No Login after changing master password / Invalidated master password still required

Options
krumeich
krumeich
Community Member

My daughter has forgotten the master password. After completing the recovery process, she tried to run 1Password 7.0.3 on the MacBook. She couldn't use the desktop app, because the data present on the computer was still protected by the old master password. Even de-authorizing the computer didn't help. Only after I remembered her old master password and entered it, the lock screen opened and the deuauthorization was completed – and all data was deleted. Then we could sign in with the new master password and everything was set up properly. Is that a bug or a feature?

Is there a way to wipe existing vaults on a machine so that you don't have enter the invalidated master password?

1Password Version: 7.0.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Is that a bug or a feature?

Mostly the latter.

When there's only a single account on a device, or the account being recovered is the first/master account (the account whose master password unlocks the app), then the apps don't handle this well. What I'd like to see is something come up after a few failed unlock attempts that asks the user if they've gone through recovery of if they maybe need to go through recovery. If they've gone through recovery then we should ask them to input their full credentials again (i.e. the new Secret Key), which would let them sign in.

Is there a way to wipe existing vaults on a machine so that you don't have enter the invalidated master password?

Yes, all of our apps should support a way to do that. On 1Password for Mac it's the Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password data... menu item.

I'm sorry that that was more painful than it should have been.

Rick

• krumeich
    krumeich
    Community Member
    Options

Rick, thanks for the excellent reply. I hadn't checked out the "Help..." menu, so the solution was actually clearer than I'd thought. Your idea sounds pretty reasonable, too. Maybe it's worth discussing this with the devs.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Anything's possible. :)

This discussion has been closed.