Double Click to Open 1Password (Show 1Password)

Options
cs88rf
cs88rf
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

It occurs to me quite often the moments that I need to open 1Password main. Right now, it's at least two clicks (right click tray icon - open 1password app) or more often - because Windows ;) - three clicks (tray icon - setting - show 1password)

I wonder if it's difficult to implement "double click on the 1Password tray icon to open the main app." Quickly and easily, it's an intuitive way to open any program that has an icon in the tray under the windows environment. It'd add a nice touch and polished sense to the 1Password for Windows.

BTW, still no bulk editing of tags after a year (just passed my 1 year anniversary with 1Password lately).

1Password Version: 7.0.532
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10 Pro 1709
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

It occurs to me quite often the moments that I need to open 1Password main. Right now, it's at least two clicks (right click tray icon - open 1password app) or more often - because Windows ;) - three clicks (tray icon - setting - show 1password)

@cs88rf: Technically, it's a single click, if you hold the Ctrl key. Or maybe that's 1.5 clicks... :lol:

I wonder if it's difficult to implement "double click on the 1Password tray icon to open the main app." Quickly and easily, it's an intuitive way to open any program that has an icon in the tray under the windows environment. It'd add a nice touch and polished sense to the 1Password for Windows.

It's definitely problematic. I would LOVE this feature myself though, but I still hope we can find a reliable way to do it (how long does it make you wait to display 1Password mini when clicking, because it's waiting to see if you're going to click a second time? ugh...)

ref: OPW6-655

BTW, still no bulk editing of tags after a year (just passed my 1 year anniversary with 1Password lately).

We still have a lot more work to do on this, but this feature was introduced in the first public alpha of 1Password 7 about two months ago:

The best is yet to come. ;)

• cs88rf
    cs88rf
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the tip!! I didn't know the ctrl + click trick, but I'll use it for now. If there's a good solution of double click coming up in the future, please be sure to implement it.

I also just tried the tag editing, I selected all the passwords associated with (the only) tag I have, and unchecked the tag. It works great, only that it looks like the tag, which becomes associated with none of the passwords, will be deleted automatically, is this as designed?

• trailmax
    trailmax
    Community Member
    Options

I'm all for ability to configure what happens when you click on 1Password icon in the system tray.
    I don't know what the mini version is good for - you can't edit there anything and this is a primary reason for me to open 1Password at all.
    So every time I click on the icon, I curse cause I get the mini version I have no use for. Then I have to go back to the icon and make sure I open the full window.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

I'm all for ability to configure what happens when you click on 1Password icon in the system tray.

@trailmax: Thanks for letting us know. :)

I don't know what the mini version is good for -

Well, it's pretty handy in the browser. ;)

you can't edit there anything and this is a primary reason for me to open 1Password at all.

That's interesting to hear too, as many, many 1Password users only use 1Password in the browser. And, personally, I spend a lot less time editing than I do looking up information I've already saved — which of course I can do in either mini or the main 1Password window.

So every time I click on the icon, I curse cause I get the mini version I have no use for. Then I have to go back to the icon and make sure I open the full window.

Try Control-clicking the icon. Cheers! :sunglasses:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the tip!! I didn't know the ctrl + click trick, but I'll use it for now. If there's a good solution of double click coming up in the future, please be sure to implement it.

@trailmax: I wouldn't hold my breath on that one, but certainly if we can find a reliable way of doing it without making people wait when single-clicking we will. :)

I also just tried the tag editing, I selected all the passwords associated with (the only) tag I have, and unchecked the tag. It works great, only that it looks like the tag, which becomes associated with none of the passwords, will be deleted automatically, is this as designed?

Correct. Unchecking the tag will remove it from the selected items. You can, alternatively, enter a new tag to use, and then remove the original. We'll be adding other advanced tag editing capabilities in the future too. :)

• trailmax
    trailmax
    Community Member
    Options

That's interesting to hear too, as many, many 1Password users only use 1Password in the browser. And, personally, I spend a lot less time editing than I do looking up information I've already saved — which of course I can do in either mini or the main 1Password window.

I'm a developer. I get all sorts of places where I need to be able to put passwords into - RDP screens, SSH, horrible integration services that block password pasting or only run in IE(8), MS Azure or GitHub login prompts that are stand-alone, not in a browser. I have services that hide behind different URLs, so I need to specify multiple urls (hence editing). A lot of use-cases that regular online browsing type of user will never see.
    Also a lot of times new accounts created automatically in 1PW do not contain all the information I need them to contain, like security question/answer (sic!), hence the editing.

Probably I should give another go in Mini for all non-browser passwords, as I'm used to have large window of 1PW always open.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

I'm a developer. I get all sorts of places where I need to be able to put passwords into - RDP screens, SSH, horrible integration services that block password pasting or only run in IE(8), MS Azure or GitHub login prompts that are stand-alone, not in a browser. I have services that hide behind different URLs, so I need to specify multiple urls (hence editing). A lot of use-cases that regular online browsing type of user will never see.

@trailmax: Ah, yep. That makes sense. Thanks for sharing your use case! It's really helpful to hear about how different people use 1Password...even if some of it is "horrible". :lol:

Also a lot of times new accounts created automatically in 1PW do not contain all the information I need them to contain, like security question/answer (sic!), hence the editing.

Gotcha. I used to do a lot more too, as I would search for things and curse my stupid past self for not choosing better names for things. So every time I ran into one of those situations, I would edit to add some keywords to make it easier for myself next time. I guess maybe I've learned my lesson, because I find I've been doing less of that for a while now. But it took me a long time to settle on a system that worked for me.

Probably I should give another go in Mini for all non-browser passwords, as I'm used to have large window of 1PW always open.

Yeah, definitely check out mini. It's pretty powerful already, and will become even moreso. And for your workflow, I think it could help tremendously. It's often faster to pop open mini and grab something than it is to open or switch to the main 1Password window.

"1Password mini — it's not just for the browser anymore!" Cheers! :sunglasses:

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I was just about to file a feature request to make double click action configurable:
    Please add option what happens after login from taskbar icon - 1pw mini or open app or pw generator. Currently 1pw mini always opens.

For now you may want to add "CTRL click" shortcut info the popup that appears when one right clicks the icon. Is there a trick for the pw generator, too?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's certainly something we can consider. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member
    Options

8-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.