To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1Password 7 Subscription multiple computers

znoopy
znoopy
Community Member

Hi! I just upgraded to 1Password 7 and subscribed via Apple. How do I get that to work on multiple computers? When trying to login on second mac I get "you already have a subscription" and stuck..... Also, should I have chosen something other than subscription? I had an active license on previous version... Whats my best choice?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• normsky
    normsky
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

If you are a subscription member you can use your account on multiple devices. All you have to do is install 1P app and input, your login info and of course your precious secret key. Your data will sync instantly and you are all set.

For more info, please check this link: https://support.1password.com/new-device/

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @znoopy

You made the right choice by going with the membership. It is the best way to use 1Password, especially across multiple devices. When you first load up 1Password on your 2nd Mac, you should be welcomed with a screen that looks like this:

On that screen, under "Used 1Password before?", you should click the 1Password.com option. There you can put in your account information or scan your Setup Code from another device and link that second Mac to your membership.

• znoopy
    znoopy
    Community Member

Thanks all. The problem is that I don't get above screen on my second mac, but attached screen and can't get passed it to be able to login...

• That seems to indicate that you were already using 1Password on that Mac, as a standalone vault exists. Is there any 1Password data on that computer that isn’t already part of your 1Password membership? If not are you able to select Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password data from the 1Password menubar?

Please let us know.

Ben

• znoopy
    znoopy
    Community Member

After the latest update I now get an "already have an account" option on above screen. Sorted. Thx.

• Thanks for the update! Glad to hear that change helped.

Ben

• paulgrueneberger
    paulgrueneberger
    Community Member

I have 1P on a mac and a pc. I would like to add it to two iphones, I don't use icloud. Can I sinc one iphone with the pc and sync the other iphone with the mac (two different members of household acct)?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@paulgrueneberger - I'm not 100% sure I know what you're asking, here, so read what I'm about to say carefully and correct me if I'm wrong about any of it. If you have a 1password.com account, you can add your account to a 1Password app on any device. Just sign in, and that's it. :)

Can I sinc one iphone with the pc and sync the other iphone with the mac

It doesn't really work that way. It's not a per-device sync. Each 1password.com account user can sign into their account in the 1Password app on as many devices as they own/use. It's not the case that your PC must be synced with a specific phone, and the Mac with a different phone. Just download and install 1Password on the devices you want to use it on, and sign into your account using the above procedure.

But you mentioned "different members of household," which makes me think you might have a 1Password Families account. If so, then each person needs to do the above procedure, with their OWN Secret Key and Master Password, on whatever device(s) they want to use 1Password. Macs and PCs allow for multiple user accounts, so you can each use the 1Password app separately in your own user account on both the Mac and the PC, if you wish. iOS devices don't currently have the ability to have multiple users in the way that Macs and PCs do, so if you install the 1Password for iOS app on an iPhone or iPad, only one user can be signed into their account within the 1Password app. You can't both be signed into your account(s) on the same iOS device; it's just not possible. Hope that helps, but feel free to ask any questions. :)

• paulgrueneberger
    paulgrueneberger
    Community Member

Thank you! Yes, I am sure we have a Families account. So, installing on each iphone with our OWN secret key and master password would mean each iphone has access to that one individual's passwords. good. Where are these passwords stored, on the iphone? Security wise, I am leary of storing/accessing passwords on the cloud. I am also leary of storing the passwords on the iphone, or even having access to all my passwords on a phone. If I am logged into 1password on my iphone, and have my iphone lost or stolen, whoever finds the phone if they can crack my phone password, would have access to my 1 password acct and passwords unless I diligently signed out of 1Password on the iphone after each use? I am guessing I am missing a key bit of information, which I probably knew a year ago when I setup our 1Password acct.

• @paulgrueneberger

Thank you! Yes, I am sure we have a Families account. So, installing on each iphone with our OWN secret key and master password would mean each iphone has access to that one individual's passwords. good.

Yep! :)

Where are these passwords stored, on the iphone?

Within the 1Password app in a SQLite database that is encrypted using your Master Password.

Security wise, I am leary of storing/accessing passwords on the cloud.

The Secret Key makes cracking the data "in the cloud" practically worthless:

About your Secret Key | 1Password

I am also leary of storing the passwords on the iphone, or even having access to all my passwords on a phone.

This is where a strong Master Password is going to be important. If you're worried, make sure you've got a good Master Password.

How to choose a good Master Password

Adding even just one or two (random) characters, if you're concerned, can help a lot.

If I am logged into 1password on my iphone, and have my iphone lost or stolen, whoever finds the phone if they can crack my phone password, would have access to my 1 password acct and passwords unless I diligently signed out of 1Password on the iphone after each use?

Again a good Master Password will help a great deal here.

I am guessing I am missing a key bit of information, which I probably knew a year ago when I setup our 1Password acct.

I'd recommend reviewing our security guide, and if you want the real nitty gritty details, our security design white paper:

There is a lot of good information there that can hopefully help assuage those concerns. For what it's worth I keep my 1Password account logged into the iOS app on all of my iOS devices and I sleep fine at night. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.