To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I started with 1P version 5 and now have version 6. I admit to not paying attention to the synching

Options
josephpotts
josephpotts
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Memberships

The synching between my iMac (main computer) and two laptops and iPad and iPhone is not working. When I try to sign into my 1P account, it asks for my secret key. I then open 1P preferences and go to accounts and there is nothing entered there for me to copy my secret key.
I could use iCloud for synching, but I think using Dropbox is a legacy from the early days of using 1P

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Hi @josephpotts,

It sounds like you don't have a 1Password account. It's possible to use 1Password without an account, which is why the Accounts tab of Preferences doesn't have anything. Dropbox was the original way of syncing data with 1Password, and it still works. You can configure it by going into Preferences > Sync. iCloud is another option there.

The best way to use 1Password across multiple devices is via a 1Password account though. It's downright magical compared to the Dropbox/iCloud options. You can do things like create a new vault on one device (if you're like me, you like to keep things organized or keep rarely used items out of the way) and automatically that vault will show up on all devices. The whole experience of 1Password improved.

If you'd like to give a 1Password account a try we'd be happy to help you get setup with it.

Rick

• josephpotts
    josephpotts
    Community Member
    Options

How does that work? is that a monthly fee?

• 1Password accounts do have a monthly (or yearly fee) yes. For that fee you get all versions of 1Password for all platforms for free. You mentioned that you're using 1Password 6 right now. 1Password 7 is right around the corner and it's a paid upgrade for everyone that doesn't have a 1Password account.

To sign up for a 1Password account, you would go to https://1password.com/sign-up/ and choose the account type that's right for you. I love 1Password Families, myself. It makes sharing things like the netflix password with my wife so easy. My favorite feature of 1Password Families is the fact that if I or my wife forgets their Master Password the other person can help recover the account so that you don't lose any information at all. That's some really serious peace of mind for me.

Once you have an account you add it to one of the apps (typically 1Password for Mac) and it'll help you migrate your data into the account and remove the old vault. Then you just need to add the account to the other devices you have and you're all set. We have a guide to help move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.