[Question] Unlock on Secure Desktop

Options
hubpf
hubpf
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

We have "Unlock on Secure Desktop" from the old version. The new version doesn't come with this. Will this be implemented later or we no longer have this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hubpf: Thanks for getting in touch! That's correct; this isn't a feature the new app currently has. It's something we may be able to add in a future update, so thanks for letting us know you're interested. :)

ref: OPW7-1224

• Mezzanine
    Mezzanine
    Community Member
    Options

On windows, I've just moved from 1Pv4 to 1Pv7 and noticed that lack of unlock on secure desktop. How does this affect security on Windows7 ? What can I do to replace any loss of security?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

@Mezzanine: That's a good question. I think it's a cool feature, and it may be that we add it in the future. But it is a bit worrying that it could give people the impression that it's safe to use 1Password on a compromised machine. While the attacker would not be able to get your Master Password in that case — at least not when you enter it on the Secure Desktop — they could just collect your data as you access it instead, since they're in control of the machine anyway. So while can definitely help with that specific threat to the Master Password, we don't want people to believe that Secure Desktop has security properties it does not either, so it's something we'll continue to evaluate. Your best defense against any attacks against your data is to practice skeptical computing and use good security hygiene — especially online.

This discussion has been closed.