Is there a preference to go back to a pulldown on a browser?

Options
lenny_eiger
lenny_eiger
Community Member

I'm on Mac. One user, 1Password 7.0.2, High Sierra latest version.
It drives me nuts that I can't just pull down to the right password saved for that login.
It also just failed to update a changed password, that was regenerated in 1Password - it didn't update the record. Cost me a bunch of time talking to my bank, trying to get back on.
It failed to supply the correct password for the bank's web site in the first place. Now I'm wondering if the copy command is actually working.

However, main question is while I appreciate all the improvements, I really liked just being able to select the password when needed, now I have to go to another window? Can we have an option? (If there isn't one already - I looked but didn't see one.)

1Password Version: 7.0.2
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Subscription

Comments

• chris970
    chris970
    Community Member
    Options

bump. this new secondary window is really frustrating. and especially annoying when dealing with 2FA. it takes way too many clicks to get the info you need that was available in one click with the previous plugin. please revert to the old Safari plugin functionality. I've used 1Password for a long time and this could be a deal breaker.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lenny_eiger - I'm not sure what you mean by "pulldown," but if you're referring to the older style of 1Password mini/extension, I don't think we'll be doing that any time soon. If you like, you can move the mini window over to underneath your 1Password extension button in your browser's toolbar, which will approximate the previous "docked" behavior of the extension. Your logins and passwords should appear as a sorted list there as well.

I'm sorry to hear you had trouble updating a password, but I'm a little unclear on the steps you took; if you can describe them step-by-step, I may be better able to assist. There have been times in the past and (I assume) carrying on up until today, where a changed password does not trigger the "Save New/Modify Existing" dialogue in 1Password, usually due to the way the site is coded vs what 1Password expects to see. Those can be filed as bugs, but they're not a function of the upgrade from version 6 to version 7. Also, if you used 1Password's Strong Password Generator to create the new password, there will always be a record of that; click on the Passwords category in the left sidebar of 1Password and then sort by Date Created, and you'll see it. That can - if necessary - be used to copy into the Login item in such a case.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chris970 - this "new window" is the mini you're used to from previous versions, just redesigned. It's not a new component of 1Password. I'm not sure what functionality you're referring to that requires more clicks than previously, but for the most common actions, it's identical. Particularly if you use keyboard shortcuts, you may not notice any difference at all. If you're interested in elaborating, I'd be happy to offer my thoughts, but without knowing what you're referring to, it's somewhat difficult.

• lenny_eiger
    lenny_eiger
    Community Member
    Options

Before this update I navigated to a web page and clicked on the 1password icon at the top of the browser window. I selected the site, it inputs the login info and off I go. Now it pops up the mini window.... it's distracting, and large...

As tot he problem I had with updating a password, I had trouble logging in to my bank. I got a new temporary password, then updated to a new password using the generator and clicked on the "update password" button. It didn't take... I had to create another new password, on my own vs using the password generator, so that I could write it down, and then went and updated the record in 1Password. I understand this is anectdotal. It may have been that the record was open in 1Password and there was a record lock, but there was no indication of this, and no way to recover.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lenny_eiger

Before this update I navigated to a web page and clicked on the 1password icon at the top of the browser window. I selected the site, it inputs the login info and off I go.

That's still the current behavior. The mini has been redesigned, yes, but in both the old and new versions, if you have more than one Login record saved for a particular site, you'll be offered a selection from which to choose. If you have only one login, select that one, and either way, "off you go," as you say.

As regards password changes, there are as many password change pages in existence as there are login pages. Most of the time, 1Password does a pretty good job of figuring out you're changing a password, and offering to save the changes. However, for the times this fails, we've built in a backup -- EVERY password generated with 1Password's Strong Password Generator will be saved in the Passwords category. This functionality is unchanged since...gosh, at least version 4, I believe. You can click on the Passwords category in the left sidebar of 1Password, then sort the list by Date Created (or Date Modified), and at the top, you should see the password you created -- identifiable by the URL of the site at which you did it. From there, you can copy over the newly-generated password into your old Login item.

Yes, that's clunky and inconvenient, but it saves you from creating a new 35-character random password that isn't captured and ALSO isn't remembered, forcing you to go through the site's "password recovery" functions. On the rare times when this occurs, get in touch with us and let us know the URL of the site where you were trying to change passwords, so we can see what we can do about it. Most of the time, it's fixable; in a small handful of cases it isn't, due to idiosyncrasies in the way the page is coded. But we can't fix what we don't know about. In any event, this isn't a function of the changes from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7. Did you have a specific URL you're willing to share?

• chris970
    chris970
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars - to clarify: I'm using OSX 10.13.4, with Safari 11.1. My frustration lies not in the mini window, but in the Safari plugin (where functionality is similar to Firefox). I'm using Safari Plugin v 4.7.1

Before the update, I would simply click on the 1Password plugin icon in Safari, choose the appropriate login and go. If I needed to access 2FA, I would do the same process. If I wanted, I could also click on the anchor and keep it open off to the side if needed. Which was extremely helpful.

The new update simply seems to have eliminated the plugin and just launches the mini browser. If this isn't the expected behavior let me know, but I've uninstalled the plugin and reinstalled, and the same functionality happens with Firefox. It's as if the plugin is now just a shortcut to the mini browser.

The main issue / pain deals with 2FA. With the prior plugin everything was accessible with one click (then a second click on the 2FA). With the minibrowser I now have to click into the item to access the info in the suggested list at the right. The fill button works for the login, but then requires further clicks to get 2FA. And it's also a pain to have that window keep launch as a floating window as opposed to a dropdown in the plugin. Make sense?

Also, like I said above, it was nice before to have the password anchored - especially for websites that maybe have broken their login and password out onto separate pages.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chris970

My frustration lies not in the mini window, but in the Safari plugin (where functionality is similar to Firefox).

They are the same. This was true in version 6, 5, etc also. Clicking the extension in Safari (and Firefox, Chrome, etc) opens the mini window. It acts as a conduit allowing 1Password to communicate with (fill into) your browser(s) of choice.

With the minibrowser I now have to click into the item to access the info in the suggested list at the right. The fill button works for the login, but then requires further clicks to get 2FA.

It shouldn't. If you're filling into a web page that has TOTP which you've both enabled and saved into 1Password, the TOTP value should be copied directly into your clipboard (temporarily) as soon as 1Password completes filling in the username/password. From there, paste it in and you should be all set.

This discussion has been closed.