Fuzzy search for Mac and iOS

baggend
baggend
Community Member

I've found a fair numbers of past references in the forums to fuzzy search in the 1P app, but as far as I can tell it's not actually there. While it would be great to have a really top-notch fuzzy search, just some basics (like matching with/without hyphens) would be a really great start.

The place I notice this almost daily is when I try to log into my T-Mobile account. The name is "T-Mobile" and the URL is "my.t-mobile.com". In pretty much every other app I can think of, just typing "tmob" would immediately match that login. But on both Mac and iOS that is definitely not the case. If I don't include that darned hyphen every time, it'll never find the login.

1Password Version: 6.8.3
Extension Version: 4.6.11
OS Version: 10.13 Beta (17A362a)
Sync Type: 1P Family

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@baggend: I think we may have different ideas of what "fuzzy search" means. 1Password already supports partial and multiple search terms, and returns results as expected. But since hyphens are used in URLs, I'm not sure we want to ignore those completely like you're suggesting. And it's a slippery slope from there to trying to account for typos. Rather than changing that for everyone, what if you add "tmob" to the item so it shows up in a search like you expect, even when not using the correct nomenclature? Does that help? I find it useful to add keywords that reflect the way my brain works. Makes it easier for Future Me to find stuff, just in general, not only in 1Password. :)

• baggend
    baggend
    Community Member

@brenty I can see respecting hyphens in the URL, but when it comes to the display name I think it's perfectly reasonable to skip them. Yes, https://tmobile.com and https://t-mobile.com are two different URLs, but when it comes to the display names I'd think it's reasonable to match T-Mobile even if I don't specify the hyphen. Or am I missing a potential negative consequence here?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@baggend - You're not necessarily missing a potential negative consequence, it's just not something we have available currently. We'll pass along your feedback of course, but for the present I'd agree with brenty that placing "tmob" in the item so it appears as you would prefer it to, is the best solution.

• atishay811
    atishay811
    Community Member

I really love the fuzzy search in sublime. I would to have the same in 1Password. For example if am to searching for "Gmail Work" in the password items, I should be able to type "gmw" or "gw" and "Gmail Work" should appear in the autocomplete list.

• Thanks for the feedback, @atishay811 :)

Ben

• vicjang
    vicjang
    Community Member

Hi there, somewhat on topic:

Recently on iOS, my search on iOS is working as if it only supports exact match. Skipping words would yield "Sorry, no results."
    Partial search used to be perfectly fine. Is this a known issue or did something change?

Thanks.

• Hi @vicjang,

There are currently a couple of bugs in 1Password for iOS that affect it’s ability to properly return search results. It sounds like you are bumping up against them. We’ve been pretty much heads down working on 1Password 7 for Mac the last couple months but we do hope to address these issues on iOS soon.

Thanks.

Ben

ref: apple-62

• vicjang
    vicjang
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben !
    Your response is quick and on point. This is why I love 1Password.
    I'll wait for future updates then.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@vicjang - sounds like a plan! Keep an eye on our release notes, and we'll hopefully have this addressed soon. Cheers (and thanks for the kind words about 1Password!) :)

This discussion has been closed.