Lost 1Password 2FA

Options
AsinineMonkey
AsinineMonkey
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Families

I've had no reply to my support email after 4 days so I'm asking the same question here as a warning to anyone else that might experience this issue.

I've been a long time 1Password user and having just upgraded to 1Password 7, as well as adding a new family member to our family account, noticed that 2FA was available for my 1Password login. I decided to set this up and used Authy to store the 1Password OTP secret.

This is where my problems started. Authy, for whatever reason, crashed shortly after I setup 2FA. Relaunching Authy I could no longer see the 1Password OTP entry listed. Annoyed I checked to see if Authy backups were still enabled, they were, but upon trying a restore it seems Authy didn't have enough time to catch the 1Password OTP secret I just entered in its most recent backup.

As a result I'm now stuck with only my macOS client being fully accessible (I can even access all of the billing and subscription details as expected) but locked out of my account both online and on my iOS device as both are asking for the required 1Password OTP I no longer have access to. :|

Having read recent discussions it appears I should have stored this secret safely for exactly this scenario. Something that wasn't made clear when I setup 2FA in the first place (already pointed out by other users and poor form on behalf of AgileBits).

So what do I do now? I'm the only organiser of my family account. Does that mean I am now locked out of this family account unable to disable or reset my 2FA access? Why isn't there some form of 2FA backup/reset option enabled on clients that do still have access (with email validation if necessary)? I don't have any "trusted browsers" to log back in online as I intentionally keep such browser trusts to a bare minimum let alone non-existent.

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi @AsinineMonkey

I apologize for the delay. I’ve moved your email inquiry over to the right spot so it gets the appropriate eyes on it sooner. Unfortunately the way our email system works is primarily on a first come, first served basis. That is fine, except that when you reply on the same email thread it bumps you back to the beginning of the queue — seeing that as a new message. As such your ticket only appears 2 days old even though you originally wrote in 4 days ago. I’ll let the appropriate folks know, and hopefully they’ll be in touch soon. We’ve been flooded with requests since the launch of 1Password 7 for Mac, but we’re working through getting replies out to everyone as quickly as possible.

Thanks.

Ben

ref: VJL-49242-753

• AsinineMonkey
    AsinineMonkey
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben. Someone from your team has been in touch and, after answering a variety of security questions, I've been told 2FA will shortly be taken off my account.

It's good to know that the 2FA can be reset in such situations. Will have to store this more safely from now on. :)

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @AsinineMonkey

Ben

This discussion has been closed.