Can't fill in email fields

I've created 2 different identity profiles. 1 for business and 1 for home. When I am on a page that asks for my email, I go to the 1Password icon in my browser and select the proper identity, but it won't fill out the email field. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I believe that I have the email correctly placed in the created identity.

Also, is there a quicker way to fill in an email field than having to go to the icon, click, go to identities and then choose the right one? Is there a keystroke that I'm missing?

I know that with Dashlane, there was an icon within each filed that I could click on and it would autofill.

I am really enjoying 1Password, but the field autofill for address, and email seems challenging.

1Password Version: Beta 8
Extension Version: Beta 8
OS Version: OSX 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @Explorz,

As a quick test to see what we might be looking at, can you log out of our public support forums and visit the sign-in page. If you fill with your Identity item there does 1Password fill the email address into the email/username field? if it doesn't it suggests something specific to this Identity item while if it does then it sounds like we're having problems identifying the field on a specific page. The troubleshooting will be quite different depending on which it is so we can adapt once we learn whether it fills or not here :smile:

• Explorz
    Explorz
    Community Member

I think you may be misunderstanding. It fills in the password fine for pages where the user name is an email. I'm talking about regular forms where we need to fill out all our information like name, address, email for contact, etc...

• Explorz
    Explorz
    Community Member

I've gone back the the created identities in 1Password and I have my email in there as an email field. It picks up birth date, address, name and phone number, but will not populate the email address on forms. I've tried all manner of forms and each one reaches the same to the identities I set up in 1Password. The email field won't populate. But it does for all sites where I've saved the login information specific to that site and the user name is an email.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @Explorz,

I know it sounds odd but what I know is if I fill with my Identity item on the sign-in form for these forums it will fill the email address in the Identity item into the email field in the sign-in form. By itself that isn't any use for signing in which have correctly identified is the purpose of the Login item but the test will tell us something important. Given the email address in an Identity item fills on that page for me if it doesn't for you we know it's something specific to this Identity item as the behaviour should be consistent. If it fills on that page we learn the Identity item is good but that sites where you currently want to fill with an Identity item are failing and that will be for a very different reason which we will need to determine.

I hope that makes sense. I'm using the sign-in page simply because it's a known quantity that we can both easily test to determine where the issue seems to lie even though you wouldn't normally want to fill the sign-in form with an Identity item.

• Explorz
    Explorz
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

So, I signed out and when I went to to sign in page I didn't use the saved login from 1Password. Instead I tried to fill in the fields using the saved identity. The email field did not populate. And of course the password field didn't either. But that was expected. So, the identity I created in 1Password is not relating the email field there with email fields in forms.

• Explorz
    Explorz
    Community Member

I think I just figured it out. I was adding an "email" field in the identity and placing it where the name, address and phone number info is kept. That just seemed intuitively where it should go. Just now I added my email under the "Internet" heading and now it populates in forms.

So, it was user error. But really it is quite unintuitive. It seems that if there is the ability to add a specific email field then that should get picked up as an email that we want associated with our identity. Not sure why it is even there if it isn't used to fill in online forms.

But when I added my email under the "Internet" section, then it is used for filling forms.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I think I just figured it out. I was adding an "email" field in the identity and placing it where the name, address and phone number info is kept. That just seemed intuitively where it should go. Just now I added my email under the "Internet" heading and now it populates in forms.

@Explorz: Indeed, custom (user-created) fields do not fill because 1Password has no way of knowing how to handle them. Sorry for the confusion there.

So, it was user error. But really it is quite unintuitive. It seems that if there is the ability to add a specific email field then that should get picked up as an email that we want associated with our identity. Not sure why it is even there if it isn't used to fill in online forms.

It was there because you added it.

But when I added my email under the "Internet" section, then it is used for filling forms.

1Password's built-in templates allow it to connect specific fields to its "filling recipe" code, which allow it to fill that information in most cases. Does that make sense? I think maybe I'm not explaining it very well, so please let me know if you have any followup questions.

• Explorz
    Explorz
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

What I meant by "I don't know why it is even there" is...

