backup location change

ohreally
ohreally
Community Member
edited May 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

On the new 7 release, why has the file location for backups changed for folder sync?

Also, I do not see the option to add to Dropbox.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @ohreally: Backups settings are still being built in 1Password 7, so for the moment backups for your vault will go in the vault's location automatically – whether that's a local folder or on Dropbox. We'll be adding in some UI to control backup locations as well as other settings like how many backups are kept in a future update.

As for Dropbox, if you're looking to open an existing vault already on Dropbox, you can choose 1Password > Open vault on this PC and open it from your Dropbox folder. If you have vault presently syncing to a local folder and want to sync it to dropbox. Click All Vaults (or your vault name) in the top left, then hover over the vault you'd like on Dropbox. Click the ... and select Disable sync. Next (or if sync was already disabled), click ... again and select Enable sync. Pick a folder on Dropbox for your vault and you're set. :+1:

One gotcha for moving an existing vault to Dropbox in this manner is that you will be asked to pick a new vault password. This is a bit unintuitive coming from 1Password 4 and is a consequence of 1Password 7's new internal database. When you disable sync, your vault is re-encrpyted with the Master Password for the app (the password for the first account/vault you added) so you have the opportunity to give it a new one when you sync it. We want to design a new sync settings window that makes this process easier, both to do and to understand, but for now you can feel free to give it the same password as your app or a new one. Just make sure you remember it so you can get things set up on other devices. :chuffed:

• ohreally
    ohreally
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

glad to hear there will be some added controls in future release. And yeah the Dropbox sync is not as well controlled compared to 1PW 4 :(

Any word on WLAN coming back??

• @ohreally: MikeT (who is currently writing a response to your latest questions – we'll see who wins at typing :wink:) Kindly corrected me as I apparently missed a change amidst the hullabaloo. Backups are actually kept in %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\backups now and you can open that folder by clicking the Show Files button in Settings > Backups to see all of them. My apologies! Just goes to show that there's enough going on even we can miss out on a thing or two. :blush:

• Hi @ohreally,

We'll definitely continue to polish the experience in future updates coming soon.

Any word on WLAN coming back??

Have you signed up to our WLAN sync newsletter? If not, please read this: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/87524/on-wlan-sync-in-1password-7/p1

• ohreally
    ohreally
    Community Member

@MikeT I have :)

• Great. There's not much else we can share at the moment beside the newsletter, we will send an update as soon as we have them.

• archymcn
    archymcn
    Community Member

Is there any thought of letting the user specify which folder they wish to use for backup?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @archymcn,

It is on our list. We have plans to improve the UI to control backup locations and other settings (the number of backups kept, etc). I do not have any exact ETA, though.

Let me know if you have other questions. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• res1492
    res1492
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Hello, just hijacking this thread...is there a way to manually create a backup from within the app like with 4?
    Or...is it there and im just blind?

• Not yet, @res1492. 1Password 7 will automatically create a backup the first time you make a change each day, assuming folder sync is enabled. So, if you make a change right now and haven't made any earlier on, a backup is created that will include that change and any you made after you made your first change yesterday. Any further changes you make today will be captured by tomorrow's backup. Manual backups are coming and will be available in a future update. :+1:

• res1492
    res1492
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Ahh ok that's cool...wasn't sure if it backed up daily...a little note telling us that the vault does indeed backup daily somewhere in the "Backup" settings section might be helpful.

"Standalone vaults are automatically backed up once every 24 hours but only if folder sync in enabled"

Thanks

PS...bundtkate
    I may have...no, i have come off as being a bit of a dick in my other posts...im just really into your program...i have been here since version 1 because it makes life so easy and to have the features taken away frustrated me...Sorry about that....im a nice guy really!!

• We acutally do a have a little note on the backups page in settings, @res1492, but it sounds like you found that. Or you're psychic and quoted it near perfectly without finding it. Great minds, maybe? :wink:

As for believing you sound dickish, don't you even worry your pretty little head about it (that's meant to be genuine – not sarcastic –promise). It took me some time when I started in support to understand that sometimes frustration equates passion, but as I mentioned in my (rather lengthy, sorry in advance) reply to you in another thread, I have learned that's often the case. Heck, I see it in myself too. There's a little Mac app I hardly even use because I mostly work on Windows, but I love that darned thing and I think I've e-mailed the poor solo developer of that thing with little bits of grump more often than I can count. It's not that his app is bad (I mean it when I say I adore it), but I love it so much that when something goes wrong it just ruins my whole darned day. In a way, that's a compliment and I certainly make every effort personally to recognize it as such.

On a similar note, I hope my teammates and I never come across to you as too defensive. We can get that way at times, because 1Password is our baby, but we do totally recognize that y'all complain because you want to help make 1Password better. We do to and we're happy to listen, even when maybe we don't quite get that message across the way we'd like.

Sending you digital hugs from South Texas. We're 💯cool, dude. :chuffed:

• res1492
    res1492
    Community Member

Hey thanks...yeah i found the "note" but it didn't say anything about daily backups so i ...ahem..rewrote it....i suppose you could read "Up to 30 daily and 24 monthly files are kept" as meaning that the app does create daily backups but it didn't sink in at the time....worst case is you wait 1 day and come back to see another back has been created and then it sinks in....Thanks for the Hugs, respect!!!

res1492

• A fair criticism, @res1492. I mean, it's on the backups page, so I hope it's relatively clear what files means, but you're right. There's no reason not to change that to be clearer. I'll raise an issue. Should be a simple enough little tweak. Thanks again for the feedback and keep it coming. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.