Is 'name' field unique while accessing a particular item from CLI? I don't think so

sandeepmachiraju
sandeepmachiraju
Community Member

While accessing an item from 1password vaults using the CLI, You mentioned in the document that we can use wither UUID or Name. As such the name is not unique while creation of items in the vault. How can we use that to fetch the individual record?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• sandeepmachiraju
    sandeepmachiraju
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

We need to get the UUID using the name(title) and use that UUID to get the specific document. If this is the case, then in the documentation please mention that name(title) is not unique.

Please let me know if this is correct

• Hi @sandeepmachiraju,

The name field is not unique, no. If you attempt op get item $name and it matches multiple items it will error out and give you some options. To be guaranteed to fetch a unique item and not error out you'll want to get its UUID (you can use op list items to help find it), but you'll also want to make sure you use the --vault=$vaultUUID parameter. The UUID of an item is only guaranteed to be unique within a certain vault. If you aren't scoping to a specific vault then you could theoretically hit duplicates across multiple vaults.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• sandeepmachiraju
    sandeepmachiraju
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Cool Thanks. Then could you please mention that in the documentation. Please check the attached file.

• We'll try to make that more clear in the documentation.

Thanks

Rick

This discussion has been closed.