To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Emergency backup of 1password.com vault to local / iCloud vault?

Options
drewe2000
drewe2000
Community Member

I have my Master Password (and the previous one) for my 1Password.com account, but neither is working. I can only assume I didn't record it correctly. :-/ I am still looking for my emergency kit paper, but I'm not very hopeful anymore.

I am setting up a new Mac, and trying to install 1Password there. I want it to sync with the Vault in the account I have hosted by 1Password.

Fortunately, I have access to the passwords in that vault because my iPhone app is installed and logged into that 1Password.com account.
I can't log into the 1password.com website, because the Master Password is incorrect (I have tried many times). The email and secret key are correct.

In the event that I cannot locate the correct Master Password, can I utilize the logged in app on my phone to rescue myself somehow?
If I could sync the 1Password.com account vault with a local vault over iCloud, I could reset the Master Password and sync the up to date local vault with the 1password.com account, and everything would be hunky dory.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.14
Sync Type: iCloud and 1Password

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @drewe2000

Yes, you can use your logged in phone in order to rescue your 1Password data, but moving it to a standalone vault and back isn't really the way to do that. If you lost your Master Password, then that account is toast. You will need to create a new one. Since you can still log in via Touch ID on your phone, the best thing to do is create a new account, connect it to the phone, transfer your data from the old account to the new one and then remove the old account.

In order to make sure that you don't get locked out of 1Password until your data is safe, I would suggest going to 1Password's security settings on your phone and temporarily disabling all of the auto-lock options. They can be turned back on once the old account is removed from the device.

If you have troubles, let me know. :)

• drewe2000
    drewe2000
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you - I'm going to continue looking for the Master Password. If I can't find it, I will go through those steps. I'd like to maintain the longstanding subscription I have without completely starting a new account.

If I have any trouble, I'll let you know.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

@drewe2000 Alternatively, and I feel rather dumb for not looking into this earlier as it is a much easier solution, you can get the other person in your Family account to make use of the Family recovery tools in order to regain access to your account and reset the Master Password. Take a look at https://support.1password.com/recovery.

• drewe2000
    drewe2000
    Community Member
    Options

I should have mentioned that - although I have a family account, and plan to set my family up with access, I'm the only one using it. That would have been a great solution, had I followed through. (or not misplaced that password to begin with)

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, well then yes, @drewe2000, my earlier suggestion will be the only way forward unless you can recover your Master Password. As for retaining the subscription, we can transfer that over from the current account to a new one, if that's what you end up doing, so that wouldn't be an issue. We would have to accomplish that over email, however, rather than this public forum.

• drewe2000
    drewe2000
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

To tie up loose ends - it worked!

I was holding your initial suggestion in reserve (I was afraid, probably unrealistically, of something going wrong and me losing my database completely).

When I initially set up my online 1Password.com account for my family, I did invite my wife (I didn't even remember doing this, ages ago). She activated her account and got a few passwords stored, and then stopped using it. I was able to determine that she had an account by searching her email archives. My next mission is to get her using 1Password again...

It was so long ago, I wasn't sure we could even get back into her account, but I was able to do so, and used her account to use the Family Recovery Tools. I have been off and running since!

Thanks for your help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@drewe2000: That's so awesome! Thanks for letting us know! While obviously it would be nicer if it were never necessary to do account recovery, I'm glad that's possible with 1Password Families. Things don't always go according to plan in the real world, after all. If there's anything we can help with on your quest to get her up and running with 1Password, let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.