To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Primary Vault not showing on new install or 1password.com

NellieO
NellieO
Community Member

I have two vaults, PRIMARY and PRIVATE. The PRIMARY vault is what I install on all computers I own (2 Mac Minis and 1 Macbook). The PRIVATE vault I only want on one of my computers (the Macbook).

All was well until I had to reinstall to one of the Mac Minis. On reinstall, I only have the PRIVATE vault. I went to the website and logging into that, I also have access to only the PRIVATE vault. Checking PREFERENCES in the 1PASSWORD app on system that does show both vaults, in the ALL VAULTS, I do show both vaults here still. They are listed as PRIMARY without anything under it and DIANNA with PRIVATE listed under it. On the ACCOUNTS page, only DIANNA is listed. I got the secret key from this same page and logged in online through 1Password.com, again, only the PRIVATE vault is available.

It is as though the PRIMARY vault (which was the first one created) has become a local account on this computer. Is that possible? And, in any case, is there a way to make the PRIMARY vault the main vault again, accessible both online and on all devices?

1Password Version: Mac App Store 6.8.8 (688001)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS High Sierra 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2018

Hi @NellieO

The “Primary” vault is a standalone vault. It is not and cannot be a part of your 1Password membership account. You’d have to swap your usage of these around to achieve what you’re describing: “Primary” would only be on the MacBook, and “Private” would be on all devices you are signed into your account with.

If you do not currently have a Primary vault on the MacBook and would like one open 1Password > Preferences > Advanced and check the box to allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts within 1Password for Mac on that device.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• NellieO
    NellieO
    Community Member

@Ben ,

Thanks much for the information! It is making more sense now. I see where my path is headed and hoping for a jumpstart in getting there. Is there by chance a simple way to shift what is currently in my PRIMARY vault to the DIANNA or another new, shared vault?

Julie

• There is. :) Please check out this guide on moving items:

Move items between vaults

Please let us know how it turns out and if you have any further questions. :)

Ben

• NellieO
    NellieO
    Community Member

@Ben ,

Again, many thanks for the information. Will do!

Julie

• You’re very welcome! If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.