Safari extension won't work for two user system after 1P7 upgrade [fixed in 7.0.5]

Brian_McCloskey
Brian_McCloskey
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

I have 1P7 on my Mac with 2 users. When I use Safari all is fine. When my wife logs in and tries to use 1P7 in Safari, the 1P7 button appears in the tool bar but nothing happens when she clicks on it - but if we switch back to my user account on the Mac, the 1P7 window has opened there. Currently this means she can't access or use 1P..... We have uninstalled and re-installed the extension several times with no effect.

1Password Version: 7.0.2
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: OS 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Safari extension won't start

Comments

• stillmoms
    stillmoms
    Community Member

I can confirm this behavior; after setting up a 2nd user account on my Mac, I am experiencing the same behavior with the Safari 1Password Extension 4.7.1 and 1Password 7.0.2.

• @Brian_McCloskey and @stillmoms,

7.0.3 was released last night which should address this issue.

Rudy

• Brian_McCloskey
    Brian_McCloskey
    Community Member

Afraid not - now on 7.0.3 and same problem still happening!

• stillmoms
    stillmoms
    Community Member

Installing 7.0.3 and trying on a fresh boot has fast user switching working for me now.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@stillmoms - glad to hear it! Especially with 7.0.4 out now, the rest of you should be able to update your installations and have this work. Make sure to quit all your browsers prior to upgrading, and let us know how it works for you!

• stillmoms
    stillmoms
    Community Member

Yeah, I actually still ran into the issue today on 7.0.3, so I’ll be doing a fresh boot and sign in on both accounts with 7.0.4 and see if the issue is fully resolved.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• stillmoms
    stillmoms
    Community Member

@Lars So, the issue persists for me on 7.0.4. If I have 1Password mini and Safari running on my first user (where it was first set up), then switch into my second user, if I use the global shortcut key to summon 1P mini it thinks the Safari extension isn't installed. If I click the 1Password button in Safari, the extension never appears. If I switch back to my first user, the extension's window has appeared for that user. I have to "Quit 1Password Completely" on my first account to use 1Password successfully in Safari on my second account if both are logged in.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@stillmoms - yep, you're not the only person reporting that this is still an issue. Hang in there, we'll try to get a fix for it out ASAP.

ref: apple-1428

• Brian_McCloskey
    Brian_McCloskey
    Community Member

@Lars, any progress on this yet - it's been well over a week without an answer?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Brian_McCloskey - did you update to version 7.0.4? If so, what was the result?

• Brian_McCloskey
    Brian_McCloskey
    Community Member

@Lars. Yes, I am on 7.0.4 and the problem is the still there.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Brian_McCloskey -- looks like this issue is still in progress; I'm sorry for the trouble. We'll have a fix out for it as quickly as possible. This looks to be an issue with uncommon interactions with some Fast User Switching setups, and once we have it reliably nailed down, it will appear in an update, which you can verify in the release notes. Thanks for your patience! :)

• chongo
    chongo
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

I can confirm the same problem. I cold boot and login to 1 user, then switch to a second user. On that 2nd user I start safari and use the browser extension. The problem comes because the browser extension window is placed on the window of the 1st user! If I switch over to the 1st user, I find an extension window asking for the vault password that the 1st user didn't ask for!

Workarounds include using the 1Password icon on the top bar, or launching the 1Password app from the dock instead of using the browser extension.

I am using 1Password 7 version 7.0.4 (70004001) and safari extension version 4.7.1 on macOS 10.13.5 and safari 11.1.1 (13606.2.8).

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know @chongo. We'll have a fix out for it as quickly as possible, thanks for your patience :smile:.

• rayzrshrp
    rayzrshrp
    Community Member

What a relief to see other users are experiencing the exact same issue as myself. Mark me down for the Mac user and wife. Luckily I do not use safari under my profile and she only uses it but this issue is clearly still an issue.

Hoping for solution soon.

• jtosca
    jtosca
    Community Member

Same issue here, I can confirm I'm on 7.0.4, I have installed a few times, issue persist. Any ETA for a fix?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @jtosca! Since you're new here, you may not be aware that We don't announce timelines for new features or bug fixes, as many factors (some beyond our control) affect them. Please stay tuned, and thanks for your patience. Also, in the meantime, it's worth repeating that only Safari seems to be affected by this bug; switching either temporarily or permanently to Chrome or Firefox appears to be a reliable workaround. So does not using Fast User Switching for a while - logging out completely when another person wants to log in. Hope that helps!

• fl6nders
    fl6nders
    Community Member

Hi, same problem here. Very annoying ...

• pinskerj
    pinskerj
    Community Member

Same problem here with 1Password Mac 7.0.4. 1Password 7 is not usable on any of the laptops our family shares with multiple users logged in. Please fix this bug. Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @fl6nders! For you, @pinskerj and anyone else reading this thread, let me repeat what we've said in other threads: there is indeed an interaction between 1Password 7, Safari and macOS's Fast User Switching that is making it impossible for those with more than one user to use 1Password successfully. Only the first-logged-in user can use 1Password in Safari.

Our developers are currently working on a fix for this issue, but in the meantime, there are two workarounds for it;

1. Use any other supported browser. Neither Chrome nor Firefox exhibit this issue, so if you're comfortable switching temporarily, this should eliminate the issue.
      -OR-
    2. Don't use Fast User Switching until we have a more-permanent solution. You don't have to turn it off in System Preferences, and you can of course still switch from user to user, but only by logging the first user out and then the second user in, so that only one person is signed in at a time. This will also allow you to continue using Safari and 1Password as you expect.

We're sorry for the inconvenience, and please keep an eye on release notes in updates for notice of a solution.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Brian_McCloskey @stillmoms @fl6nders @pinskerj @jtosca @rayzrshrp @chongo,

We have released a fix for this in 1Password 7.0.5, which is currently in beta. If you are running 1Password 7 from our website (not the Mac App Store) and would like the fix right now, you can go to Preference > Updates > Include beta builds. Please let us know if this successfully fixes your problem.

1Password 7.0.5 should make it to the stable channel later this week if you prefer to not use the beta release.

ref: apple-1428

• chongo
    chongo
    Community Member

Hi @JadC,

I will wait until the non-beta release. Thank you for letting me know about the potential fix on the way.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

No problem @chongo! :smile:

• Brian_McCloskey
    Brian_McCloskey
    Community Member

Hi @JadC, Thanks for the message which is good news - but I will wait for the non-beta version.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Brian_McCloskey - no worries. As always, it may take a bit longer to make its way to the Mac App Store version, if you're using that. Usually, it's less than a week extra, and often it's only a matter of hours, but unless something goes wildly wrong with the beta, you should see this in the stable release soon. Cheers! :)

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

@chongo @Brian_McCloskey Hi guys, we just released 7.0.5 to the stable channel. It may take a bit to make its way to the App Store.

• stillmoms
    stillmoms
    Community Member

7.0.5 has fixed this issue for me, thanks for all the hard work AgileBits!

• chongo
    chongo
    Community Member

It appears that 7.0.5 fixed this problem. Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

@chongo, @stillmoms: Thanks for letting us know, both of you! But please update to 7.0.7 as well. We addressed some additional issues there. Hopefully you'll be all set, but we're here if you need us. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.