Change Date of items

Finke03
Finke03
Community Member

Hi,
I’m using 1PW on iOS and Windows (1PW 4).
Today I changed one entry on my Windows PC and synced it via WLAN Sync to my iPhone. The sync log shows that 5 objects have been synced. 5? I double checked my entries and recognized that the change date of some logins has been changed to a newer date. But I didn’t touch these entries and there are no visible changes to me.
Can you explain how this can be? Is this a bug? The change date of one affected entry was yesterday morning. At this time the Windows client was off, only the iOS device has been used during this time.

Regards
Finke

Comments

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

I was able to reproduce this behaviour.

1. open 1PW with Touch ID.
    2. open one entry on the iOS Device
    3. Minimize 1PW via pressing the home button.
    4. Restart the iOS device.
    5. open 1PW
    6. 1PW will ask for the Master Password instead of Touch ID (master password required after restart configured)
    7. Enter the master password
    8. Open the entry which you opened before (from step 2)
    9. Change date of this entry has been changed to the value of the time where I unlocked 1PW with master password.

Can someone else confirm this bug in the iOS app?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Finke03: I don't understand what this is:

Change date of this entry has been changed to the value of the time where I unlocked 1PW with master password.

Is this a message you're seeing somewhere? It sounds like your'e saying 1Password is syncing. Can you elaborate on what you're having trouble with?

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member

Hi brenty,

sorry for confusion.
    If you open e.g. a login item on the iOS device and scroll down to the end of the entry you will see two time stamps.
    The first time stamp shows when you did create this login. The second time stamp shows the date and time, when the login item was changed e.g. if you change the password.

And there is the problem/bug. The second time stamp will change although there are no changes on the item itself.
    You can reproduce it with the steps from my second post.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

@Finke03: If it was sync'd from another device, it should have an updated time stamp. It sounds like the problem is that your devices are confused about what's current and what isn't — perhaps due to a date/time/zone discrepancy. Before we go further, where did this vault originate?

Edit: Also, no, I can't reproduce this. It's something specific to your setup.

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,
    I think it has nothing todo with syncing.
    My vault is located locally on my Windows client and synced via WLAN with 1PW 4 to my iOS device.
    The problem occurs without syncing before, too.

You have an independent login item on your iOS device and perform the steps from my earlier post and the time stamp will change.
    A side effect is, that these items will be synced to my Windows client with the next performed sync as well, because from technical perspective the item did changed (only the time stamp).

Can you please try to reproduce that on one of your devices which uses local vaults? I was able to reproduce on two independent devices.

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Hi Brenty,

Edit: Also, no, I can't reproduce this. It's something specific to your setup.

My setup is nothing special, no Dropbox or other stuff. I reproduced it on 2 separate devices.
    If you minimize the App while the detail view of a login is open and perform restart of the device (require master password after restart enabled), the time stamp of the item changes.
    How can we proceed to solve this kind of issue?
    What do you think can be wrong in my setup?

Maybe someone else from this forum can try to reproduce it?

Edit: I reproduced it on a third iOS device. I installed a fresh 1PW as standalone on this third device (without sync or sth. else) and created a local vault. I added one item and were able to reproduce it. So it’s definitely a bug in the iOS App and not in my setup.

Regards
    Finke

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member

Hi Brenty / Agilebits Team,

I still got no response from you which confirms this bug and that it will fixed with one of the next iOS updates. :(
    Can you please provide me a response?
    As already mentioned, it can be reproduced with a clean installed 1PW iOS App without syncing.

Otherwise it would be very disappointing to me and not increase my confidence to the support and the product. Sorry for that and my feelings.

Regards
    Finke

• Hi @Finke03,

Thank you for taking the time to report this problem. I’ve filed a report with our development team to investigate further. They are essentially “heads down” focused on building 1Password 7 for Mac at this point but I’m sure they’ll take a look as soon as time allows. If we need further information to track this down we’ll be in touch via this thread.

Thanks!

Ben

ref: apple-1012

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member

Great news. Thanks a lot Ben. 👍

• You’re very welcome. If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• Saphired
    Saphired
    Community Member

Hi,
    I have exactly the same issue and it can be a problem in software like this that depends highly on its security model. Having a change date on items change although no actual changes happened is highly misleading and can confuse users. One might think that an attacker got access or else. You can watch this phenomenon when using 1Password e.g. on Mac and from day to day go to your "All items" sorted by last change. This list will put items to the top although you did not change them recently.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2018

We do have an issue filed for this and I’m hopeful that we’ll be able to get it fixed up in the near future.

Ben

ref: apple-266

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member

Hello,
    can you please provide me the status? Will this issue be fixed with the next App Update of the iOS App? The App hasn‘t been updated since 3 months.....and for me it‘s a very frustrating bug.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Nothing new to share at this time, but it's on our todo list. It will definitely be in the release notes when a fix is available.

• leesnett
    leesnett
    Community Member

I have commented on this elsewhere but I'll add it here. The problem is very simple. The modified date is being updated to the current date and time for the last entry viewed prior to exiting the application. No updating or syncing involved. This is occurring on ios devices. (iphone 8 (ios 11.4, 1PW 7.0.6), ipad mini 4, same vers. as iPhone)

• Thanks for the report @leesnett. Our development team is aware of the difficulty and is researching the issue.

Ben

• leesnett
    leesnett
    Community Member

Can you please comment on the impact of these erroneously updated last modify dates on WLAN sync? It seems to me that doing a sync with this problem present could potentially result in lost or confusing information.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@leesnett: The only two effects it will have are the following:

1. Your items will appear to have been modified even if they were just accessed. Given that, even when these items sync again, they'll just be overwriting the same data that you already have. No problem.
    2. With the modified dates updated for accessed items, sorting them by modified date will reflect this and not their actual modified date. Potentially a problem, if you're trying to find something based on that.

I hope that's a bit clearer, but I'm sorry for the confusion surrounding this, and any inconvenience it causes you or others. If you have any other questions, please let me know!

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member

With the today’s 1PW iOS update the situation is still unchanged and the bug has not been fixed.
    Do users need to wait some more months until this bug will be fixed?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Finke03: It will take as long as it takes. We have no way of giving you a date for a fix that has not been made for an issue that is under investigation. Today's update was primarily to address a search issue that was affecting many more people for much longer. Once we're able to find a solution to the issue you're having — dates being updated for viewed items — we will test and release it. Thanks for your patience in the mean time.

• kf0s
    kf0s
    Community Member

Any news on the fix for this problem. I see the same thing when using 1Password families using the normal vault (not Dropbox or anything like that). If I open an item on my iPhone and later look at my items on my Mac (sorted by modified date), I see those entries moved to the top of the list. I did not notify them at all on the iPhone, just looked at them.

Thanks.

• Hi @kf0s

Unfortunately I don’t have further information to share at this point, other than to say that I’ve reminded development this issue still exists.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.