To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Different Master Passwords

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Problem with master password.

Comments

• wschaeffer
    wschaeffer
    Community Member
    Options

Ben, are you saying there is no way to recover a master password? Why is there a login password for the app and a different for the master? I have my email and Secret Key. How can I get in to my account?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ben, are you saying there is no way to recover a master password?

@wschaeffer: Correct. It isn't stored anywhere other than your brain unless you write it down and keep it in a safe deposit box or something.

Why is there a login password for the app and a different for the master?

There is no login for the app. 1Password unlocks using the Master Password you chose for the first vault/account you've setup in the app.

I have my email and Secret Key. How can I get in to my account?

You will need your Master Password. AgileBits has neither access to your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly. Please let me know how it turns out.

• wschaeffer
    wschaeffer
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty, I'm still confused. I am prompted on my iPhone for a "Master Password" to login to my app and that works fine and has worked for years. Why is the online Master Password different than how I login to my iPhone app?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

@wschaeffer: Because you set a different Master Password there. That isn't something 1Password does for you; it would be whatever you gave it at the time of account creation.

• wschaeffer
    wschaeffer
    Community Member
    Options

Brently, can AgileBits change the friggin' name then because it's confusing to have multiple things called "Master Password".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wschaeffer: We always recommend the you use one long, strong, unique Master Password. When you setup your account, and were asked to choose one, it explicitly suggests using the one you already have been if you're an existing 1Password user. We can't reasonably or technically enforce that. I think that's important so you can decide how to protect your own data. But the flipside of that is that you need to know what it is. There just isn't any way around that. :(

• wschaeffer
    wschaeffer
    Community Member
    Options

Brently, After hours on this I found the "Master Password" for the software and it is different from the "Master Password" for my iPhone login which is crazy. There can only be ONE "Master Password," hence the name, "Master Password." The fact your software allows you to have multiple "Master Passwords" boggles my mind. Why do you allow it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wschaeffer: That's the choice you made. 1Password did not assign you a Master Password. As I said,

We can't reasonably or technically enforce that [you only ever use the same Master Password everywhere].

It's just not possible. And it would be creepy if we tried. When you setup a new device or account, and you tell 1Password to use a different Master Password, it has no way of knowing this is different that another Master Password you have used elsewhere.

You can go on the website and sign up for 10 different accounts. All of these are separate. You can use a different Master Password for each, in spite of the account signup page telling you to use the same one.

Conversely, if you believe strongly that you should have the same Master Password everywhere (as we do!), you're free to do that. I'm sorry if that's confusing, but 1Password can't — and shouldn't — make these decisions for users.

• wschaeffer
    wschaeffer
    Community Member
    Options

Brently,

Why is this so difficult?

Synonyms for the word Master include premier, primary, top, preeminent, main, first, foremost, head, highest, ergo my belief that "Master Password" meant "Master Password" everywhere within your platform.

When I login via my iPhone to your software with a "Master Password" and it gets me into my account...why is the online "Master Password" different?

Can you see the confusion?

I'm logged in to your software from my iPhone with my MASTER PASSWORD but then I CANNOT login online with my MASTER PASSWORD. WTF?

Maybe you can give some feedback to your developers (it feels like you might be one, hence the defensiveness) from your paying customers and maybe change the titles to "Mobile Password" for the smartphone and "Master Password" for the app and/or website portal so ignorant peons such as myself don't sully your monitor with such imbecilic queries.

Or, when the MASTER PASSWORD is changed ANYWHERE, make the change apply EVERYWHERE.

Is these such radical ideas?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Can you see the confusion?

@wschaeffer: Yes. You chose to setup different Master Passwords in different places. :(

Or, when the MASTER PASSWORD is changed ANYWHERE, make the change apply EVERYWHERE.

If you use only your (single) 1Password.com account across all of your devices and then change your Master Password in your account that will also change it across all of your devices.

What you're asking for is achievable. I'd like to help you get there. Can you tell me,

1. Do you have a Primary (local) vault setup on some of your devices?
    2. Or do you have more than one 1Password.com account?
    3. Do you have all of your 1Password data accessible to you on one of your devices?
    4. If so, where — what are the OS and 1Password versions there?
  • wschaeffer
    wschaeffer
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty
    1. I have a Primary, Personal, and Shared on my iPhone
    2. I have a single 1Password.com account.
    3. I have all data accessible on both my iPhone and my iMac.
    4. 7.0.6 is running on my iPhone and 6.8.8 on my iMac.
    5. Now everything is duplicated on my iMac.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options
    1. I have a Primary, Personal, and Shared on my iPhone

@wschaeffer: Thanks for checking. A Primary vault is stored only locally on your device, so it isn't connected to your account in any way. That's why you can have a different Master Password for that.

1. I have a single 1Password.com account.
    2. I have all data accessible on both my iPhone and my iMac.
    3. 7.0.6 is running on my iPhone and 6.8.8 on my iMac.

Thanks for confirming.

1. Now everything is duplicated on my iMac.

What did you do?

The solution is to save your data and configure 1Password with the same setup on all of your devices. Ideally that would be only your 1Password.com account, but it sounds like maybe you're not able to sign into that. Just to clarify:

a. Are you able to sign into your account and view all of your data at https://start.1password.com/vaults/all ?

Keep in mind that you'll need to use whatever Master Password you setup for your account, which may be different from the one you setup for the local vault on your iPhone. The tips here may help: https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

If you are able to sign in and access all of your data through the website and you have all of your account credentials, you can reset the app on all of your devices and then set them up with only your account so they'll all have the same data and Master Password.

b. Otherwise, switch to the Primary vault on your iPhone. Do you have all of your data there? If you cannot access your account, we'll need to ensure you data is saved somewhere else before setting up a new account.

Let me know and we'll go from there.

This discussion has been closed.