Clicking on icon in toolbar does not open 1PW7

Bob_James
Bob_James
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I've read several posts on this subject, but I could not find one that solves my problem.
I've installed 1PW7 on two Win10 machines and neither installation created a desktop icon. I've had to go into the program folder and create a shortcut. Then with the shortcut on the desktop (or when put into the Toolbar), clicking on the icon does not open 1PW. I have to right click and run as administrator.
Also "Restart Helper" does not appear in the Help drop-down (as suggested in one post).

1Password Version: 7.0.558
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: win10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:clicking icon does not open 1PW7

Comments

• Hi @Bob_James,

Thanks for writing in.

I've installed 1PW7 on two Win10 machines and neither installation created a desktop icon.

This is normal, there will not be any icons created by default on your desktop or taskbar, it'll only create it in the start menu. We'd like to add an option to our installer for this in the future.

Then with the shortcut on the desktop (or when put into the Toolbar), clicking on the icon does not open 1PW.

When you did this, do you have 1Password icon in the notification area? Depending on how you create the shortcut, it may start 1Password into the notification area silently.

I have to right click and run as administrator.

Do not do this, admin rights is not required and doing this can break how 1Password works.

Did you originally install 1Password with admin rights on both machines? If yes, you'll need to uninstall 1Password on both machines, install it normally without admin rights. This should make it be more reliable.

Also, make sure 1Password 4 is uninstalled if you have this installed, it may prevent the 1Password extension from connecting to 1Password 7. If you do this, you have to reboot once before opening 1Password 7.

Let me know if this helps.

• Bob_James
    Bob_James
    Community Member

After I uninstalled 1PW4 everything works fine :)

When you did this, do you have 1Password icon in the notification area?
    Yes, but I was trying to open it with the Desktop icon.

Do not do this, admin rights is not required and doing this can break how 1Password works.
    Seems to be working okay.

If yes, you'll need to uninstall 1Password 1PW7
    If I uninstall it what will happen to all my passwords?

• Hi @Bob_James,

That's great, and in that case you don't need to do anything else.

If I uninstall it what will happen to all my passwords?

Nothing happens to your 1Password data when you install or uninstall 1Password, they're stored separately and are not removed when you install 1Password.

The problem when you install with admin rights, you're installing 1Password app and data to your administrative profile, not the current user profile. So, it would be in the wrong directory.

If everything looks okay, we can leave it be.

• Bob_James
    Bob_James
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

If everything looks okay, we can leave it be.

Glad to hear that!! Thank you.

Clicking on a "Favorite" and having it "automatically" fill in ID and Password so the site opens directly = AWESOME!
    but 1. below would be the best way.

Remaining Problems
    1. 1PW extension 4.7.1.90 does not work in FireFox 60.0.2. :( A hassle to have to do "ctrl-alt-\", find login, and then click it.
    2. Also "Restart Helper" does not appear in the Help drop-down
    3. Can you add "underline" to "Leave a Comment"?
    4. "Keep me signed in" does not work. It still opens with "sign in".
    5. Right-clicking on sites "Enter ID or Email" or "Enter Password" includes a 1PW icon, but clicking on it does not bring up 1PW
    6. 1PW Save does not work when opening a new website account

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    1. 1PW extension 4.7.1.90 does not work in FireFox 60.0.2. :( A hassle to have to do "ctrl-alt-\", find login, and then click it.

@Bob_James: Can you clarify what "does not work"? What are the exact steps you're taking, and what's the result? It's definitely working here, so I'm sure we can find a solution with some more details. :)

1. Also "Restart Helper" does not appear in the Help drop-down

1Password 7 doesn't have a separate Helper. The app runs in your notification area even when you close the main window. This is all a single app. So if you want to restart it for some reason, you'll need to quit that from the icon and then relaunch 1Password.

1. Can you add "underline" to "Leave a Comment"?

We don't make the forum software, but it does support HTML. ;)

1. "Keep me signed in" does not work. It still opens with "sign in".

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

1. Right-clicking on sites "Enter ID or Email" or "Enter Password" includes a 1PW icon, but clicking on it does not bring up 1PW

Is this also in Firefox?

1. 1PW Save does not work when opening a new website account

It will really depend on the site. Let me know the URL and I'll be happy to investigate. But I suspect that this is related to the other issues you're having with your browser. Are you able to manually save a new login?

• Bob_James
    Bob_James
    Community Member

1PW extension 4.7.1.90 does not work in FireFox 60.0.2 can you clarify what "does not work"? What are the exact steps you're taking, and what's the result?

1PW7 greyed out

even though the login is in 1PW7

Is this also in Firefox?

Yes

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bob_James: Aha! Thank you! So the extension isn't able to connect to 1Password at all in Firefox, making the the toolbar icon greyed out as well. I had thought that you meant only the context menu item wasn't working, which would have been much weirder. Either something is preventing Native Messaging from working in Firefox, or there's some other interference going on blocking communication.

Rather than speculate further, I'd like you to generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#TZB-78173-223]

If you’re reading this and you are not Bob_James, this Support ID is for Bob_James only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: TZB-78173-223

• Bob_James
    Bob_James
    Community Member

Sent: 2300 9 June 2018

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

@Bob_James: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: AVY-84143-472

• Bob_James
    Bob_James
    Community Member

It was sent out as a MacOS, Safari 11.1 problem!! My problem is in Win10 not MacOS!!

RE: [#RXR-16291-558] re: Neither Open and Fill from 1P nor Safari Extension is working on 1P v7 Family, MacOS, Safari 11.1

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bob_James: I apologize for the confusion. The message you're referring to wasn't meant for you. That's why Adam was addressing someone else. They happened to have the same Support ID. I split you off into a separate ticket, but it looks like it was too late. I'll get back to you via email in a bit.

ref: AVY-84143-472

This discussion has been closed.