1PW7 mini - request to hide username from "Suggested Items"

Options
btownguy
btownguy
Community Member

I may be mistaken, but I don't remember 1PW6 working this way. When I click 1PS7 mini on a website, at the top it autoselects a "Suggested Item". For the item, it shows the username. I didn't really think much of it until I was showing a co-worker something and logged in to a website and realized I just showed them my username. Not a big deal, but it might not be desired in some cases. Wondering if this was intentional and if there is any talk about maybe not exposing the username this way.

1Password Version: 7.0.2
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: OSX 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1Password.com Families

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@btownguy Unless I'm not understanding what you're referring to, that's the way it's always been. Here's the old mini, showing the username as well:

In addition to that, virtually all websites do not obfuscate (let alone encrypt) usernames, so if you're attempting to login to a site to show a coworker or someone else something on it, 1Password or no 1Password, you' be entering your username in plaintext.

My recommendation for you would be: if you're in an environment you consider so (potentially) hostile you don't want even the possibility of someone seeing your username for a given site, either don't login to those high-value/risk sites or don't use 1Password at all under such conditions. If it's temporary, like someone standing near your computer who might see, wait until they're not around to open the site, or turn your screen away. Or finally, use the keyboard shortcut ⌘\ (command + backslash) to fill in the details automatically for you without exposing 1Password at all.

This discussion has been closed.