Autofill problems [1Password supports open and fill, and filling on current web page - not autofill]

LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member
edited October 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

After over a decade using 1Password, and now with a Families subscription, I'm obviously a very loyal customer. But that said, more and more I'm finding that 1Password will not complete the Autofill process. First example is with the Apple Discussion Groups, where 1Password goes to the login page and enters my username in the authentication fields, but not my password. I click the login name again, this time from 1Password Safari extension and it then fills in my password (still not logging me in). I then have to take a third step of clicking the login name yet again in the 1Password Safari extension and finally it logs me in. This all used to work flawlessly for the Apple Discussion Groups and I'm not sure when it stopped.

Next example is with this very forum. For at least a year I've had the same password here and today I tried to login to post this question and was informed I was using an incorrect password (using Autofill from 1Password). I went through the password change process and that fixed it (but I actually used the very same password), and then using Autofill again to check it out, I was taken to the login page and my credentials were refilled, but I still had to click on the SUBMIT button, even though in 1Password this was already configured to "Submit when enabled".

Trying several logins (using Autofill) to test them, it seems less than 20% fully log me in without some kind of intervention, mostly having to do the same thing as with Apple Discussion Groups or this forum...clicking the login name once or twice in 1Password Safari extension to finally get logged in.

Also, each time I select Autofill for any site, 1Password opens a tab with Favorites in Safari and then opens a second tab for the site to which I'm going. Why does it need to open the first tab for Favorites, which I have to manually close?

Finally, back to the loyalty issue. I downloaded a trial version of Dashlane, which imported nearly 200 1Password logins flawlessly, and I tried about 15 of my logins with it. I had no issues at all, not even with the two specific sites I mentioned above. I am not saying that I want to change to Dashlane, but I think it proves a point that it's working with their version of Autofill and 1Password is having some serious issues.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.8.2 (682002) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.6.11
OS Version: 10.13
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Autofill problems

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

But that said, more and more I'm finding that 1Password will not complete the Autofill process. First example is with the Apple Discussion Groups, where 1Password goes to the login page and enters my username in the authentication fields, but not my password. I click the login name again, this time from 1Password Safari extension and it then fills in my password (still not logging me in). I then have to take a third step of clicking the login name yet again in the 1Password Safari extension and finally it logs me in. This all used to work flawlessly for the Apple Discussion Groups and I'm not sure when it stopped.

Can you tell me the exact URL you're using? Also, see my suggestion below.

Next example is with this very forum. For at least a year I've had the same password here and today I tried to login to post this question and was informed I was using an incorrect password (using Autofill from 1Password). I went through the password change process and that fixed it (but I actually used the very same password), and then using Autofill again to check it out, I was taken to the login page and my credentials were refilled, but I still had to click on the SUBMIT button, even though in 1Password this was already configured to "Submit when enabled".

As you can imagine, I sign into this support forum a lot, and I haven't been seeing this. We haven't made changes here for quite some time, but it's possible that your saved login predates changes we've made in the past. More on that later.

Trying several logins (using Autofill) to test them, it seems less than 20% fully log me in without some kind of intervention, mostly having to do the same thing as with Apple Discussion Groups or this forum...clicking the login name once or twice in 1Password Safari extension to finally get logged in.

If you can tell us the URLs in particular you're having trouble with we'll be happy to test them and try to offer a solution, workaround, and improvements in the future! That said, in many cases manually saving a new login for the site will allow 1Password to save additional information from the form to allow it to fill better. Just try these steps to save the login manually:

1. Navigate to the login page
    2. Enter your login credentials
    3. Click the 'keyhole' icon to bring up the extension
    4. Click the 'gear' icon for Settings
    5. Click Save New Login
    6. Give it a name and Save
    7. Close the webpage and select your new login from the extension to have 1Password Go & Fill
    8. Submit the form manually if you have autosubmit disabled

And if you're still having trouble, be sure to let me know all of the details so I can test this as well.

Also, each time I select Autofill for any site, 1Password opens a tab with Favorites in Safari and then opens a second tab for the site to which I'm going. Why does it need to open the first tab for Favorites, which I have to manually close?

1Password isn't doing this, and it's certainly not normal behaviour. 1Password simply gives Safari a URL to load, so it's possible that some settings in Safari (Preferences > General?) are involved. Let me know how you have it configured, as I'm sure there's a solution there too.

