Why can't I log in to 1password for families on my work computer

Options
mattman
mattman
Community Member

When I try to log in to my 1password for families account on my work computer I get a result that says it timed out back immediately. This has always worked before, but in the last month it has stopped working. I'm using Chrome 65.0.3325.162 (64 bit) for windows 7. Last time I tried at home it works. I suppose it could be something to do with the work network, but almost everything else works from here.

Any help is appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mattman,

Have you spoken to your IT department about the issue? It may be the case that they are blocking access, either intentionally or unintentionally.

Ben

• mattman
    mattman
    Community Member
    Options

Ben-

It's certainly possible. Unfortunately, working for a large multinational leads to not really having the ability to check with the IT department about network security settings.

Since I can log in at home and have my iPhone with me at work it's not the end of the world. I was just hoping there was something I could learn through this venue.

Matt

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2018
    Options

It's certainly possible. Unfortunately, working for a large multinational leads to not really having the ability to check with the IT department about network security settings.

Gotcha.

Since I can log in at home and have my iPhone with me at work it's not the end of the world. I was just hoping there was something I could learn through this venue.

Do you have access to the command line on your work computer? You can check under Start > Run > Type cmd (press enter). If you do we can do some basic connectivity tests. It may be best to take this offline though, as the information needed to troubleshoot this could be considered proprietary. If you are able to open the command prompt could you please shoot us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/89494/) as well as your forum username (mattman). You’ll get an email back from BitBot with a support ID. Please post that ID here.

Thanks!

Ben

• mattman
    mattman
    Community Member
    Options

Ben-

Thanks! I'll be at the office in the morning and I'll try to send the email before I head in to the office. I do have command line access, so we'll see what we can look at.

Thanks again.

• mattman
    mattman
    Community Member
    Options

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mattman: Chrome 65 is old, and others have reported similar issues there, so updating wouldn't be a bad place to start. But yeah, if you're getting that error in the app too, this is using Apple's web frameworks (not Google's) so it seems clear that it's something with either your system as a whole or your connection. If a secure connection cannot be established, 1Password.com will reject it. That's not something we're going to be lenient about. If you're not aware of settings or software on your machine that would be interfering with that, please check with the responsible parties at your company.

• mattman
    mattman
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty-

Thank you! I'll try that first thing when I get in today. Our administrative settings won't let Chrome update so I'll install the latest version if I can. I'm sure it's something that is done on the network.

Matt

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mattman - obviously, we can't say for certain from this end, but that certainly sounds likely, yeah. Often there are corporate policies which require a MiTM for all traffic into and out of their own network, and this would be a blocker for 1password.com -- for your protection. As brenty mentioned previously, it's not something we're going to be adding a preference to turn off, either. I wish I had a better answer for you, but if that turns out to be the case, it's going to have to be something you take up with your IT department.

• mattman
    mattman
    Community Member
    Options

I upgraded to a newer version of Chrome and get the same result. Here’s the support ticket

NKP-83131-588

I realize it’s probably an internal issue with my employer, but knowing that for sure will help. Thanks for all of your efforts so far.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@mattman I can’t have 1Password on my computer. I use Chrome at work, so I’m able to use 1Password X with it. Since you’re using Chrome, might be a way to get 1Password on your work computer.

https://blog.agilebits.com/2017/11/13/1password-x-a-look-at-the-future-of-1password-in-the-browser/

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@prime - it's a good thought, but if the problem is creating a secure connection - and that doesn't even work in the browser - then I doubt 1Password X will be of much use. The problem here isn't that @mattman can't install 1Password (unless I missed something), it's that every attempt to connect fails.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@prime: I had the same thought as Lars before reading his post, but I'm glad you brought it up because it's certainly worth a try.

@mattman: I think there is a chance that 1Password X may actually work if connections originating from the browser are always being allowed. I can't promise that of course not knowing exactly what they're blocking, but it doesn't hurt to try it. :)

This discussion has been closed.