1password issues

Platforms: 1p v6 account; Parallels 13, Windows April Update (may not be related), Mac High Sierra 10.13.4

When I restart windows, my 1password tries to start, even though I set my options says not to.

when checking windows settings to see if the app was being started that way, I discovered I have two 1passwords installed: my normal version 6 AND version 7.0.533.0.

I have no idea where the v7 came from.....although after I updated windows to the April release, I was prompted to reinstall 1P to the latest version, which I did thinking it was the extension for Edge (per other forum discussions).

So... why does my 1p try to start when I start windows, and is V7 the beta and how did I get it?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rlgleason51,

Thank you for reaching out!

You are correct: 1Password 7 for Windows is still in beta. I am not sure how it got installed on your PC, but if you are using 1Password 6, you can uninstall it for the time being. If you are using 1Password account, the upgrade 1Password 7 for Windows is already included in your subscription. We are working really hard to release it.

As for the questions at hand, please open and unlock 1Password 6 for Windows and go to Settings > General. See if you have "Start 1Password automatically when I sign in to Windows" option enabled. Try to disable it and let me know if it helps. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

Thanks Greg. I will delete v7., which was empty anyway.

I already had the box unchecked and startup disabled. First thing I checked.

• @rlgleason51: The April Update for Windows introduced some trouble specifically for folks using the Microsoft Edge extension. Windows is launching Edge in suspended mode at startup as part of that update. Suspended Edge then launches the helper processes 1Password uses to communicate with Edge, which I'd wager are then launching 1Password 6 itself, making it appear as though 1Password is opening at startup despite you having this option disabled. Technically, this is proper behavior on 1Password's part. We want these helper processes to launch the main app because otherwise you'd not be able to save and fill in your browser, but it does kind of render that checkbox meaningless when using the Edge extension. To double-check, you can disable the extension in Edge, reboot, and see if 1Password launches.

If I'm right, I'm afraid we wouldn't have any great advice here other than switching to Chrome or Firefox until we're able to resolve this issue. You can learn more about how this affects 1Password in Edge here.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

Thanks.

• :chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.