Honestly, since I'm not able to reproduce the issues you're describing here myself so far, I suspect that at least part of the reason things are working okay with another app is because you created fresh logins there, and that this will help with 1Password as well if you try it. It makes sense, as websites change over time and 1Password has no way of knowing this. And certainly there may be other (non-obvious) differences between your setup and mine as well. Let me know what you find!

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Hi, Brenty, thanks for responding. The URL for the Apple Discussion Groups is the same one I've used for years:

https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth/signin?appIdKey=529eb2b096d5a3d54162171f0f29ba797e602812660013123243e58bc7bedf56&path=//welcome&instanceId=US&language=US-EN

I'll try your suggestions over the next few days, especially making completely new logins for the sites currently giving me problems. Many of these sites have been in 1Password for the 10+ years I've been using it. Thanks again!

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Brenty, I had time just now to try a few and nearly all are the same. Even if I trash the existing login and create a new one, the best that happens is my credentials are pre-filled in the login fields, but SUBMIT never happens. I tried "Always Submit" on these sites as well. The first one you can try is AARP.com.

With the Apple Discussion Groups site, nothing works at all. I created a new login, and clicking on Autofill takes me there, but nothing is pre-filled in the fields. If I go to the Safari extension and press this login, it then fills both my Apple ID and password...but SUBMIT doesn't work. If I press the login name again in the Safari extension, that triggers SUBMIT and I'm logged in.

With the 1Password forum, I think that was my bad. I was already logged in, and if that's the case with this forum it makes you think you're submitting incorrect information with the red "Try Again". I logged out and then tried it again and it worked just fine.

I'll try to create new logins for some of the other misbehaving sites, maybe they'll work better than the Apple Discussion Groups. Also, bear in mind that many of my logins work just fine, and have for many years, so perhaps this is just a site thing. More than anything, it the last step of SUBMIT that doesn't work, and that's whether this is set to Always or If Enabled in 1Password. Thanks again for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@LarryMcJ: Thanks for the additional info. I can confirm that I'm able to use 1Password to fill and submit on AARP as well. It just shouldn't be giving you this much trouble, and I'm sorry that it is.

The autosubmit thing may be a clue. I apologize for not picking up it earlier, since you mentioned you're using the Mac App Store version. We have a separate autosubmit script there since sandboxing limits us to some extent, and in the past we've had reports of issues when the script became damaged for some reason, and reinstalling it can help. Try this:

1. Close all browsers and 1Password.
    2. In the Finder, go to the following folder: ~/Library/Application Scripts/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper (if you have trouble finding that, select Go > Go to Folder and copy/paste that location in the field that appears)
    3. Delete the 1Password_Autosubmit.scpt file.
    4. Reboot your Mac.

See if that helps. You can also try disabling and re-enabling autosubmit in Preferences > Browsers. Let me know if that makes a difference!

You mentioned that you "created a new login", but did you do so using the method I outlined above? Can you clarify what you meant by "clicking on Autofill"?

It really sounds like you've got some logins saved for which the websites themselves have changed a bit over time, but that the autosubmit failure is perhaps the larger issue here. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

The folder "Application Scripts/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper" exists in my Library, but it's completely empty. "1Password_Autosubmit.scpt" does not exist on this Mac. FWIW, this is a new MBP, only about two weeks old.

I had already tried disabling and re-enabling autosubmit in Preferences...even rebooting afterwards, that made no difference.

It would seem to me if "1Password_Autosubmit.scpt" is missing, that might be the problem. How can that script be installed on an app store sandboxed version of 1Password?

On a few of the sites Where Autofill actually fills in my username/password, but then won't go further, I've tried deleting those logins in 1Password and using the process you outlined to create new logins for them, but it didn't work. Still, they autofill with the credentials, but just stop. Auto-submit seems to be my biggest problem.

Regarding the Apple Discussion Groups, absolutely nothing I try changes this one. Clicking on Autofill from within 1Password launches the correct site and login page, the login box is displayed, but nothing happens. Here, 1Password won't even fill in my username and password.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

brenty, I'm not sure what happened here, but I rebooted for the third time, and all of a sudden I was prompted to install the Autosubmit Script. Once I did that everything seems to be working fine again. The script was never there to begin with, so I would think it should have asked me to install it long ago, right after I put 1Password on this new MBP. Not sure what I did, but it's working!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @LarryMcJ,

Would I be correct in believing this just leaves the Apple Discussions Group login as the last obstacle to overcome?

