Missing visual "working" indication after submitting the main passphrase

finwe
finwe
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'd be happy to be informed somehow that the app is decrypting my vault when I submit the password, either in the mini app from the browser, or the fullsize app.

Currently, action is not hinted in any way and the first action seen is the movement of the lock icon (which turns red on unsucccessful attempt and turns and opens on successful password entry). It can take a few seconds up to this animation and not being notified that the app is actually working is a bit frustrating.

Are you planning to add such indication in the future version?

1Password Version: 7.0.540
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @finwe,

Thanks for reporting this.

At the moment, we have no plans to add this indicator. The app is coded in such a way that it will never take more than 2 seconds max to unlock or if it does, it'll run an auto-calibration to improve the performance for you or to evolve its encryption to be stronger; like when you move the local database to a new computer that's faster than the current one.

We need to improve the animation to match the speed of the decryption process, right now it does not.

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

are you really trying to indicate that it is a problem to display a simple animation between "submit" and "success"/"failure" events? Independently on the algorithm an the speed? Yes, I do not know anything about the app architecture, but I have trouble believing that anyway.

• MikeT
    edited May 2018

Hi @finwe,

Most likely I misunderstood what you meant by a indicator.

The problem is that we have a static animation that only runs at the end when we know it is good or bad password, it is not currently coded to start as soon as you press the enter key. We do not plan to add a different indicator but to fix the animation to start at the beginning, so that it starts turning slowly until it unlocks or fails (turn red).

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

Oh, cool! Looking forward to it, then. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

Hi, any update to this? Lately, with newer versions, it seems to me there is sometimes no visual hint about working at all (mainly when I enter a password after entering it incorrectly - the lock is already red). It puzzles me as a user, not knowing if the program is doing something or is just stuck.

• Hi @finwe,

Nothing new to share at the moment, we're currently focusing on fixing the performance regressions caused by adding all of the recent new features and so fixes like this animation one are on the hold until we can get 1Password back on the normal side.

This discussion has been closed.