To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Secret Key (?) - installing 1password on new PC (already have bundled single license)

Options
kjekor
kjekor
Community Member

Trying to install 1password on new PC (Win10).
Page pops up asking for Secret Key (which I do not have).

I bought 1password 2,5 years ago (Single license, bundled Mac/Windows) so I have already paid for it.
How can I proceed?

Help-page says to look on other device but I do not have a 1password-account.
I do use Dropbox-synch but that does not help me here I believe.

1Password Version: 6.8.534
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @kjekor

The issue here is that you have the wrong version of 1Password downloaded. Your license is for 1Password 4 for Windows. 1Password 6 only supports the use of 1Password memberships which, as a license user, you would not have. You have a few options here going forward,

1) Switch to a 1Password membership. This is your best option. Switching to a 1Password membership not only gives you access to all the 1Password apps across all platforms, but it includes the upgrade to 1Password 7 at no extra charge. This is particularly relevant if, given that you purchased both macOS and Windows licenses in the past, you use both platforms. 1Password licenses are sold on a per-platform basis so, if you use both platforms, you would have to buy two licenses, one for macOS and one for Windows. Buying both, full price licenses comes out to the same cost as approximately 4 years of membership, so it's well worth taking a look. There are also numerous other benefits to membership that you can take a look at over at https://support.1password.com/why-membership.

2) Give the 1Password 7 Beta a try. The pre-release version of 1Password 7 is available for people to try out if they wish and has full support for standalone vaults. You can get more information about that over in the beta section of the forum here. Note that, as mentioned before, 1Password 7 is a new version and will require the purchase of either a new license or a 1Password membership to continue to use it after the beta period.

3) Revert to 1Password 4. While 1Password 4 is rather old, it is the version you bought, so you are free to use it. It can be downloaded from here.

This discussion has been closed.