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Correct. I've tried everything with the Apple Discussion Groups login and it simply will not work, but for years it worked just fine. I've deleted the login, created it from scratch, deleted again and let 1Password create it...nothing works. Clicking on Autofill takes me to the login page, but that's it. To go further, I have to click on this site's login in the Safari extension, and that fills in my login credentials, but Autosubmit doesn't work. I click the login in the Safari extension again and it logs me in.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

One more thing...the Apple Discussion Groups also won't Autofill from my iPhone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

One more thing...the Apple Discussion Groups also won't Autofill from my iPhone.

@LarryMcJ: That's a known limitation of iOS, since Apple does not allow apps or extensions to fill inside an iframe, which that page inexplicably uses now in 2017.

Correct. I've tried everything with the Apple Discussion Groups login and it simply will not work, but for years it worked just fine. I've deleted the login, created it from scratch, deleted again and let 1Password create it...nothing works. Clicking on Autofill takes me to the login page, but that's it. To go further, I have to click on this site's login in the Safari extension, and that fills in my login credentials, but Autosubmit doesn't work. I click the login in the Safari extension again and it logs me in.

No such limitation exists in desktop browsers though, so I'm at a loss for why 1Password cannot fill there on your Mac while it can on mine. Does it work in any other browser?

I'm a bit confused though when you say "nothing works", but then "I have to click on this site's login in the Safari extension, and that fills in my login credentials". It sounds like you are able to fill your login there, but autosubmit is the only thing not working. Is that correct?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LarryMcJ,

I just tested with my existing Login item for my Apple ID and everything worked flawlessly. So like Brenty I'm puzzled. I think what we're going to find is there is something in the details that will help us move forward but in order to do so we need you to be as descriptive as possible. Another possibility is we move this to email and then you could send us a screen recording, something Macs allow you to do with no additional software (it's really neat). That would allow us to see everything you do and then we can offer some suggestions. If a screen recording sounds easier than writing out all the steps you take can you drop us an email please to support+extension@agilebits.com and for the subject set it to FAO LittleBobbyTables - that will make sure I'm notified by whoever finds it :lol: To ensure a speed response you could also post here with the ticket ID, something you should receive in an automated response to your email. Hopefully one of these routes seems like a reasonable way forward because we should be working based on Brenty and I's experiences and we'd like to get it working for you too.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

@brenty: yes, when I start the Autofill in 1Password it goes to the login page of the Apple Discussion Groups and both fields are empty, and it stops there and does nothing more. At that point, if I click on the "Apple Discussion Groups" login in the Safari extension, it fills both fields, but still doesn't Autosubmit. If I click the "Apple Discussion Groups" login yet again in the Safari extension, it autofills and logs me in.

@littlebobbytables: Given that you have to talk with a lot of folks here, all with various levels of technical ability, I appreciate your detailed explanation on how to obtain screencasts, but as I mentioned earlier in this post I'm retired from the computing industry and also spent a good bit of that as an IT director and UI/UX developer (albeit back in my Windows days). I know my Mac inside and out

NOTE: I had added a lot more after this point, but for some reason, it didn't post. I'll try again.

The shorter version is why would you need a screencast if all it's going to show is me tapping on Autofill in 1Password and then tapping on "Apple Discussion Groups" two more times in the Safari extension? Also, Autofill for the Apple Discussion Groups used to work just fine, yet even re-creating the login still doesn't work.

I'll go back and keep trying this some more to see if I can make it work, but it's the only login that doesn't work, so I just can't believe it's something I'm doing.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

UPDATE. I just now created another new login for Apple Discussions Groups (third new one since yesterday). But this time when I click on Autofill it's a little different. It still takes me to the login page and does not fill in my credentials, but when I click the Apple Discussion Group login in the Safari 1Password extension, it fills in my credentials "and" autosubmits and logs me in, where previously I would have to select the Apple Discussion Groups login in the Safari 1Password extension a second time to autosubmit. We're gaining on it.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables: I moved this to email per your request, but it was picked up by Jamie Phelps.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@LarryMcJ: No problem! Same house, different room: Jamie is our other extension guru, and I see that Adam has been notified of the ticket too. We can continue the conversation there to investigate further. :)

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Got it. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

@brenty: I just noticed another login that misbehaves exactly like Apple Discussion Groups. I have an account at Encrypt.me and when I use Autofill from within 1Password, I'm taken directly to the login page, but my credentials are not filled in the username/password fields. If I then click on the login for this site in the 1Password for Safari extension, it fills in my credentials and logs me in. The login page is:

https://app.encrypt.me/accounts/log-in/

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @LarryMcJ,

So the bug that you helped us identify with the Apple discussions login form doesn't at first glance seem to be the cause here, in fact my own Login item worked with open and fill after simply modifying the URL (I had it still set to the getcloak domain). I found open and fill worked in both Vivaldi, my preferred browser and Safari which indicates consistency. It's a very clean sign-in form so we shouldn't have any problems here, indeed 1Password can't ask for anything tidier to work with.

