New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

1353637383941»

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Ben, you're very welcome. We also have a support guide to help get you started!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• kdar
    kdar
    Community Member

Now that firefox support WebExtensions, hopefully you can make this work with firefox as well. It installs now currently, but you get errors like:

Reading manifest: Error processing update_url: An unexpected property was found in the WebExtension manifest.
    Reading manifest: Error processing options_page: An unexpected property was found in the WebExtension manifest.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's definitely something we'd like ourselves, so I suspect it is only a matter of time — and a bit of development and testing. ;)

• k4ch0
    k4ch0
    Community Member

Hi team,

I want to participate on the beta test for Linux/Firefox.

How can I do it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@k4ch0: There is no such beta. As mentioned above, we'd like to bring 1Password X to Firefox, but that will have to wait until we're finished with our current development focus on Chrome. Thanks for your interest! :)

• k4ch0
    k4ch0
    Community Member

Hi @brenty, thanks for the answer!

In that case, I don't want to use my free month waiting for a new feature, it is possible to reset my status until you have the firefox/Linux feature working?
    Thanks in advance

• Sure; please reach out to us via email when the time comes and we can reset your trial for you.

Ben

• k4ch0
    k4ch0
    Community Member

Hello @brenty and @Ben, just to confirm, what should be the best email to reach you and reset the trial?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@k4ch0: support@1password.com — and please mention either of us and include a link to this discussion if you can, so we'll get notified and can connect the dots to help you faster. Cheers! :)

• MarcinP
    MarcinP
    Community Member

Hello. May I get quick reply what is a reason (except time and available resources) that 1password is not having native application for Linux? I really enjoy 1Password on MacOS (Native application) and so far using web browser on Linux (however this is not as good as native application). Please help me to understand this in more details. As I can see 1PasswordX is extension so far for Chrome and in the future for Firefox). However I would like to really see native application - that will be really valuable from my point of view.
    And to be clear - I am not speaking about Free (No cost) - Good product should be paid back to creators.

• Hi MarcinP,

As far as I’m aware the only reasons are time and available resources.

Ben

• premier69
    premier69
    Community Member

I also would like a Linux support for firefox. I am using Mint.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi premier69,

I see Lars has replied to your similar interest over here. He and brenty also replied in the 1password addon for Firefox on Linux Mint discussion where you also brought this up. There's nothing new to add beyond what they've already mentioned and thanks again for your interest. :)

• dnomode
    dnomode
    Community Member

I’ve been using 1Password for Mac since 2009. I’m in the process of ditching OS X and moving to Linux. So I also would love to see a full Linux version. The chrome plugin doesn’t work for me since I don’t use 1Password Family. I like to store my database locally and don’t feel comfortable with my password database in the cloud. Please get this going for us. I would be willing to pay for it as well. Thanks

• We don’t have any plans to offer a client for standalone vaults on Linux. Our recommendation would be to use 1Password X. We understand it is concerning when it seems like your passwords will be stored outside of your devices, but we have a guide which may help better understand how 1Password.com works available here:

About the 1Password security model

If you’re really interested in the details of how it all works I’d highly recommend reading out white paper which is linked at the bottom of that page.

Ben

• dnomode
    dnomode
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Hello Ben, Thanks for the info. More and more of us are getting sick of companies holding on to our information and tracking us with our devices. This is why I'm moving to linux and have stopped using the cloud for most of my private information.

I'm sure that your security model is awesome (I haven't read the white paper yet), however I don't want a corporation having my data and again I don't want my info in the cloud.

I started using 1password because I had the feeling that Dave Teare cared about his clients security and privacy. I would love to understand why AgileBits would not want to develop a standalone client for Linux.

Linux is the most secure and private OS available today. For a company involved in security, this seems like a legitimate platform to develop for. I hope AgileBits reconsiders, so your clients that truly still care for privacy and security can continue to feel secure using a great program such as 1password on a great platform.

Edmond

PS: please don't tell us time and available resources. We have plenty of resources for development.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hello Ben, Thanks for the info. More and more of us are getting sick of companies holding on to our information and tracking us with our devices. This is why I'm moving to linux and have stopped using the cloud for most of my private information.

@dnomode: I hear you. It's even just hard to keep track of. So we go to a lot of trouble to know as little as possible about 1Password users:

About 1Password and your privacy

And to keep things as clear and simple as possible, so that everyone can make informed decisions.

I'm sure that your security model is awesome (I haven't read the white paper yet), however I don't want a corporation having my data and again I don't want my info in the cloud.

Indeed, we feel the same way, which is why we don't ever get any of anyone's actual plaintext data. All data is encrypted locally on device, that's all the server gets, and the "keys" to it are also never transmitted to us. Otherwise we wouldn't use 1Password ourselves. We wouldn't have it any other way. Definitely check out the white paper.

I started using 1password because I had the feeling that Dave Teare cared about his clients security and privacy.

Dave, Roustem, Sara, Jeff and the whole AgileBits team do, and that's why we're all here: we can make a living doing what we love and feel good about it. :chuffed:

I would love to understand why AgileBits would not want to develop a standalone client for Linux.

I couldn't tell you even if we were, as plans can change, but for all you know we could be working on one right now. I don't think anyone has said we don't want to, or that we won't. But there are only so many things we can do, and currently we're focused on the platforms we already support. I think it's important to take care of our existing customers, and hopefully in the future we will be able to branch out further. And at the same time, I'm already using 1Password on Linux, and I know a lot of other people are too, thanks to 1Password X in Chrome. And we're working on getting that up and running in Firefox as well.

Linux is the most secure and private OS available today. For a company involved in security, this seems like a legitimate platform to develop for. I hope AgileBits reconsiders, so your clients that truly still care for privacy and security can continue to feel secure using a great program such as 1password on a great platform. Edmond

We're always evaluating what we need to work on, so it isn't a matter of writing off Linux. It seems like you're presuming that us saying "no, not now" has some kind of finality, or somehow an insult to Linux, but that's not the case. We just need to focus on the things that will do the most good for the greats number of people as best we can, Linux is not nearly as big as the other platforms we already need to support, and frankly most users who have asked for Linux support have indicated (you can see a lot of that in this very discussion) that an extension would be sufficient, many going so far as to suggest the thing we've done with 1Password X: made an extension that doesn't also require a native app. So it just made good sense to start there, since that also allows us to support Chrome OS, and folks on other platforms who prefer using 1Password that way can too.

PS: please don't tell us time and available resources. We have plenty of resources for development.

Maybe you do, and I think it's your prerogative how you use them. The same goes for us though. We have a responsibility to customers of our existing products first and foremost, and everything we say "yes" to — macOS, Android, iOS, Windows, web, Chrome, server, desktop extensions (and probably others I'm forgetting), along with individual features and improvements for each — means saying "no" to many, many other things in the short term. While we've already spent a lot of time and resources on 1Password X so that folks on Linux and other platforms and use 1Password, hopefully Linux can become a "yes" in the specific way you want it to someday as well. Cheers! :)

• brtsos
    brtsos
    Community Member

Hi! Please add me to test users too ;)

• Hi @brtsos,

Which beta are you looking to test? We’ve discussed a few different things in this thread.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

@brtsos: 1Password X has been available for a while now. You can find details on the beta version here. Similarly, the 1Password CLI app can also run on Linux, and can be found here. Cheers! :)

• Hi everyone.

I'm very excited to announce that there has been progress on this request. You can read more here:

1Password for Linux development preview

We'd love to hear from you over in our new Linux Development Preview forum category. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.