Difficult Issues with 1Password downgrade

Options

I went back to Firefox 48. The extension doesn't work in it, won't load. So, I installed 1Passwotrd 4, replacing 1password6, on the Mac. Now 4 is asking for the data file. Only data files I see are 1p4_zip files in ~/Library/Application Support>1Password 4>Data

1Password 4 doesn't recognize the file type, and no app on the Mac on the Mac will open such an obviously proprietary (ie, "made up" file type). So, what next? I can't get past the 1Password welcome splash screen, so no way to load up the wlan server and simply sync a new data file from my still-updated/current 1Password app on the iPhone. Any ideas out there? Thanks

Comments

• BrianStegner2
    BrianStegner2
    Community Member
    Options

oops, the backups are in "Backups" not "Data."

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BrianStegner2: That's correct, but I am curious what you're trying to accomplish. Downgrading is generally a bad idea. Let me know if there's anything I can help with. :)

• BrianStegner2
    BrianStegner2
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Well, I had my own reasons for downgrading Firefox to v 48. And the 1Password addon would not load for that version of Firefox. All the downloads were accompanied by alerts saying that the 1Password file was incomplete or corrupted and would not be installed. I gave up and loaded 1passwrod 6, and v 53.0.3 (64-bit) of Firefox, and the 1Password addon works. (And the data file was successfully loaded from backups). So problem avoided, though not solved in the true sense...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BrianStegner2: Indeed, we moved to WebExtensions in Firefox last year since that's all Mozilla is allowing going forward, and that requires Firefox 50 or higher I believe; they won't work in versions of Firefox that don't have WebExtensions support. I'm glad that using a newer version helped. I disagree completely that using a new browser version isn't a solution; since we're all ostensibly using 1Password to stay more secure, it's counterproductive to that to use an outdated OS or browser with known vulnerabilities that have already been fixed in newer versions. While we don't officially support Firefox's ESR channel, we do make an effort not to break compatibility with it if at all possible, so that may be the next-best-thing to using the current release. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.