Safari Extension Problem with 1Password 7 beta for Mac

jdmass
jdmass
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I recently upgraded from 1PW 6 to 7 beta-9 and can't get the Safari Extension to function properly. It appears to be installed - I have the 1PW icon in the toolbar and the dropdown functions properly (I can launch a web page and have info filled). However, the 1PW submenu does not show up when I two-finger click on a field to file it in a form.

I'm running MacOS 10.3.4 and have completely uninstalled 1PW 6.
What can I do to get this working properly.
Thanks.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-9 (70000009)
Extension Version: 1Password7.0.BETA-9
OS Version: MacOS 10.3.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jdmass

...the 1PW submenu does not show up when I two-finger click on a field to file it in a form.

If you're looking for the contextual menu item, this functionality has been removed in 1Password 7 for Mac. You can achieve the same (or faster) functionality by using the keyboard shortcuts. Give that a try and let us know if it works for you.

• jdmass
    jdmass
    Community Member

Unfortunately Command-\ to autofill doesn't seem to work either. No response. (Option-Command-\ does work to bring up 1PW mini, but that's not what I need).

• jdmass
    jdmass
    Community Member

Correction - it seems to work intermittently. It was not responding so I restarted the browser to try again, and it worked for a while then stopped. Refreshing the webpage helps.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jdmass - if you're already on the website in question, ⌘\ should certainly work for you. Is that what you're saying does NOT work? If that's the case, I'd recommend making sure you've installed the extension properly, and uninstalled the previous one. This should've been taken care of automatically for you by the 1Password 7 for Mac beta installer, but doesn't take into account anything you might've done on your own since then. Can you tell me the steps you're taking under which ⌘\ isn't working, as well as what you see in terms of 1Password in Safari's Preferences > Extensions? Thanks. :)

• jdmass
    jdmass
    Community Member

That's correct - sometimes I'm on a web page and the keyboard command does not work. I have completely uninstalled 1PW 6. The only Safari extension is 1Password7.0.BETA-9. I have uninstalled and re-installed 1PW 7.

As I said the problem is intermittent. I can reproduce it as follows:
    1. Go to website
    2. Click in login field. Type ⌘\, popup appears.
    3. Click in password field. Type ⌘\, popup appears.
    4. Click in login field. Type ⌘\, popup does NOT appear.
    5. Click in password field. Type ⌘\, popup does NOT appear.
    6. Repeat steps 4 and 5. Popup does not appear.
    7. Wait about 10 seconds. (no page refresh, just waiting).
    8. Click in login field. Type ⌘\, popup appears.
    9. Click in password field. Type ⌘\, popup appears.
    10. After a few reiterations, the problem repeats itself. Then waiting seems to fix it.

Some from a user perspective it appears that ⌘\, somewhat randomly does not work.
    BTW, I did like the contextual menu. It's a shame that it was removed.

• jdmass
    jdmass
    Community Member

One more interesting (hopefully useful) bit of information: The problem seems to be related to having multiple Vaults. I currently have 4 vaults and had All Vaults selected. I just tried selecting a single vault, and ⌘\ seems to work properly. When I go back to all vaults, the problem returns.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jdmass - OK, thanks for reporting. That's actually quite helpful. I'll pass this along to our development team; they should be in touch if they need further clarification or info from you. In the meantime, you might want to be aware of this issue in Safari specifically, which we're already aware of. Thanks!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I would like to report that I'm seeing a similar, if not the same, issue. The filling on a page seems to fail randomly. Also, I only have a single vault in 1Password.

I'm on macOS 10.3.4, Safari 11.1 and 1Password 7 beta 9.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Xe997 - thanks for reporting, and sorry for the inconvenience. We're aware of the issue and working towards a solution. Keep an eye on updates.

• RA Johnson
    RA Johnson
    Community Member

I am having the problem on my iMac that 1Password 7 sometimes will not open either in Safari or from the menu bar. I Safari I have to quit the app and restart Safari in order to get 1Password to open. I don't have the problem on the MacBook Pro with the the fingerprint touch bar.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@RA Johnson: Indeed, I'm sorry for the inconvenience. We're working to make the new Safari app extension less brittle. Thank you for participating in the beta!

• dvcrn
    dvcrn
    Community Member

I want to report in that I'm having the same issue here. Sometimes it works, sometimes it down't.
    When it doesn't, re-enabling the extension or restarting Safari seems to fix it, sometimes.

When it stops working, CMD-option-\ is also not working (I'm guessing it interacts with the Safari extension to get the current page).

The workaround in the post linked above is not solving the issue for me sadly

• ejr
    ejr
    Community Member

add me to the list since "Open and Fill" does not work nor the workaround of using CMD+\

• jeffbyrnes
    jeffbyrnes
    Community Member

I’ve a similar issue; the ⌘-\ opens the panel, but it has no idea what page I’m on, and thus doesn’t suggest any entries. If I search manually, and choose one, the auto-fill doesn’t work. Really puts a crimp in my usage!

• Thanks for the feedback folks. We are aware of these issues and are working on an update. I’m not sure when exactly we’ll have the revamped extension available. In the mean time I’d have to suggest using an alternate browser to test 1Password 7, or reverting to 1Password 6 until the revamped extension is available.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.