How to reveal words when changing Master Password so I can see what I'm typing

carly1452
carly1452
Community Member

I want to change my Master Password to a more secure passphrase. I unchecked the "conceal passwords" box so I can see what I'm typing, but the letters remained concealed. What am I doing wrong? I am using the 1password Apple store ap.

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@carly1452: That isn't possible. 1Password uses Apple's macOS Secure Input feature to prevent other apps from being able to capture what you enter in 1Password. That cannot be disabled. You can see what you type as you enter it on the keyboard itself, but you will not be able to see it on the screen. It's no problem if you make a mistake though. 1Password will not "lock you out" of your data. You'll simply need to try again and enter the password correctly. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• carly1452
    carly1452
    Community Member

I understand the reason for not being able to see the letters as I change my Master Password. I am uneasy about typing in a random 7 or 8 word Diceware passphrase without being able to verify that it’s correct visually before saving it and hence locked out forever from my data. I assume I will be asked to enter the Master Password again after the initial entry. As a work around, can I copy and paste the Master Password into the field? If not, why not.

• You can copy & paste, yes.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.