From Mr. Non-Technical, can I share my 1Password with my wife?

hawgjohn
hawgjohn
Community Member

I am running 1Password Version 6 on my MacBook Pro Retina Display (version 10.13.4) and my iPhone 6 (version 11.3). My 1Password is a single purchase from years ago, not a subscription. My needs are simple. My concern is that I am 78; my wife is 60. If, as and when anything happens to me, I would like my wife to be familiar with 1Password and to have access to all of our accounts (websites and passwords, etc.) I sync 1Password through Dropbox.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Don't knowO
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:From Mr. Non-Technical, can I share my 1Password with my wife?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

It might actually depend on exactly when you bought a licence. Mostly the licence was for one person only, with an alternative licence available for a family. However, I believe that there was a period when the licence covered more than one person. If the email address you used in buying is the same as the one in this forum, an AgileBits staff member should be able to check the terms of the licence.

If your licence was for one person only, and your wife does not have a licence, there is a strong case for you to buy a Family subscription. That would, among other things, make it much easier to sort things in the event of illness or death.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hawgjohn: Indeed, it will depend on what you purchased, but it will say in your license information if it is for you alone or for your family.

But I think there's a good case to be made for a 1Password.com membership either way. If you go with 1Password Families, you'll each have your own account, and if both of you are Organizers there, you'll also be able to help the other recover their account if needed. But if you're both happy sharing everything, an individual 1Password.com membership shared between you may be sufficient. And, regardless of the 1Password.com membership type you choose, there are a few important things that enables:

• You can store a copy of your Emergency Kit in a safe deposit box, so you or your wife can access the account if needed.
    • Your encrypted data stored in your 1Password.com account will be accessible by signing in, even on the website, so you won't need to worry about being able to access it on a computer (which probably would have another password).
    • Automatic offsite backup of everything you save in your 1Password.com account — including item history.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.