white/black screen rather than the desired text. The other apps (other than 1Password mini; the full 1Password app displays OK) that were so affected I've found thus far are Citrix Receiver and Visual Studio. I had no trouble bringing up 1Password mini and filling passwords in Chrome if I connected to my MacBook Pro via Remote Desktop, bypassing the video drivers. So, still probably not your fault!

• MikeT
    edited March 2018

Hi @nriley,

Thanks for letting us know that. Apple's Bootcamp drivers do leave a lot to be desired.

[This is not recommended nor a statement made by AgileBits] Now, I have this out of the way; on my iMac, I use these modified AMD drivers from https://www.bootcampdrivers.com/. They are definitely stable for me and I can see difference in the performance. I don't know if your Macbook Pro has an AMD GPU but if it does, you may want to give it a try.

• MikeT
    edited March 2018

One more thing, have you been able to test the standalone vault sync in both directions in the latest 1Password 7 Alpha 2 update? We'd love to know how it is working out for you.

• nriley
    nriley
    Community Member

I've found Dropbox sync kind of flaky. I see the changes to the 1Password files happening in Dropbox but not updating in the 1Password for Windows app until some time later. I haven't found a reproducible case unfortunately, but will keep trying.

Another thing - I have to unlock 1Password for Windows with my 1Password account password rather than the Dropbox vault's password - this seems weird. Is there any way to change this, or am I missing something?

• nriley
    nriley
    Community Member

(Also, not AMD video, it's Intel, but thanks for the pointer!)

• Hi @nriley,

We've seen weird random Intel driver issues over the years, affecting 1Password as well. You may want to try checking for Windows updates for any Intel drivers update or download from Intel's site. Be sure to back up your Windows partition before you do so, Intel drivers caused some issues in the past for me.

I see the changes to the 1Password files happening in Dropbox but not updating in the 1Password for Windows app until some time later.

That may be expected, 1Password 7 will wait 5 seconds until all files are synced and then start merging the changes into its database. We will optimize this later to be shorter once we're happy the sync is working properly.

Beside the delays, any other issues you may have noticed?

Another thing - I have to unlock 1Password for Windows with my 1Password account password rather than the Dropbox vault's password - this seems weird. Is there any way to change this, or am I missing something?

Technically, this is expected at the moment if you've originally signed in to a 1Password account, which will set the master password for the 1Password local database. Signing out of the first account does not yet switch the master password if you have a standalone vault and not another 1Password account. If you have a second 1Password account, it will update to the second account. It's just not aware of standalone vaults yet. The entire 1Password experience will be worked on to support standalone vaults after we're done with the entire OPVault support, we're working on attachments and custom icons next for the Folder Sync.

• nriley
    nriley
    Community Member

So now in 7.0.525, I was able to remove my 1Password account (which I had only created for the purposes of getting 1Password for Windows to work), but the vault still has my old account password. Is there any way to change / revert to the master password for a standalone vault in this version?

• Hi @nriley,

There is but we haven't implemented the UI for it at the moment.

The best way to handle this for now is to rename your existing 1Password database folder and open your standalone vaults directly. Here's how: https://support.1password.com/starting-over/?windows#1password-6

• nriley
    nriley
    Community Member

Thanks! That works great.

• You're welcome!

• nriley
    nriley
    Community Member

FWIW, this is partially fixed as of 7.0.539 on the 1Password side. The main 1Password mini now displays (!!!) but the password generator is a blank window.

• Hi @nriley,

That is unusual, we didn't do anything to change this in 539 update, beside adding a border and shadow to 1Password mini. The password generator already have that, so it wouldn't help...

Does it happen all the time? Just to be clear, was it blank prior to 539? I am asking because we changed nothing with it in 539.

• nriley
    nriley
    Community Member

Yes it happens consistently. It didn't appear at all prior to 539 or maybe the immediately previous version (as described at the top of this). Here's an example:

• @nriley: I hate saying this sort of stuff, but beyond ensuring drivers are updated as MikeT mentioned, there's really not much help we can offer here. This rendering is controlled at the system level and, again as Mike mentioned, we've made no changes that should affect it in the latest update. :frown:

• nriley
    nriley
    Community Member

@bundtkate thanks! I realize this is not your bug and still bought 1P for Windows anyway. Mostly I was just updating the thread as a courtesy for anyone else who has the same problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Totally! Thank you! never know when it might help someone else. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.