I don't know why the option is there to add an email field if 1Password won't use it to fill in forms. Perhaps Identities are used for more than filling in forms. Perhaps they serve other purposes?

I'm just giving feedback that from a user perspective, it isn't very intuitive. Why not add an email field up where one is inputting their other most commonly used form fill information?

Email is usually asked for on forms, much more than occupation or birthday. So, it seems that the most commonly requested form information should all be together in one place. Putting your email way down under Internet settings just seems unintuitive.

Certainly the proper placement of email within the Internet section of the Identity could have been pointed out early in our dialogue when it was clear that forms wasn't picking up my email.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

What I meant by "I don't know why it is even there" is... I don't know why the option is there to add an email field if 1Password won't use it to fill in forms. Perhaps Identities are used for more than filling in forms. Perhaps they serve other purposes?

@Explorz: Maybe I'm still misunderstanding, but let me know if this helps: 1Password allows custom fields to be created in any item, so the "email" type isn't there for Identities specifically. Identities already include an "email" field, and that can be used for filling. But I think it would be a bit weird (and probably a waste of time) for us to go through and decide that certain custom field types were not allowed in one place or another.

I'm just giving feedback that from a user perspective, it isn't very intuitive. Why not add an email field up where one is inputting their other most commonly used form fill information?

I'm not sure that "email address" is often used when filling out mailing forms, for example for shipping. I don't usually see email show up on pages where I want to use 1Password to fill my physical address, but I don't mind that it's there as it doesn't affect me otherwise.

Email is usually asked for on forms, much more than occupation or birthday. So, it seems that the most commonly requested form information should all be together in one place. Putting your email way down under Internet settings just seems unintuitive.

You're not wrong, but I'm not sure that that you're right either. The default email field shows up right under my address and phone number. So while I won't argue that's the perfect place, I'm not sure that's such bad one either. Can you give me an example URL of the type of site you're referring to? It just has't come up before.

Certainly the proper placement of email within the Internet section of the Identity could have been pointed out early in our dialogue when it was clear that forms wasn't picking up my email.

I don't think we're going to agree on what is "proper". Generally we find that people create custom fields for things when they find there is no default field that suits them. I wouldn't have assumed you were expecting a custom field you added yourself intentionally was the cause of your issue either. And, after all, we have no way of knowing you'd created one in the first place; only you would know. :blush:

• Explorz
    Explorz
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

For me, the default email field that you say shows up 'right under' the address and phone number isn't there in my application. The ONLY place where there is a default email field is down under "Internet Details".

So, when I say "proper" I mean effective - the only place where the email field gets picked up by forms, and that is way down in the Internet section.

All I needed to know was, "The only place you can put in an email address that will get picked up by forms is down in the "Internet Details" section.

It seemed that if I created a custom "Email" field, that it would get recognized.

See screen shots. Email, which is used on forms far more than occupation, department and job title, is buried way down the template. Whenever I am buying something, of course the forms to be filled out are asking for my email. Certainly not my occupation or department.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Explorz,

We likely need to find a better way of highlighting certain 1Password behaviour to try and avoid the confusion you've experienced. 1Password can only use very particular item types when filling and in those it only uses certain default fields. From your screenshot you'll notice that the username and email fields in the internet details section cannot be removed, just like a number of the fields at the top. These are the default fields which 1Password will use when filling.

Custom fields, whilst very useful, are not considered when filling. The ability to set the field type allows for certain specific behaviours e.g. password fields are obscured, email fields have a secondary function to use the email URI i.e. it would open a new email window if you have an email client setup and so on. Their primary role though is for supplementary information that is useful to you and I as the user. I like to use the email type for Login items where there is a separate username and I create entire custom sections for security questions when needed so custom fields can be useful.

So 1Password needs to do better in indicating to the new user the behaviour they should expect. Hopefully this conversation has helped clarify this a little for you given 1Password didn't do well enough in the UI (User Interface) department.

• Explorz
    Explorz
    Community Member

Thank you. That is more clear now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thank you for illustrating that 1Password itself needs to be more clear about this. We'll see what we can do to make it more intuitive in the future. :)

This discussion has been closed.