Typing problem in the search field with 1pX 1.6.6 on Firefox

Hi,

I'm using the 1password X beta for Firefox, on Nightly.

There's a rather annoying issue when searching.
If I type "ssh" then instead of literally typing a space in the search field, it scrolls the left sidebar where the items are.
However if I then hit I can then type again "sshkey".

This behaviour also comes back at times, for example when I clear the search by deleting everything. I've also seen it come back after deleting some characters of the search field only, but I can't reproduce this consistently.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.6.6
OS Version: Fedora Linux 27
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sphax: Do you perhaps have a single item that begins with "ssh" in 1Password X? I do, so the same thing happens to me if I type "ssh": 1Password X selects that item, as it's the only match. The same thing happens if I type "what", "spring", and probably a number of other similar cases I haven't noticed yet. So while this is working as intended (once you've narrowed the search results to a single item, arguably you've found what you were looking for and want to view it), I'd like to get a better sense of what you'd expected to happen, in case there's something we can do to improve it that makes sense. Thanks in advance! :)

• sphax
    sphax
    Community Member

Hi @brenty

I have multiple items starting with "SSH ". Here's a screenshot of I what i expect when I type "ssh"; those are all my items starting with SSH.

However what I get is the space being intercepted somehow which causes scrolling in the item list.
    If I continue typing for example to search "ssh key", the search field end up being "sshk".

Also, I'm pretty sure the bug isn't present in version 1.6.3. I didn't remember having this bug in 1.6.3 so I removed 1.6.6 and reinstalled 1.6.3 and I can't reproduce it there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sphax: Okay, that's definitely weird. I'm not sure what would be intercepting the space. I'm just not seeing that here.

As an example, I have a lot of stuff which includes the letters "google". If I type only "google", I get a lot of weird stuff — such as a login for a site completely unrelated to Google, which happens to have "%22GOOGLE" as part of a messy referrer string in the URL, which I never would have expected. If, however, I type "google " with a space after it, I get only results that have a separate word "google" (hence the trailing space). Does that help explain what you're seeing with and without the space, even though I'm unable to get anything on my system to intercept the space for me?

• sphax
    sphax
    Community Member

Hm, I'm not sure I understand.

With just "ssh" as a filter I get a lot more items yes, I keep more than a hundred items tagged ssh for servers logins. I only have a handful of items matching "ssh".

Since you mentioned it, I too have multiple items matching "google" and I can't reproduce the behavior in this case: the space is never intercepted.

I'll try to reproduce the problem on a new vault without tags and with my other extensions disabled.

• sphax
    sphax
    Community Member

Well I removed the ssh tags on all my items and now I can't reproduce this bug.

Even after adding the ssh tag on some items it doesn't come back.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sphax: Hmm. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you meant by "intercepted". Or maybe your original "ssh" tag was really an "ssh " tag (with a space at the end). Is that possible?

• sphax
    sphax
    Community Member

Sorry, english isn't my first language so I have some trouble expressing myself clearly :)

The tag was just "ssh".

What I mean by intercepted is that instead of literally typing a space in the search field, a hit on the key "space" would trigger a scroll down in the items list.
    So I'm typing the keys s -> s -> h -> -> k . It results in the string "sshk" in the search field without a space, while I would expect the space to be in the search field too. And it scrolled the items list too.

After more testing, I am able to reproduce it on other items, so it's probably not related to tags. There's a couple of search term that triggers this behavior, and the only thing I can see is that it matches a lot of items.
    But then, I tried to test this by creating around 20 items in the form "foobar 1", "foobar 2" etc, enough that it needs scrolling in the popup and still I can't reproduce it.

I hope that makes more sense.

• sphax
    sphax
    Community Member

Also, I just tested with all extensions disabled besides 1Password X and it's still there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sphax: Thank you for confirming. Is there maybe something else on your system capturing or modifying input? Are you seeing the same behaviour on any other machines? I'm sorry to say that this has me stumped so far. :(

This discussion has been closed.