Sync not working

john_eaton
john_eaton
Community Member

I have been an Agilebits customer for many years and am very pleased with 1Password -- I have a Family membership (though I am the only user at the moment) -- I use it on a Mac, iPad Pro and iPhone. I've just noticed that sync isn't working -- the versions of my vault on my Mac and iPhone are the same (568 items), but don't have some recent additions (for 3 months?) -- the version on my iPhone is different and has duplicate entries for most items (1225 items). Neither of the vaults is correct and up-to-date -- my vault on 1password.com is CORRECT (657 items) -- how do I sync/copy from this vault to my other devices?? -- how do I ensure that the stay in sync in the future??

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @john_eaton

Without seeing more detailed information that you should not post on a public forum, my guess is that some of your devices have multiple vaults. On your devices (most likely the iPhone considering the duplicates) you have two main vaults, one called "Primary" and one called either "Private" or "Personal". Those vaults are two very separate entities.

The "Private" or "Personal" vault is the one from your Family membership. That is where you want your data to be. Things put in that vault should appear on all your devices.

The "Primary" vault is an old standalone vault. That vault is from before you switched to a 1Password membership. That vault is completely standalone. Anything put in that vault will not appear on your other devices.

What you want to do is using the process outlined at https://support.1password.com/move-share-items is to make sure all the items are in that "Personal"/"Private" vault.

• chipwarren
    chipwarren
    Community Member

Nice that you replied, but you guys could do a much better job with documentation when you're pushing a new model. I love 1Password, but this rollout has been a drag.

And FYI, your instructions are a little confusing. The fact that users unwittingly wind up with multiple vaults, alliteratively similar--Primary, Private, Personal--only add to the confusion. Does the process outlined in that link ensure that users don't wind up with a whole bunch of duplicates when migrating to the new system?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@chipwarren The process to initially move from standalone to membership is actually a completely different process. The documentation you are looking for is over at https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/.

• john_eaton
    john_eaton
    Community Member

Thanks Cory!! -- you were right, I still had the old Primary vault and at some point had got them confused -- anyway, now primary is deleted and Personal is correct on all devices!!

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Fantastic @john_eaton, great to hear it! Take care. :)

• chipwarren
    chipwarren
    Community Member

Thanks @Corey_C, I get that. I was just curious about whether merging vaults (I, too, now have multiple Personal and Private or Primary or whatever) and I'm not sure if I can just delete one of them, or if merging them will wind up duplicating all of my logins. Nowhere in the instructions is the question of duplicates mentioned (unless I missed it).

• chipwarren
    chipwarren
    Community Member

Incidentally, @Corey_C, that process did not work on my end. When I scanned the code, I got a message that said that the user already existed and that I should set up additional users through friends or teams (I can paste the exact message when I try again) but there are not friends, families, or teams, there's just me. Trying manually, I can the same message.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@chipwarren
    Ah, you've already added your account to the vault, I see. In that case, the vault you want to delete is the "Primary" vault. That is the superfluous one from before you switched over to a membership.

If you instead try and merge things and end up with duplicates, 1Password 7 now has a "Clean Up Duplicates" function in the Help>Tools menu.

• chipwarren
    chipwarren
    Community Member

Thanks @Corey_C!

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

My please @chipwarren happy to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.