How to import 1PW6 vaults stored in dropbox into trial version of 1PW7

Options
Indigosans
Indigosans
Community Member

Dear 1 Password

I have the trial version of 1PW7 installed on my Mac

After attempting the import of the vault [ File>import>1PW6>choosefile>dropbox vault location ] the vault is greyed out and not selectable.
The vault location is [ dropbox>apps>1 Password ]
I have 3 vaults in the dropbox account all 3 seem to be unelectable.

I also dragged a copy of the vault to the desktop and tried from there, in case was a dropbox issue, again this was not selectable.

I have also attempted to export the vault from the old 1password 6 app [ which you hid in hidden zip folder, with out warning or permission. as I am on a trial I find this slightly user hostile as was evaluating 7 and panicked when 6 vanished after install, but that is another issue]

I would like to import the vault and then drag into a new vault item by item so I can housekeep as I go

Please advise

Thank you

Ps
I hope the comment about 1PW6 does not come across in a moaning or disrespectful way, 1password is a great app but I think that hiding user apps without warning or permission should be highlighted / better communicated.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: osx 10.13.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

I'm very interested in the answer to this question. Although I also have a 1Password for Families subscription, I want to use my Dropbox vault account as the master password to open the app.

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @Indigosans and @benfdc! Try this and let me know if it helps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Choose 1Password > Preferences and click Advanced.
    3. Enable “Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts”.
  • Indigosans
    Indigosans
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Henry

Thanks for reply, but this does not work.

I did not want to create an additional vault on my Mac, which this does, but even after going through this step the existing vaults on dropbox are still greyed out and not selectable from within the preferences > import dialog box ( when selecting the 1 password 6 option ).

For clarity

I was running a 1 password 6 Mac version from the Mac App Store
    I then started the trial on my iPhone and still have access to my old drop box vaults.
    I then installed the 1 password 7 for Mac from AgileBits website

This left a clean install of 1PW7 but zipping and Hiding a fully purchased app 1PW6 with the import options not working.

From 1PW7 I then went through the steps listed in the previous comment [File>import>1PW6>choosefile>dropbox vault location]

The vaults are 1PW6 faults even when I have moved the vault [by dragging vault folder to desktop]
    I am still not able to import via your import dialog.

Surely it should not be this hard to import from an existing vault and it does not appear the import mechanism works fully.

Can you please advise further

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Indigosans: I guess maybe we're confused about what you're trying to do then. Where are you "importing" these vaults? If you mean you just want to add them to 1Password, you should be able to double-click them to do so, now that local vaults are enabled. The "import" option is for unsupported data formats, like exports from other apps, or the legacy AgileKeychain. Does that help? If you're still having trouble, could you clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• Indigosans
    Indigosans
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty

Thanks for your reply

I wanted to add my old 1PW6 faults into 1PW7 kept as a vault so that I could drag over each item into my new 1PW7 vault.
    I think, as you say, maybe with out screenshots this might be confusing, as the import dialog specifically states data coming from 1PW6 which is what I select to import from.

the vaults are on dropbox and greyed out so can not select when asked to choose them via import dialog

I am sure I am missing something, I have been using 1PW for years and is one of my fav apps that I recommend all the time, so I am not trying to hate on it,

would it be best to communicate via email so I can send you all screenshots that way ? maybe quicker ?

• Indigosans
    Indigosans
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I have found a solution by searching the rest of your forum.

Double clicking the vault icon in dropbox brings in the vault to 1PW7 so I can use on the Mac.

Some other points I found that might be specific to my case but maybe useful to other users

Double clicking a vault whilst on the desktop ( that was dragged from dropbox to the desktop ) does not work delivers a keychain message

Using the file > import menu from 1PW7 does not highlight the vaults in dropbox and therefore not able to import. ( maybe I am misunderstanding the purpose of that menu item but it does include a 1PW6 option )

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Indigosans

the existing vaults on dropbox are still greyed out and not selectable from within the preferences > import dialog box ( when selecting the 1 password 6 option ).

That's because the 1Password 6 option is for importing only the full SQLite file from an existing 1Password 6 for Mac setup, not sync keychains like Agile Keychain. The import menu in your screenshot has multiple options. The top option, 1Password Keychain, is the one that will import Agile Keychains (which are deprecated in 1Password 7 for Mac). Note: it will NOT allow you to open or sync with Agile Keychains. But it WILL import the data into the existing 1Password 7 for Mac vault of your choice.

If your old 1Password 6 for Mac vaults synced via Dropbox are in the Agile Keychain format (you can look at your Dropbox folder to see the filename (ending in either .agilekeychain or .opvault), then they can ONLY be imported, not used directly in 1Password 7 for Mac. Conversely, if you have OPVaults, this Import command will NOT work, because OPVault is the current format, and CAN be opened in 1Password 7 for Mac by double-clicking.

However, if you previously had 1Password 6 for Mac installed on your Mac, the 1Password 7 for Mac installer should have imported your data when you ran it. Did that not happen? It seems not, based on this comment:

I then installed the 1 password 7 for Mac from AgileBits website. This left a clean install of 1PW7...

Can I ask: when you arrived at the Welcome screen (immediately after installing 1Password 7 for Mac) which option did you choose?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

This discussion has been closed.