Moving my private 1Password account (no subscription) into a trial family plan

hawk_iag
hawk_iag
Community Member

I have an existing 1Password account purchased from the apple store on my iMac & love it. How do I add this to my free trial of a family plan. No problem with exporting from my private plan (no annual fees) & importing into the family plan, please just tell me how to do it. Thanks for being there.

An aside, I am appalled over a recent article that told me how some password managers feed both information and my internet use into the business community. Will have more to say on this topic later.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I add my vault established with 1password purchased from the app store in 2011 to my subscription based family account?

Comments

• Hi @hawk_iag

Instructions for that can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

An aside, I am appalled over a recent article that told me how some password managers feed both information and my internet use into the business community. Will have more to say on this topic later.

I’d be interested to hear what the claim actually is and who they are claiming that about. Please start a new thread in the Lounge to discuss further. :)

Ben

• hawk_iag
    hawk_iag
    Community Member

Totally confused by these instructions. Let me try to give a detailed description of my problem.

1. I have setup a trail family membership. The account exists with a random 4 word password on my iMac. Nothing has been entered in this account and I am the owner.

2. I have an existing 1Password account with hundreds of entries on the same iMac. This account was purchased from the Apple App store a number of years ago and fully paid for. This is not a single user plan and currently described in the Agile web site.

3. I want to move the old vault into the family membership under my name as the owner.

4. After this is complete and a few days of testing I would like to remove the old vault.

Will also start a new thread later.

• @hawk_iag: Have you signed in to the account in 1Password for Mac on your iMac? If not, open Preferences > Accounts, and click the [+] button to sign in to your 1Password Families account. When you do so it should ask you if you'd like to move your data over and it will do most of the work for you.

If you've already signed in on your Mac, you should see the vault switcher dropdown in the upper left hand corner of 1Password for Mac. There you should see Primary, Private, Shared. Choose Primary, select all of the items in the list, then use the Item > Share > Private > Copy... menu item. This will copy all of your data from your old Primary vault to your 1Password Families account.

Does that help?

Rick

• hawk_iag
    hawk_iag
    Community Member

The problem has not been solved. My description of the problem was incomplete. My old app was with my gmail account. My new trial of the family plan is with my iCloud account. Is there any way that I may transfer my gmail vault to my iCloud vault as the owner? I setup the new account with Apple iCloud because I could not find my gmail account license & do not trust Google as much as Apple. But yesterday I found my old license for 1Password which I purchased from the Apple App Store, not Agile.

Please help, I am sorry that I never made the switch to the family plan a long time ago. Once I am setup, I will ask questions about where my iCloud backup should exist, either Apple or Agile.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The problem has not been solved. My description of the problem was incomplete.

@hawk_iag: Thanks for the clarification! Happy to help in any way I can. :)

My old app was with my gmail account. My new trial of the family plan is with my iCloud account. Is there any way that I may transfer my gmail vault to my iCloud vault as the owner?

I think there's some confusion here. If you purchased only the app originally, there would be no account associated with that. You'll only have one as part of a 1Password.com membership, and those did not exist at all until relatively recently (about two years ago now).

I setup the new account with Apple iCloud because I could not find my gmail account license & do not trust Google as much as Apple. But yesterday I found my old license for 1Password which I purchased from the Apple App Store, not Agile.

To clarify, a standalone license does not apply to a 1Password.com membership. These are completely separate, so nothing to worry about there. So which email address you happened to use at the time of purchase for a specific app won't matter either; all the latest versions are included in your subscription. :)

Please help, I am sorry that I never made the switch to the family plan a long time ago. Once I am setup, I will ask questions about where my iCloud backup should exist, either Apple or Agile.

As mentioned above, that's no problem, as this option hasn't existed for very long! With a 1Password.com membership, there is no Apple/iCloud or other 3rd party companies/services involved. Seamless sync and automatic offsite backup are both built into the service. Anything you save in your account is available to you across your devices, and it's all redundantly backed up so that even if all of your devices are lost, stolen, or destroyed, you can access it again just by signing into the app or website. Once you've saved something in your account there is literally nothing else you need to do. You'll even have item history at your disposal in case you change (or delete) something by mistake. I know that's helped me a few times!

Anyway, I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• hawk_iag
    hawk_iag
    Community Member

Folks,

I have finally setup a second family account & have copied my primary vault to my private vault under the second family plan. My iMac now is complete. However both my iPhone and my MacBook Air have problems.

1. The MacBook Air will not login to my family account even though I have carefully entered the forty byte secret key & my ten byte password. Both times it failed.
    2. My iPhone account will not connect to my family-royal account after I scanned the setup code and entered my ten byte passcode.

There is more to accomplish after my private account is accessible on both devices. My wife has a shared account on the MacBook Air and her own iPhone. What kinds of 1password surprises await.

Ralf

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hawk_iag: Since we don't want to discuss account details here in a public forum, I've emailed you just now. Let's continue the conversation there so we can get you and your family setup. :)

ref: BYB-81869-566

• hawk713
    hawk713
    Community Member

Folks,

1password works fine on my iMac using a trial version of the family plan. But I have a question about usage on a shared computer.

Is this a feasible design:

My wife and I each have a userid on a MacBook Air. When we are away from home we share use of this computer.

When she logs on to the MacBook using her login password could she use 1password with her password and see my secondary vault in our family account. But she could not see my private vault.

When I log on to the same computer using my userid and password and use 1password as the owner of the family account I have access to all vaults because my password is different than hers.

Will this allow both of us to use the 1password app and browser helpers?

My password will be much stronger than hers because the private vault must have very strong protection, secondary vaults are not as critical. All cloud backup will only be with Agilebits.

• Yes, that should work. :) No one ever has access to anyone else’s Private vault.

Ben

• hawk_iag
    hawk_iag
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

I am unable to add family members to the last family account and have no idea why. My password is not accepted and this blocks me from sending an invitation to other family members. Both family accounts are in free trial for another two weeks. Please contact me privately by eMail or my phone.

1Password Version: 6.8.8 (688001)
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
    Sync Type: agilebits?
    Referrer: forum-search:How do I add my vault established with 1password purchased from the app store in 2011 to my subscription based family account?

• hawk_iag
    hawk_iag
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

This morning I received an email asking me to verify an account which I did not ask for. When I proceeded I realized it was setting up yet another account and aborted the setup. However I believe I now have multiple 1password trial accounts but I only want ONE. The account I want to keep is a family account and it is working fine on my iMac. However I am unable to make it work on my other devices (an iPhone and a MacBook Air. Is there anyone who can help? Also I have responded to Tully in Australia but have not heard back from him. Please confirm that Agelebits has a support site in Tasmania, Australia and that Tully is legitimate because I executed code to verify the problem from all my devices.

• Tully is legit and works for us. :) We’ll be in touch with you via email ASAP.

Ben

• Tully
    Tully
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

I'm sorry @hawk_iag – I've been away the past couple days and will get back to you on email momentarily. Cheers!

• hawk_iag
    hawk_iag
    Community Member

thanks,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.