Can you check something for me please. Can you restart Safari and confirm the issue persists and then also see if it also spans a new Login item. I'm just trying to see if we can narrow down the area of focus at all with what may seem like pointless tests.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Last night I started going through my 182 logins to see which ones had any problems. I got through "A to F" and other than Apple Discussion Groups which you've identified as a bug, I had two others, "Encrypt.me" and "Expedia.com". Bear in mind I generally restart my MBP at least once every few days and I almost always restart Safari daily, but just now after you asked me to restart Safari I did, and both these site worked just fine using Autofill. Seems odd, given the number of times I've restarted Safari in the past and they didn't work as recently as last night.

Not to hijack this thread, but as I was going through the logins last night I was also keeping track of sites where Autofill simply took me to the site and nothing happened at all because to get to a login screen you had to click on "Login, Sign in", etc. and you get a popup box with login fields and the actual URL in Safari never changed. Of course, using ⌘\ works with these and isn't a big deal. On sites like this is using ⌘\ the only option? Just in my logins from "A to F" I found the following sites in this popup category and I'm sure there will be many more as I finish checking all my logins. Obviously, it's a trend to have a JS window these days instead of a separate page.

TripAdvisor
    Cnet
    Choice Hotels
    DIRECTV
    Dropbox
    Flipboard
    Food Network

As I have time over the next couple of days, I'll continue going through my logins and identify any sites that come into the two categories of not working at all, or having popup boxes. Thanks for your continued help!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LarryMcJ,

We're quite similar it seems in certain ways. I know they say you just need to close the lid of the MacBook and open it again when you need to but I prefer to shut my Mac down meaning it's a rare occasion when it's been running more than a day or so. Then I take it to extremes because I use an application called Cookie to help me purge all the various browsers on this Mac with just one or two exceptions for my primary browser. Very little gets to stay for long.

Sites with these pop-up forms do represent a bit more difficulty than those with dedicated sign-in pages like encrypt.me or Amazon. What to expect can vary and is based ultimately on the site in question. With some sites the fields are always present and if you use open and fill the fields are actually filled but it isn't obvious. In these instances once you get the pop-up to appear you find the fields are filled and you can finish signing in. With others the entire form is generated on the fly and simply doesn't exist until you click the link. In these cases ⌘\ would be the best option available.

Sometimes if you're willing to dig you find that a site uses an iframe and that you can directly load the sign-in form and successfully sign in. Using this dedicated page then allows open and fill to work on a site that didn't look like it was going to make it easy. All of this though is complete case by case with no one solution that works best unless the manual approach of visiting the page and using ⌘\ is acceptable. My suspicion is if you're used to open and fill then even the keyboard shortcut seems longer despite it being designed to make logging in feel easier :smile:

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Actually, I'm quite OK with using ⌘\ and now that I know I'll have to on some sites, it's not a big deal. Many of my login sites have changed from a dedicated login page to the popup over the past year and I'm just now discovering it as I go through them one at a time since I don't use all these logins on a routine basis. And, as you said, I'm discovering the various type of implementation used...some still log me in even though there are no credential fields on the page at all.

Apple Discussion Groups, Expedia, Mint.com and a few others that won't work at all now, I suspect will start working when you fix the bug you mentioned. Thanks again for all your help!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

No, thank you Larry for sticking with us and helping me to locate that bug. What I believe I discovered looks like it could have implications for a number of sites with open and fill so discovering that is a good thing. Thank you :smile:

ref: OPX-1435

• AllUserNamesInUse
    AllUserNamesInUse
    Community Member

Just checking to see whether "Safari in iOS does not allow autofill within a frame" still applies. 1PW cannot autofill at thestreet.com in iOS but works fine with desktop.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AllUserNamesInUse: That's correct. iframes are a no-go. Nothing has changed in this area. It's possible it will in the next version of iOS, which I expect will be announced in a few hours, but I think that's mostly wishful thinking. I believe it's very intentional that Apple doesn't allow this, as it would make it easy for users to fall prey to phishing attacks by filling sensitive information into frames being loaded from other sites. There's just no way for a user to tell on iOS.

This discussion has been closed.