Some feedback and suggestions

sniem
sniem
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi team,
I really, really like 1pw7 a lot and am looking forward to the final release.

Nevertheless there are some things that should be improved sooner or later:

• Please add a popup info for truncated labels and a the option to enhance the size of the fields so that the whole text is visible. See this screenshot:

• If I want to create a new item for wireless routers there are too many options initially, please focus on top prio items like WLAN name and WLAN password instead of super long list as shown in this screenshot. Me (maybe others, too) mostly use it to add passwords of know WLANs on the go or when being at a friends home):

• In both screenshots you can also see that some items are not yet localized to German.

• I have problems in Tablet mode (Surface Book with touchscreen display): When the keyboard is detached and I open Chrome, open a page for login, tap the 1pw icon to autofill credentials, then the mini window opens in background and the chrome page disappears. I have to switch to desktop mode (attach the keyboard again), this creates a lot of hassle. I'll try to create a video to show what happened.

• I miss a button to force sync (e.g. some days ago I had entered a new login on my PC and it tooks minutes until it showed up in 1pw for iOS - I'm not sure what caused the delay but I would have liked to have a "sync now" button. This happened only once but I felt helpless.

• When one clicks to create a new item (e.g. login), enters some content (e.g. username and password) and clicks cancel - the cancellation happens immediatly without being asked to save existing changes. If you press the wrong button the data is lost. Please ask to save changes.

1Password Version: 7.0.558
Extension Version: Chrome 4.7.1.4
OS Version: Win 10 Pro German x64 Insider build 17677
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sniem: Are you perhaps using a 1Password.com account? If so, the server isn't yet localized, so things like item templates and category names in the apps will not be either. I'm sorry about that. It's something we're working hard to rectify.

And good example with Wi-Fi Routers. I think for most items the width there is good, so changing it might not be a great idea, but it's something we'll continue to evaluate. Regarding the default fields though, you don't have to use any you don't want to. If you leave them blank, they will not be displayed when you save; and you can delete them too if you wish.

As for tablet mode, I think I may know what's happening. This mode fo Windows does not allow
    windowed apps to be onscreen together. So when you invoke 1Password, Windows either has to switch to that (and away from Chrome), or you won't see it. Are you able to run Chrome in desktop mode with Windows in tablet mode? I seem to remember that being a thing that helps. Alternatively, if you like using Chrome that way, you might want to check out 1Password X, as that is a self-contained extension that runs exclusively in the browser — so, no app switching.

"Force sync" isn't coming. If you encounter a sync issue, please let us know so we can improve 1Password. very few people encounter these types of issues (and, yourself, only once) because we don't have a "band-aid" like that in place and have to deal with the underlying issues instead.

We'll also consider adding a prompt when canceling editing — perhaps only if information was changed. Thanks for the feedback — all of it! We'll keep making 1Password better for everyone. :)

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member

Thanks for your post.
    Yes, I sure have a 1pw account. Another thing I'd like to see is being able to create my own categories and templates (nothing urgend though).

Re: Wireless routers: When you have a big screen, it's somehow okay, on a small iPhone SE screen the mass of optional fields is distracting. Not a big issue though, that's true.

Not sure how to run Chrome in desktop mode while the PC is in Tablet mode. The only option would be to turn off tablet mode while using the Surface Book as a tablet - not really appreciated. 1pwX still confuses me, but that's my fault.

Yes, please consider a prompt for cancelled editing - it's a default behaviour nowadys and so it's expected behaviour :)

Keep up the great work :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your post.

@sniem: Likewise! :chuffed:

Yes, I sure have a 1pw account. Another thing I'd like to see is being able to create my own categories and templates (nothing urgend though).

Definitely more of a long-term goal, but it's something we would like too. ;)

Re: Wireless routers: When you have a big screen, it's somehow okay, on a small iPhone SE screen the mass of optional fields is distracting. Not a big issue though, that's true.

Fair enough. We'll continue to refine the design over time, and if Apple continues making 4" devices we'll take those into account as well.

Not sure how to run Chrome in desktop mode while the PC is in Tablet mode. The only option would be to turn off tablet mode while using the Surface Book as a tablet - not really appreciated. 1pwX still confuses me, but that's my fault.

Nah, It's at least half our fault. ;) In all seriousness, 1Password X is still very young, so while we like the new design overall, we're still finding the sweet spot. Definitely hop over to that category if you have any feedback specific to that, as I know the team working on it would really love to hear from you. I know Chrome used to have an option to toggle tablet mode for the app

Yes, please consider a prompt for cancelled editing - it's a default behaviour nowadys and so it's expected behaviour :) Keep up the great work :)

With 1Password.com accounts it's less critical since you have item history and can revert a change if needed, but a prompt is also something we're considering. Thanks for your support! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.